Netflix's The Wandering Earth Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Started watching this last night. But it was late so will pick up where I left off tonight. What I saw so far was pretty impressive. A nice surprise..:thumbsup:

Thanks for the review Cas..:)

Thanks Cas. Will check it out for the visuals alone. Were this an American production I probably wouldn't bother as the plot would lend itself to basically telling off and lecturing the audience about climate change. Being a Chinese production I assume this isn't the case?

Cheers, Cas, agree with hollow nature of this. Donald Trump will be tweeting it as proof that global warming is fake news because the sun will die before we need worry and, what do you know, here's the solution.
It's fun. looks glam but had my children raising eyebrows at me and telling me it's a fairy tale.:)

Thanks Cas. Will check it out for the visuals alone. Were this an American production I probably wouldn't bother as the plot would lend itself to basically telling off and lecturing the audience about climate change. Being a Chinese production I assume this isn't the case?

They get around that by making the sun the super villain :smashin:.

An interesting film, despite some of the politics (e.g. everything belongs to the state), although it makes a change from the "God Bless America" jingoism of some of the other titles previously mentioned. Unfortunately some of the visual effects looked like the 'Lost Planet' video game, particularly in DV.

Thansk Cas, I'll give this a go over the weekend.

Thanks Caz. I was hoping this might get a limited cinema run in the UK after becoming one of the biggest grossing movies of the year, but happy to get Dolby Vision and Atmos at home. I started watching this morning before going off to see Endgame, and found it quite entertaining. I found the picture annoyingly juddery and keep-Ed skipping frames (the only way I can get Atmos/Vision together is via Apple TV4k and I think this may be the one of those 24hz over 23.957 ATV has issues with). I switched to Netflix on the tv briefly and the picture was ok but bog standard 5.1 didn’t really cut it after the Atmos mix.

Watched this tonight as part of Friday movie night. I had a hard time getting past the juddery frames during certain CGI scenes, and the dislocation of speech from the actors' mouths. Apparently this technique is called ADR (dialogue tweaked/replaced in post) and is exactly what I felt had happened for some characters/scenes. This was apparent in the Mandarin Atmos track. The subtitles, being 'official', were in my opinion, subpar.

Enjoyed it otherwise. More Armageddon than Interstellar. 6/10 here.

Last edited:
Cas, will you be reviewing kingdom? It's a water margin/pandemic/zombie type thing and it's fantastic. Netflix , Dolby vision arc. I'd love to see your thoughts and those of others, we loved it.
Is it a series or a movie?

We gave this 20 mins before the wife said "are you enjoying this?". I said "no", she said "good, it's awful, switch it off".

I may as well watch my son playing a computer game such was the use of CGI, and not very good use either.

Utter rubbish. People are seriously comparing this to the likes of Emmerich?

The premise/story was laughable. The acting and dialogue was atrocious. The CG looked like a computer game. Even the soundtrack was drab.

I likely made a mistake watching the standard dubbed version but even allowing for that, I found it turgid and uninteresting with derivative characters, jaded tropes, very poor pacing and some very confusing storytelling.

It was an epic canvas, for sure, and a few somewhat interesting perspectives but I really found myself wishing several times that some huge hulk of rock would take out our 'heroes' and end it all.

I gave up progressing a few episodes of 'Halt and Catch Fire' for this, and am today regretting that.

Started watching this and turned it off after half an hour. Stunningly good looking - but it may as well have been an impressive VFX demo reel for all the depth it had. Souless, dull and totally lacking in drama. It was an achievement to make something so visually impressive so totally boring.

I imagine there may have been a good film in there trying to escape. The dialog translation also needed some work. A shame as I was in the mood for a good bit of SciFi, and I'm not too fussy - I even watched the whole of Geostrom.....

I likely made a mistake watching the standard dubbed version but even allowing for that, I found it turgid and uninteresting with derivative characters, jaded tropes, very poor pacing and some very confusing storytelling.

It was an epic canvas, for sure, and a few somewhat interesting perspectives but I really found myself wishing several times that some huge hulk of rock would take out our 'heroes' and end it all.

I gave up progressing a few episodes of 'Halt and Catch Fire' for this, and am today regretting that.

Sadly I must concur with every word...……

It is from the People's (yeah right) Republic of China.

Cas, will you be reviewing kingdom? It's a water margin/pandemic/zombie type thing and it's fantastic. Netflix , Dolby vision arc. I'd love to see your thoughts and those of others, we loved it.

Let me take a look.

Terrible overdub - why don't they just subtitle it?

They did.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom