Netflix's The King Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas, as we don't have Netflix, I'll have to wait for this to pop up on iTunes at some point, but sounds worth the wait :) 👍

Thanks for the review Cas, as we don't have Netflix, I'll have to wait for this to pop up on iTunes at some point, but sounds worth the wait :) 👍
I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've seen you say this on a couple of netflix releases. Would it not be easier to just get netflix?

Like the sound of this, wasn’t sure at first but Cas’ review has swayed me.
Does it look good in 4k / HDR?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've seen you say this on a couple of netflix releases. Would it not be easier to just get netflix?
Definitely could look like that on the surface :)
Apart from iTunes we already have Amazon Prime, which apart from some good content pays for itself on the free shipping (That's why we got it), but we really don't have that much time for watching stuff. Sometimes a series that sounds good from reviews & comments turns out to be not for us, so rather than paying yet another Monthly subscription for something we would hardly visit, we'd rather keep an item on the "check it out" list, & at some point buy one episode to see. Or grab it via Ebay second hand when it comes out on disk, & then resell it.

Nice write up. Although, it'd be nice to have some comments on the audio/visual side of things perhaps.. (?) Seems befitting...

Read a few books on Henry V and Agincourt lately, hope this is historically accurate ?! Like many films of this ilk there’s always a director’s version of what actually happened.
Its on my hit list of things to watch , but it does look right up my street .
great review Cas 👍

Get a free trial, we've got amazon too but there's nowhere near as much decent stuff to watch and their UI is a total pig.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Caught a glimpse of this and dismissed it right away :eek:

But if you say it's decent I know I will enjoy it Cas :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review, Will add to my watch list :)

Thanks for the review Cas.

Ive been looking forward to this, love the period and my gut reaction to the trailer (even though a Netflix production) was still positive v The Outlaw King trailer for which left me with that “another Netflix filler” feeling.

Timothee Chalamet was very good in Beautiful Boy and outstanding in Call me by your name, if he keeps choosing his roles wisely he could reach those Hollywood heights pretty quickly.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film. It looked so dark on my 2015 OLED o_O. Definitely time for an upgrade

Thoroughly enjoyed the film. It looked so dark on my 2015 OLED o_O. Definitely time for an upgrade
I bet it will look even darker on the day before Black Friday ;)

Watched this on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it but I like historical films such as this.

I enjoyed this although quite slow going for most part and the ending felt a little abrupt.

I do love historical and medieval type films so a solid 8/10 from me.

Great review Cas thanks. Watched this yesterday afternoon with the better half drawn in by the "also starring Ben Mendleson" tag.
Loved it and very highly recommended and agree with the 8/10 score.

Utterly brilliant and compelling viewing, maybe a bit slow in tad parts but that is history.
Top notch acting from Joel E and the kid playing the King.
The battle scene is well produced and pretty gruesome.

I love movies like these, the characters that existed and what they lived through esp in uneasy parts of our history were you could lose your head in doing or saying the wrong thing.

Quality script, excellent dialogue, production and casting.

9/10 for me all day long.

Picture quality was spot on too.

"Kings don't have friends, they have followers and foes* John Falstaff

Where is Sean Bean? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this. Looks and sounds great in Dolby Vision/Atmos. I love the use of natural light as it helps to put you in the time period of the film. Timothee Chalamet is fantastic, I think he is a great actor even after such a short career. He has a great presence about him and even when he is not speaking seems to transmit what he is thinking effortlessly.

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10 for me. :thumbsup:

I thought Timothee Chalamet was superb as the young Henry V.

The guillotine scene ..............

WOW!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom