Netflix's Unbelievable Season 1 Review & Comments

ozzzy189

If they keep churning out something great then something crap there's still plenty of good stuff to watch every month. Twelve quid is still good vfm imo and the PQ is much much better than the God-awful BBChd and other catch up services. Not sure why I mentioned those but I do feel Netflix come under a lot of criticism, much of it unjust.

Tim2049

If they keep churning out something great then something crap there's still plenty of good stuff to watch every month. Twelve quid is still good vfm imo and the PQ is much much better than the God-awful BBChd and other catch up services. Not sure why I mentioned those but I do feel Netflix come under a lot of criticism, much of it unjust.
Whilst I wouldnt agree with your hit rate ratio, Netflix has definitely got a little better in recent months. There is still a somewhat sterile, soulless, 'focus group' feel to much of their original content though and that criticism can't be stressed enough.

Their business model is commendable from a commercial point of view, but it's not good for 'Art'. In fact, it's extremely damaging in my opinion. Being inundated with mediocrity, with content that is almost literally created by algorithms, is not something to be applauded.

Their 'quantity over quality' approach seems to be softening a little though. Bodes well...

Dazza

Sounds great - just searched to add to my list but can't find it. When is it released?
The awful The i-Land is there :(

encaser

Distinguished Member
I'll give this a stream later, as Kaitlyn Dever was top notch in Justified (as you note, Cas) as the feisty teen with a brain for more than what was on offer.
I'm a sucker for a good police drama and this certainly sounds like it has teeth and something of a swerve from the norm.
Whereas The I-Land sounds less entertaining than Bear Grylls latest greed fueled bunch and something of an insult for Netflix to think I should be suggested it.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Sounds great - just searched to add to my list but can't find it. When is it released?
The awful The i-Land is there :(
Mate, it was released this morning. Have a look under the "latest" section or perhaps try searching again? Whilst they happily bury their new content, their UI is much more user friendly than Amazon (who also really bury their specific 4K content).

Dazza

Mate, it was released this morning. Have a look under the "latest" section or perhaps try searching again? Whilst they happily bury their new content, their UI is much more user friendly than Amazon (who also really bury their specific 4K content).
Thanks. Had to add via their website. The app didn't find for some reason.
Anyway its on the list :smashin:

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Watching ep3 at the moment.
Completely hooked. This really is excellent stuff.

Dazza

Yep me too! Its 11pm i think its gonna be a late one.....now where did i put the salt n vinegar peanuts

encaser

Distinguished Member
OK, so I burnt through this and agree Cas' 8 is a fair score. Toni and Merritt play well together; if a little set in their respective lanes, with Toni as the hardened detective who you know is a softie at heart and Merritt as the slightly insecure bleeding heart. Overall out of the two, Collette acted her way into expressing more depth, whereas Wever came off as a bit cloying in tone - just like in her Nurse Jackie role - but never to the point of switch channels.
Dever is consistently good here; as she switches in her inward despair to rage and total disappointment and then on to finally accepting that most people will let her down but, she has the right to tell them and bring them to account is handled really well by her.
There's also a very capable ensemble throughout this, that helps beef out both the police and victim landscapes. However, the one area that you never get a chance to wrestle with is the perpetrator, that is kept so far removed all the way until the end is perhaps the biggest let down. You never get to see the violent assaults from his perspective in any kind of detail to know even partially what is going on with him. It felt like it removed some of the horror that must've been felt in those attacks, with the same fleeting visuals being used as flashbacks by the women themselves. All you are left with is a basic account of what his victims and the police assumed about him and finally, that he said it's what human nature is and can still be when left unchecked.
This is, though, well worth a watch.

Last edited:

Hampy1972

Had to be done and oh boy what a rollercoaster, really enjoyed it.
Top drawer on everything from casting, production, script and of course the acting.
Toni (Grace) is a delight to watch but the actress that plays *Marie Adler* steals the series.

A cool 9/10 :)

NYCFCFan

netflix towing the party line as usual

MartinH32

Really enjoyed this and quite compulsive viewing. All leads were superb. Only let down for me was the last episode which seemed to slow the pace quite somewhat. 8/10

MikeTVMikeTV

Quite enjoyed this.

Not going to pretend I worked a lot of sexual assault cases as Royal Military Police, but I did work 5. 4 female, 1 male, 2 made up, 3 genuine.

Some of the police work in this, is obviously very good, from dedicated hard working police.

Some is that bad, that they don't deserve to be Police.

Unbelievable.

Winnie1221

Just finished watching this and really, really enjoyed it. When I say enjoy it's an upsetting story but the acting and pace are fantastic.

It made you care about all the characters, young actress Kaitlyn Dever (Marie) is a revelation.

Very much recommended from me, I'd give it a 9/10.

Slinkywizard

A limited series, where exposition and resolution neither have to squeeze into a two-hour movie running time, nor be stretched agonisingly over eight seasons are, for me, the perfect format. And this is a GREAT limited series. Anyone who enjoyed this should also check out Seven Seconds on Netflix. Another glorious detective one-off that many will have overlooked.

crabby09

It was utter dross. Pacing was off, story telling was disjointed and the climax just fizzled like a damp squib. There was some decent acting - but that couldn't make up for the underdeveloped characters, schizophrenic script and overly moral ending. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

NYCFCFan

The woke loved it .

Slinkywizard

It was utter dross. Pacing was off, story telling was disjointed and the climax just fizzled like a damp squib. There was some decent acting - but that couldn't make up for the underdeveloped characters, schizophrenic script and overly moral ending. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.
Fair critique... ^^^
The woke loved it .
Trolling... ^^^

mark6226

This very good. I'm halfway through and the show illustrates the insipient problems in the system. Gosh it's terrible how the young lady in series one was first abused by a man in her own house and then reviewed massive abuse at the hands of men whom in the justice system.
Tremendous series will have mysogenists climbing the walls
Just to update. I've finished series now. Wow. Yes.
I cried when the animal was sentenced and cried again at the end.
I spent my whole profession career working with the victims of abuse. Its unpleasant but rewarding work.
The evil that men do is almost beyond belief. Sometimes it's so bad It's almost unbelievable. It's also unforgettable.
Great series. Truly great

Last edited:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
We finished the series yesterday, absolutely shocking how Marie was treated by the police - I'd have liked to see
the incompetent police face some sort of disciplinary rather than just have to reluctantly say sorry, but hey ho.

I was also surprised that
Duvall and Rasmussen never actually went to speak with Marie themselves, but it was good that she called and thanked Duvall at the end at least.

Really good, 8/10.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
just finished this last night, and have to say it was really quite good 8/10
I thought that Kaitlyn Dever (who played Marie) was absolutely superb and just brilliant in the role. Also special shout to Danielle Macdonald (who played one of the victims - Amber) who was also very good indeed.
It had enough to want to keep watching, although I was a tad disappointed in ............
that the 2 police officers never got their come upance at the disgraceful treatment of Marie. I mean, they ruined her life for so many years, and a sorry just didn't cut it for me, despite the fact one of them looked genuinely remorseful (or perhaps relieved he never got done)
Still, all in all another very good series from Netflix

encaser

Distinguished Member
just finished this last night, and have to say it was really quite good 8/10
I thought that Kaitlyn Dever (who played Marie) was absolutely superb and just brilliant in the role. Also special shout to Danielle Macdonald (who played one of the victims - Amber) who was also very good indeed.
It had enough to want to keep watching, although I was a tad disappointed in ............
that the 2 police officers never got their come upance at the disgraceful treatment of Marie. I mean, they ruined her life for so many years, and a sorry just didn't cut it for me, despite the fact one of them looked genuinely remorseful (or perhaps relieved he never got done)
Still, all in all another very good series from Netflix
Yeah, the old diehard cop certainly needed a spanking from above but looked very, oh, well.
MacDonald was excellent at portraying the 'looked over' and/or ignored victim that had real depth and an actual importance and bravery outside the norm.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Same here, but seems it was true to what actually happened: