Netflix's The King Review & Comments

Slinkywizard

I don't really care if it's accurate either to history or to Shakespeare. When I sit down to watch a film I want to be entertained. I was. Some truly excellent performances here, and the battle scene was very well staged. For me, this is undoubtedly the best Netflix movie of 2019.

kb33

Just watched this for a third time as I love that period in history so much , but more I watch it the more I’m screaming at the TV shouting “that didn’t happen *** ! “
Great biopsy of the film here ..

If it had been historically accurate I’m sure it would have been an even better film and deserving a 9/10 from me .

derekhansen

I would just like to add my weight to the posts by kb33 and Anvil53. Its an excellent movie but dont go looking for historical accuracy. Some of the tactics during the battle were correct as was the decision to kill the French prisoners but overall its riddled with artistic license.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
This always comes up every time a historical film is made, and they are rarely ever completely historically accurate. Because they are films and therefore more beholden to creative choices than they are to literal history. This is ok. The bare bones of the history are intact its only details that have been tweaked, as well as combined with elements of Shakespeare's play.

oldfart

Henry V (1989 film) with Kenneth Branagh adapted from the Shakespeare play is also a good film to watch on the subject albeit a tad slow at times?.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I know Sys wasn't a fan but I frickin' love this scene. Not just for the accents either. The scene perfectly captures the personalities of the three men. The Dauphin: cocky and playful, Falstaff: not impressed (beautiful trolling btw), and Henry calm and dignified in the face of insult while you can tell he's made up his mind to kill the Frenchman in the first 10 seconds. My most rewound scene of the movie.

Good in depth doc here about the real Henry. I think the film gets more right than it does wrong.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I know Sys wasn't a fan but I frickin' love this scene. Not just for the accents either. The scene perfectly captures the personalities of the three men. The Dauphin: cocky and playful, Falstaff: not impressed (beautiful trolling btw), and Henry calm and dignified in the face of insult while you can tell he's made up his mind to kill the Frenchman in the first 10 seconds. My most rewound scene of the movie.

Good in depth doc here about the real Henry. I think the film gets more right than it does wrong.

Edgerton's Falstaff is one of my favourite mentor characters in a long time, absolutely pivotal to my emotional connection with the movie. And that yawn was superbly timed, did more damage than any verbal comeback.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Edgerton's Falstaff is one of my favourite mentor characters in a long time, absolutely pivotal to my emotional connection with the movie. And that yawn was superbly timed, did more damage than any verbal comeback.
yeah check out those daggers coming from Pattison after that... sweet. And Henry finishes him off with that completely disarming polite retort.

Also Edgerton's Northern accent was fantastic... especially impressive coming from an Aussie actor.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Top drawer outing for Netflix - at last, film-wise this year.
Fine acting all round; with start that reminded of Tim Roth's irreverent Cunningham scenes, leading into many a studied sober machinations of Court scenes and onto the excellent battle final and was it all worth it review by the protagonist.
Shot beautifully in scenes making the most of DV in it's springing colours of, well, affiliations and surrounds. The clattering soundscape of the Agincourt battle is truly impressive and claustrophobic as the scrum hits mayhem. I never, though, realized just how loud I had it until I went back to a scene after the credits but this is not to say the meat of the film is a mumble-fest.
Chalamet really carries the role well with Edgerton and Harris at his side. Pattinson took his turn reminding me of Tim Roth's Cunningham;, in his French voiced psychotic rants, behaviour and sheer air of reveling in life and death for all the wrong reasons within his position.
I'll definitely be revisiting this one.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Agree with the positive comments above, we watched it last night and will watch again during the week. Really enjoyed it, great performances, in fact, excellent performances, very well made, beautiful cinematography, great editing, some of the violent scenes took me by surprise (especially the last one).

Assuming Branaghs version is a very different breast, but keen to hunt it down.

Listening to the score now, worked very well, subtle, not an overpowering score.

Would like to see more from the same team. 9/10

Last edited:

TerFar

Read a few books on Henry V and Agincourt lately, hope this is historically accurate ?! Like many films of this ilk there’s always a director’s version of what actually happened.
Its on my hit list of things to watch , but it does look right up my street .
great review Cas 👍
This is just a romanticised story based on Henry V and Agincourt: let your imagination run. Don't expect too much historical accuracy. All the same, it is a really good movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.

james03

Have watched this twice now and echo thoughts on here that it’s a great retelling of a momentous piece of English history. I had my doubts whether Chalamet has the necessary gravitas to portray the King at such a young age but he’s superb as is his supporting cast.
The action scenes are played out brilliantly and there’s a great tracking shot of the King in the midst of battle.
Another fine movie delivered by Netflix and co.

alistairgd

Read a few books on Henry V and Agincourt lately, hope this is historically accurate ?!
Nope. I really enjoyed the film but I have very poor knowledge of history.

There were a couple of scenes in the film, that even with my lack of knowledge, struck me as pretty convenient situations and very unlikely to happen IRL, so I did a quick google. The film hinges on a couple of scenes that never actually happened, so you will have to put your books aside and enjoy it for what it is, a very good film.

kb33

Best bit ; Hal to cousin ( Lord Cambridge )
“I would ask you to deliver this message , given your familiarity with its recipient , but I believe in the morning you will be otherwise engaged “
Cambridge “ Pray how my liege “
Hal “ tomorrow you will have your heads cut off “

Worst bit ;
Hal charging through the tree line shouting
“ ON ME “ 🙄

KenB123

Novice Member
I just happened to see the OP review post, and briefly checked it out because I am always searching for some good shows/movies on Netflix or Prime. I was hesitant because the time period of 'The King' doesn't interest me very much. Nonetheless, I took the chance on watching and thought it was excellent. One of the better movies I have watched in a long time. My wife also liked it very much. Very well filmed and action scenes were brutal. Learning a bit about King Hal (Henry) was enlightening as he was different then expected, which made the story quite interesting.

themovierooms

AVForums Sponsor
I thought this was a belter, I didn't expect much but the whole thing was excellent.

danny daniell

Tried watching it last night and switched off after 10 minutes. The dark scenes looked as flat as a pancake, virtually zero contrast with murky grey blacks ... made my OLED look like a 20 year old LCD