Netflix's The Two Popes Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Just machine gun the whole damned lot of the screaming nutters.

Problem solved.

Then dish out their billions to those who actually need it.

And give all their frocks and kinky dresses and absurdly camp moccasins to the ‘Mad as Spam Transvestite Collective’.

Great movie in how the inner working of the Vatican work with a touch of comedy by the brilliant chemistry of Hopkins and Pryce.

This is Pryce film no doubt.
Wait for the pizza moment when Pryce wants to eat a slice but Hopkins grace is not yet finished. Hilarious

Solid 8/10

PS. I'm far from religious but this must be viewed as entertainment and not political.

Surely it should be possible to judge a film on it's merits rather than dismiss it out of hand because of the subject matter?
I've no time for any organised religion personally as it's probably sent more blameless folk to a premature death than anything bar the mosquito, but if I only watched films which came with an impeccable moral code then I'd end up throwing most of my dvd collection in the bin.

Watched this as well. The dialogue and chemistry between the two leads was incredible. Also the settings in Rome and Argentina were really well done. They must have filmed the Sistine chapel scenes before the crowds turn up. So a solid 8/10 for me - george

Really enjoyed this. Hopkins and Pryce are fantastic to watch. The Dolby Atmos is great too.

"A simple dialogue..."
Perhaps one of your most misleading intro's of recent times, Cas!
I thoroughly enjoyed this debate of wits by Pryce and Hopkins, as the popes sparring for ultimate supremacy in their respective grandiose minds that purport to just cause.
It's interesting in how ideals of thought twist and turn through certainty, to what will do in the end to be seen as correct enough to lead from.

Hopkins has played this role, in different guise, over the years with his air of authority in being the worldly intellectual that may appear to yield to new thought, but never really does so as he presses in the killer caveat of dismissal. Whereas Pryce once more sits in his more typical reasoned persona that quietly attempts to guide to his path of thought. One major thing they both share though, is a sense of humour in it all and this really stands out here as it's deployed without total cynicism or patronizing manner.
A welcome change to the usual ad hominem junk.

I wasn't expecting to watch more than 5mins and to get bored, but somehow it drew me in and I really enjoyed it.

One of the best things i have watched on netflix in a while.

Agree with the general consensus of those commenting here who've actually seen the film. Always felt that Meirelles never really followed though on the potential he displayed in the fantastic City of God (which, admittedly, he co-directed) but this goes a very long way to redressing that balance.

Hopkins and Pryce play wonderfully off each other and what could have been very bland ends up being highly engaging as a result. Top stuff.

A movie that had everything for me. Sir Anthony Hopkins who was outstanding, he even looks like the Pope.
A visual feast, and a solid 9/10 from me.

I very much enjoyed this, and while the performances will take most of the plaudits, the stunningly good cinematography should be enjoyed, too.

The single light coming on in one window at Gandolfo was a particular highlight.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom