Netgear - Administration

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by WeegyAVLover, Jun 10, 2009.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Hi All,

I got my Netgear 200Mbps plugs a few months ago and decided, because I am a man, to through the manual out.

I think my plugs are running a bit slow and looking to tweak them as I have heard you can do that but I have no idea how to do this....

Can anyone give me any pointers.

Cheers

2. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Sorry can't help but saw the heading and for a minute there thought Netgear had gone into administration :confused::confused:

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Exactly why I looked at this thread.
    Title needs changing- just to "Netgear - admin" would do.

Chris Muriel,
    Manchester

4. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    well you would need the software that came on CD or from the website ...but theres not really much you can change that will alter performance to be honest, its all basic stuff. Depending on which ones you have you could get the generic manufacturers software from DS2 or Intellon, which will let you alter a lot more, but unless you really understand how the Powerline protocol stack is working at the PHY and MAC layers, then it will be guesswork...hence manufacturers such as Netgear, do all this for you and just leave you with the basics...

..in my experience, there would be waaaayyyy more gains to be had by lowering the noise floor on your home ring main ...but thats not really convenient for most people i.e. unplugging everything LOL :)

you can help them a bit by some basics:

1. dont plug them in next to "noisy" devices such as; switched mode transformers, halogen lights or other energy saving bulbs, washing machines

2. dont plug them into a power strip, make sure they are direct into a socket - some power strips filter/surge protect and actually filter out the powerline adapters too

everything you plug in around the house will raise the background noise on the ring ...it is cumulative, and the powerline adapters have algorithms built in to back off and re-send ...it can cope with a fair bit,but the bandwidth will eventually drop away to nothing......

5. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Cheers Bogie... (sorry that made me laugh) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments but I thought from reading the FAQ section people were talking about logging on to the plugs and changing some config settings using a command line.

but fair enough, I could have got it wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I have it plugged directly into a one of the plugs on a double plug socket, my concern is that the other plug has a power brick plugged into with (wait for it) a plasma, Blue-Ray, Popcorn A-110, XBOX360, Virgin Set top box.... Maybe that is the problem :clap: