1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear ADSL Modem/Router has stopped connecting to ADSL

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by House Song, Jun 14, 2005.

1. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two weeks ago I bought a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-5773364-9393253) and set it up with no problems:

Tiscali ADSL line into a filter, then into the Modem/Router, with PC (running ME) connected via ethernet and new Dell laptop (XP) connected wirelessly.

A few days later I set the security up using WPA. Again, no problems.

However, all of a sudden, I have NO internet connection through the device, although the laptop tells me the wireless connection is still fine.

I have tested the ADSL line using my old modem, no problems connecting there.

I have checked the physical connections and wires, no problems there.

I have tried resetting the device - it goes through the normal set up process but no connection is made.

Should I assume that this is a hardware failure in the device?

The only other potential issue I can think of could be to do with Microsoft's security updates, as these are the only other potential variables.

Anyone got any ideas? The device is effectively useless at present - and only after a week's use! Thanks a lot.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the same router and I had similar problems. I was just about to replace the router when I decided to change the cat 5 cable from my PC to the router. This seemed to work and, touch wood, no problems since.

When you reset the router does the green adsl light blink and then turn a solid green, which then flashes to indicate traffic? If not then it is not connecting with the server and there might be a fault either at your end or with the BT line.
    You could ask Tiscali/BT to check the line.

If it is a solid green/flasing to indicate some traffic then try replacing the cat 5 cable from PC to router.

You could try a new filter and ensure that there is one on each of the phone lines in the house, if you have any extension.

If all that fails then I would suggest that you have a faulty router and need to return it.

I empathise with your problems, I felt bereft when my adsl started to play up, what did I ever do before always on broadband!

3. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers simon, the thing's gone back to Netgear!