Netflix's The Stranger Season 1 Review & Comments

I thought this was pretty average, poor acting and weak characters shown throughout the show which made it kinda unbelievable from the get go. As others noted, it had a Hollyoaks and Coronation street vibe which isn't pleasant to watch when you're watching Netflix, I pretty much avoid awful UK tele. This really could have been a lot better and memorable, just a bit of a wasted opportunity. Definitely not on the same caliber as Tell No One.

I'd give it a 3/5 as I did managed to binge it over 3 nights.

Wow! What a terrible review.

The things that bother the reviewer is what makes multi-layered crime drama so entertaining.

Either the 'critic' is unfamiliar with Harlan Coben's work or just isn't a fan of thrilling drama.
What I don't get about the review is cas said it was a waste of 8 hours of his life yet gave it a 5. My Mrs really enjoyed it, I watched two episodes, fell asleep and said she may as well watch it solo.
Please go watch 'Tell No One' and if you don't like that, then it is the former and therefore this can't be seen as a balanced and objective or fair review.

I'm a TV junkie and had not tried this program. I just looked at a review of it and combined with the OP's "teen angst" comment, still no interest.

NOTE: I have a total aversion for shows where every time something happens in the plot, there are 4 scenes where the characters pair off and share their feelings - sometimes even stopping in midflight when they are rushing to save their friend's life. That is so ridiculous. Poor/soapy writing.

SUB NOTE: If at any point, they introduce a baby, the writing is bankrupt and I'm out.

Watched the whole 8 episodes over 2 nights and found it to be watchable. Fine for a midweek after work where you don't want anything very challenging and something you don't need to concentrate 100% on.

Some of the acting was very good some awful.

Last edited:
Stuck it out for three episodes, but couldn't get into it. Coben is a great lean, suspense writer, this was bloated, stupid and lacked genuine tension (at that point). None of the relationships felt real, the kid actors were rubbish and even the lead cops' banter was cringe-worthy. Mediocre.

I understand where the reviewer is coming from. Yes, it's basically tosh, but my wife and I watched it through in two sittings and despite the massive holes in the plot,still enjoyed it all the same. As this was filmed around where we live ( Eccles, Manchester, Bolton, Stockport areas) we had great fun pointing out where all the locations were. We're actually members of the sports club where they filmed (Monton Sports and Social Club BTW).

.... forget to mention. That intensely annoying teenager who was more James Corden than James Corden, well you just would not tire of slapping him.

Wow Cas, that's a pretty savage review!

My famliy and I watched the show and really enjoyed it. I'd give it 8/10.

I found that the convoluted plot and large cast kept you guessing as to who is connected to who, and why.

What is the point of taking a book and cutting it to the bare bones to make it into a 'relatively straightfoward' tale? In fact, as a fan of books with large, complicated stories it irritates me no end when they do that, why don't they just make a NEW 'relatively straightfoward' TV show?!

I also thought it was unfair to say that one sub-plot gets 'forgotten'; it doesn't, it just gets resolved.

It did suffer a little from being moved from America to the UK, with things that are commonplace in the US seeming a little out of place over here and the scope of 'The Strangers' activities being narrowed to one town.

We've also watched 'Safe', by the same author and enjoyed that too. I suggest that if you didn't like 'The Stranger' then you shouldn't bother with 'Safe' either. It's very similarly constructed, as is 'The Five', which we are a few episodes into now.

Wow! What a terrible review.

The things that bother the reviewer is what makes multi-layered crime drama so entertaining.

Multi-layered crime dramas, when done well, are brilliant. The Stranger isn't. Everything stated in the review is pretty much spot on. I'm currently 5 episodes in and apart from the 'main' plot the rest of it is just guff. If the teenagers, Paul kaye, other teachers and the next door neighbours aren't in another episode would I miss them? No, their stories are zzzzz.

I'm only going to watch the remaining episodes as I hate to not finish a series this far into it, the bottle of vodka in the freezer will improve my viewing experience 10 fold

Finished this over the weekend, I thought it was ok.

Ultimately a lot what goes isn't really relevant or not very well explained, or at best it is very loosely connected to the main plot.
The show keeps you guessing, that's for sure and to be honest that's what made me keep watching it as I thought hmm how does it all link together, and unfortunately a lot of what goes on isn't really relevant and just diverts from the main story.

It was watchable, but not much more than that.

6/10 for me.

Could not disagree with the reviewer more.

My wife and I both loved it, and binge watched it over 2 nights.

Certainly did not feel it was drawn out, nor felt that any of the sub plots were extraneous. The kids bonfire party? Nice red herring keeps the viewer conjuring up (wrong) ideas about how it ties in, but everything does tie together.

There are a few things that were left sort of at a dead end, but heck, who didn't get away with some stupid stuff when young? (albeit not that stupid...)

Finished watching this series the other day. I quite enjoyed it.

A little predictable at times but in general a decent drama. And it was set in the Manchester area so it's gotta be good! 8/10 for me.

Yes I also really enjoyed it - far from perfect, some poor acting (that kid that wanted to be the new James Cordon was as irritating as the real one) and a face palm worthy ending that ties all the threads together - but it was still entertaining. I gave it 7/10.

I am confused to why you think the actor wants to be the new James Cordon?! Is this because like James, he has a large frame? I ask this as I saw no resemblance of his acting style (which I am assuming his character was directed in that way) between him and James at all.

I am confused to why you think the actor wants to be the new James Cordon?! Is this because like James, he has a large frame? I ask this as I saw no resemblance of his acting style (which I am assuming his character was directed in that way) between him and James at all.
Because he was on the large side and not as funny as he thinks he is. It was merely in jest.

I almost didn’t watch it after reading the review. Glad I did. My wife and I loved it.

All my 'real' friends that have watched this have really enjoyed it :)

(can think of at least 5 people that have said they did)

Watched this with my husband this weekend. Yes there are some plot holes, it's convoluted and I found all the teenagers extremely annoying however we enjoyed it despite this. It kept us guessing all the way through and we didn't feel we'd wasted our time watching this show. We saw the first 3 episodes Saturday night then binged the last 5 yesterday. I'd give it 7.5 out of 10.

To score it a 5 I don't think does it justice and makes the review seem unfair. A 7 or maybe even an 8 would have been more reasonable.

I have watched 4 episodes and both me and the wife have enjoyed it so far. Not crazy over it but its a good time pass.

Have you ever seen a skeleton from a previously fat person? No bigger than others. However, their lack of self control...HUGE.

Binged it this week over 3 nights, yeah it's a bit trash but still very entertaining :)..

What utter dross. 7 hours of filler and sub plots that were completely unrelated to the actual main story. Written by a child.

I really enjoyed this. I wanted to continue to watch. I think the review is harsh / scoring.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom