Netflix's The Laundromat Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I watched this last night and quite enjoyed it. It's very flashy, as expected from Sodderbergh, and the cast is superb. I agree with Cas that the narrative was rather needlessly bitty though, and as entertaining as it is to watch Soddderbergh have fun (and it was clearly having an absolute riot with this one) it probably would have worked better in a more traditional format.

I think it still worked, and it's frankly difficult to make a bad movie with Meryl Streep in it, so for me this is a 6 or a 7 out of 10. Certainly worth watching, and it's impossible to argue with the politics (well, unless you're a total psychopath I guess), but not a Sodderbergh classic.

It's also still rather amazing to get a new Sodderbergh/Streep/Oldman/Banderas movie arriving direct on Netflix. Just a year or two ago this would have been a top tier cinema release.

Looks like a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels reboot but far, far worse.
This, Eli and Wounds; oh my Cas, you're on a downward spiral at the mo.
Thinking I'll try the Paul Rudd dramedy instead...

Looks like a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels reboot but far, far worse.
This, Eli and Wounds; oh my Cas, you're on a downward spiral at the mo.
Thinking I'll try the Paul Rudd dramedy instead...

It isn't even remotely like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

It isn't even remotely like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
I know. I mean in purely in looks.
Sat through enough lectures on Karl Marx to have paid my dues to avoid this.

Streep + preachiness, no it can't be! Streep is not allowed in this home.

"bitty" would be a great way to describe this film... The disjointed narrative removes a lot of the weight from the central premise. Having said that, I very much enjoyed the last 10 minutes or so :p

Last edited:
5/10 seems fair. Was reasonably enjoyable until it randomly jumped into another story-line then failed to tie it to the original story in any meaningful way. One of those movies that ends with a "is that it?"
I was really confused as to whether the "twist" (though you could see it a mile off) at the end was in any way tied to the "true story" or just another fourth wall breaking thing.

very enjoyable,7+

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom