Netgear DG834g and Domain settings

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by SweetOrchid, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone please help me, I am pulling my hair out!!! I have just bought a new PC with Windows Vista and also bought the Netgear DG834G router which AOL recommend. I have set pc up and tried to connect to internet with this router..... It will NOT connect. I have tried all the settings (with AOL's help on the phone) still will not connect to internet.... in taskbar it says it is connected to 'Local'. but not internet. I spoke to AOL (second Level) who tested my line and said there are some settings missing and will get BT to put them on.... something about 'domain' dont understand this, does this sound right or are they 'spinning me a yarn'!

I can connect through normal USB modem on my laptop (windows XP). Any other suggestions please.... feeling at the moment I have wasted my money on new pc..... sob!

thanks

Jane

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

if you are connecting via a router - don't blame the PC!

The user data needed to connect to your internet provider need to be stored on the router - not on the PC. You need to make sure you run the setup wizard on the router and get your AOL details entered.

If the PC is displaying a local connection, then it can connect to the router - but not to the internet. So it definately sounds like you've missed a setting on your router.

Believe me, once the router can get online with AOL, the local connection will change on Vista and also display internet connection as well.

The modem works because you enter your user data on the PC, the modem only makes the connection the PC tells it to.

Give us a shout if this doesn't help.

Cheers,

Simon

3. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply... I am not blaming the PC. I know it is something to do with router or internet connection (line) I have gone through the set up and also with AOL gone through all the manual settings (as setup did not work) aol then said that some domain settings are missing... this is what I am not sure of and if they are spinning me a yarn

What I meant was that if I cant connect to internet, would have been better off keeping with my old win XP desktop...

Jane

4. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

to be honest if you can connect via the usb broadband modem (that's what you mean, right - and not a standard modem that uses your phone line) then I don't understand what AOL is on about just because you're going via the router.

When I switched from using a broadband modem connected directly to my PC to a router that was placed between the PC and the broadband modem, all I needed to do was enter my username and password on the router and away I was :eek:)

I'm just looking to see if I can get a manual for your router and just reading up on the exact settings AOL requires on the router so it can connect.

Hopefully back in a few...

Cheers,

Simon

5. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  6. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for trying.... I know all about the screenname etc... it is AOL's equivalent of Username... I will just have to wait and see what happens, I was just trying to find out if anyone else out there has had similar problems

Jane

7. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    all you need to connect to AOL is a valid user/passowrd combo

in the router goto the basic settings page:

192.68.0.1 user = admin password = password (change later)

input your AOL screenname @ aol.com e.g. [email protected] and password in the basic settings page under loing name and password and click apply - that should do it

be aware its case sensitive though....

8. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I do realise that is what I need to do. I have put ALL the settings, username, password etc in correctly but still will not connect.... but thanks for trying

9. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Reset the Netgear box back to factory settings. Plug it in to the ADSL line and power it up. Connect via supplied Ethernet cable. Go to 192.168.1.254. Let the Netgear box detect the network and configure itself. Enter the User name and password that your ADSL modem connection uses. (The may or may not be the same as your primary email ID, it depends on the ISP - you need to check.) If you do the above it WILL work.

10. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done all of the above and it does NOT work

11. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532

check your settings - should be VPI/VCI 0/38, PPPoA and your username and password in there - make sure to click apply

to figure out where its going wrong:

on the router status page click on connection status then click connect.

If LCP is allowed to come up then there is a physical connection to the exchange and the ADSL is fine

If CHAP authentication fails then its your username/password details that are wrong

on AOL the most common mistake is the username - it should be [email protected] and is case sensitive on the username part.

if you can get online using the modem, goto the AOL support pages and download the DG834G set-up tool - it will automate and test the whole process

12. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Router's broken then. I've installed lots of these and they always find the network settings.

Just to double check at what point during the install does the router fail?