Netflix's The Sinner Season 3 TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
The Sinner is one of the best shows on Netflix. I'm a big fan and Pullman is excellent in that old favourite of a troubled but brilliant cop role.

Hopefully runs for a quite a while yet.

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow. Really enjoyed both seasons 1 and 2. It was indeed a surprise how the show still had legs after season 1.

Curious how you would rate this season against the previous ones? Ie better/worse/similar?

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow. Really enjoyed both seasons 1 and 2. It was indeed a surprise how the show still had legs after season 1.

Curious how you would rate this season against the previous ones? Ie better/worse/similar?

That's a tough call, I *loved* the first season, and didn't think it had legs either, so was pleasantly surprised by the second show's more personal angle wrt the Detective, even if it wasn't quite as good as the shock factor of season 1. If I was going to rate them, I'd probably give the first closer to a 9, the second just about an 8, and this third one easily an 8. So largely similar in terms of quality.

That's a tough call, I *loved* the first season, and didn't think it had legs either, so was pleasantly surprised by the second show's more personal angle wrt the Detective, even if it wasn't quite as good as the shock factor of season 1. If I was going to rate them, I'd probably give the first closer to a 9, the second just about an 8, and this third one easily an 8. So largely similar in terms of quality.

That’s just how I’d rate the first two seasons too, so it’s great to hear this is similar level to season 2. Thanks again. Looking forward to it.

Pullman is always quality in whatever he touches. playing a trouble detective like he was born to do it.
I caught this on a weekly basis couple of months ago and thought previous seasons were better..especially season 2.

7/10... For me. :)

I'm 3 episodes in to season 3 and am really enjoying. Slow burner but Pullman is superb once again. Certainly keeping me guessing!

We've watched a fair bit of the new season over this weekend and just finished either episode 6 or 7. For me, so far, it's the worst of the three seasons. There's some far fetched ridiculousness and a lot of the story just seems forced and fluff to fill out enough episodes to match the previous seasons.

Hopefully the last few will change my mind but so far I'm feeling around a 6 - 6.5/10 for this season.

Also, I like Pullman but the weird smirk that he does makes it seem like he's either going to start laughing or crying and neither usually suits the scene.

Thanks Cas - We will start this series tonight having just finished season 2 of Ozark ( 9/10 ). I would agree with your ratings of 9 and 8 for the first 2 series.

Just finished this, decent but thought previous 2 seasons were better. 9/10 for 1st season 8/10 for second, 7/10 or possibly 7.5/10 for this season. Couple of bits when I thought why would you do that etc? 1st 2 seasons were more concise & structured overall.

Half way through Season 3 at the moment. Not as good as Season 1, which would be tough, but not as good as Season 2 either. The Sinner is always worth watching but, apart from Season 1, I personally wouldn't bracket it with the likes of Mindhunter, Narcos and Ozark.

Same for me, did not enjoy season 3 anywhere near as much as 1 or 2.

I don't mind slow pacing, but apart from Pullman's character, I honestly couldn't care about anyone else. I found myself dozing or playing with my phone in places.

Not a patch on 1, or even 2.

1 I'd give 8/10, 2 - 7/10 & 3 - 5.5/10

Surprising comments, we finished this last night and both agreed that it was our favourite season of them all, or at least tied with 1st.
I'd go S1 8/10, S2 7/10, S3 8/10.

In my opinion Netflix does need to have a selection of regular drama series that subscribers will look forward to watching each year, The Sinner is one of them.
Season one of The Sinner gave every impression that it was a vehicle for Jessica Biel's acting talents, though Bill Pullman stole parts of the show, my expectation was that Jessica would make a return in season 2 or that the show was just a one off production, but Pullman's Detective Ambrose story deserved a continuation so intentionally or not Bill Pullman was always to be the real star of The Sinner, to do anything different would have been following the disappointing True Detective series, which after a brilliant first season fell apart creatively, True Detective is still struggling to enthuse its former fan base, even with Mahershala Ali in the lead role in season 3.
Fortunately for The Sinner Season 3 Bill Pullman is still there revealing more about Harry Ambrose's dark personal life since we began watching his slow psychological decline develop in season one.
I look forward to The Sinner Season 3, but I am trying to be more disciplined finishing off shows, so it wont be watched for a while yet.

Yes it’s a good point that it’s always notable - and encouraging - when Netflix gives a show a 3rd season. Given that the same money spent on a first season of a shiny new show will, I imagine more often than not, have a better effect on subscriber numbers.

Yes it’s a good point that it’s always notable - and encouraging - when Netflix gives a show a 3rd season. Given that the same money spent on a first season of a shiny new show will, I imagine more often than not, have a better effect on subscriber numbers.

The Sinner isn't made by Netflix. They grab the distribution rights for other territories while the show is entirely produced by the USA Network in the US.
Much the same as they didn't make Breaking Bad and don't make Better Call Saul. They're AMC shows that Netflix just distribute outside the US.

Netflix likes to put their logo at the start of a lot of shows they don't make and then pretend they did all the hard work. It's like Tesco's selling Birds Eye fish fingers with a Tesco sticker over the Birds Eye logo.

I thought The Sinner season 1 was the best one so far. The 2nd and 3rd weren't quite as good, for me, but were still decent. I definitely feel some of season 3 gets a bit too daft

I can certainly see that if season one had started with this, it'd quite realistically be game over if not for lock down viewership relaxing of scores - which has me wondering, whether viewer generosity will turn on many of them later on?
This run drifted about over lame indecision about arresting someone; that other shows seem to get away with, only by dint of a near parking level conviction to secure enough cause for a judge's warrant. However, the familiarity with procedural's was there in spades, what with the crazy latitude Pullman's Harry had throughout. And all that, oh it's Harry's near woo, woo ways of mysterious deduction that we should allow and stay clear of for fear of spoiling his portentous ways but contradicted use against him later when he treads too far against police procedure and/or into illegality but it's Harry, so... got on my pandemic threatening man boobs.
The story was pretty well signposted and so didn't help and every man and his dog knew how it'd play out. Though I can't help but feel that if such a big announcement hadn't surfaced that a season 4 is in the pipeline, it may have added a bit of doubt to the finale - even though it was with a whimper from both sides.

I didn't even realise that season 3 was available, until I saw this thread. I checked on Netflix and it seems only seasons 1 & 2 are available here in France. Unfortunately my VPN is useless, as they detect it and block me. Most frustrating. I assume you are all watching in UK?
I have another route, (not 100% legal), so will be watching it as soon as I have time. I will say, I thought, season 1 was brilliant, season 2 slightly less so, but I am looking forward to watching season 3.

UPDATE: I just logged into Netflix, using my vpn set to a UK proxy, and The Sinner series is completely missing! However no blockage by Netflix, to watch other series, so far. What is going on?

Last edited:
Surprising comments, we finished this last night and both agreed that it was our favourite season of them all, or at least tied with 1st.
I'd go S1 8/10, S2 7/10, S3 8/10.

1 episode to go on season 3, I'm preferring it to season 2.

Finally finished S3 and we gave it a solid 7.5/10. Think they could have featured Chris more in the present day and built up his character etc.

Halfway through S3 and really enjoying it. Personally I think its as good as S1 and S2...

What a let down this was after a particular strong season 2. Felt like this season should have been cut down by 2 episodes as it was dragging and there was no surprises left the revelation in episode 4/5 (I think).

Looking forward to watching series 3, I really enjoyed the first two series, though with series 1 setting such a high bar series 2 was always going to struggle to be as a good (plus, the gorgeous Jessica Biel wasn't in it either ;) ) Bill Pullman is wonderful and has really made this role his own, though how many more pyschologically damaged detectives I can take is debatable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom