Netflix's The King Review & Comments

Evinger

Thanks for the review Cas, as we don't have Netflix, I'll have to wait for this to pop up on iTunes at some point, but sounds worth the wait :) 👍

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, as we don't have Netflix, I'll have to wait for this to pop up on iTunes at some point, but sounds worth the wait :) 👍
I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've seen you say this on a couple of netflix releases. Would it not be easier to just get netflix?

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Like the sound of this, wasn’t sure at first but Cas’ review has swayed me.
Does it look good in 4k / HDR?

Evinger

I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've seen you say this on a couple of netflix releases. Would it not be easier to just get netflix?
Definitely could look like that on the surface :)
Apart from iTunes we already have Amazon Prime, which apart from some good content pays for itself on the free shipping (That's why we got it), but we really don't have that much time for watching stuff. Sometimes a series that sounds good from reviews & comments turns out to be not for us, so rather than paying yet another Monthly subscription for something we would hardly visit, we'd rather keep an item on the "check it out" list, & at some point buy one episode to see. Or grab it via Ebay second hand when it comes out on disk, & then resell it.

Tim2049

Nice write up. Although, it'd be nice to have some comments on the audio/visual side of things perhaps.. (?) Seems befitting...

kb33

Read a few books on Henry V and Agincourt lately, hope this is historically accurate ?! Like many films of this ilk there’s always a director’s version of what actually happened.
Its on my hit list of things to watch , but it does look right up my street .
great review Cas 👍

ozzzy189

Get a free trial, we've got amazon too but there's nowhere near as much decent stuff to watch and their UI is a total pig.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas.

Ive been looking forward to this, love the period and my gut reaction to the trailer (even though a Netflix production) was still positive v The Outlaw King trailer for which left me with that “another Netflix filler” feeling.

Timothee Chalamet was very good in Beautiful Boy and outstanding in Call me by your name, if he keeps choosing his roles wisely he could reach those Hollywood heights pretty quickly.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thoroughly enjoyed the film. It looked so dark on my 2015 OLED o_O. Definitely time for an upgrade
I bet it will look even darker on the day before Black Friday ;)

gunner84

I enjoyed this although quite slow going for most part and the ending felt a little abrupt.

I do love historical and medieval type films so a solid 8/10 from me.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Great review Cas thanks. Watched this yesterday afternoon with the better half drawn in by the "also starring Ben Mendleson" tag.
Loved it and very highly recommended and agree with the 8/10 score.

Hampy1972

Utterly brilliant and compelling viewing, maybe a bit slow in tad parts but that is history.
Top notch acting from Joel E and the kid playing the King.
The battle scene is well produced and pretty gruesome.

I love movies like these, the characters that existed and what they lived through esp in uneasy parts of our history were you could lose your head in doing or saying the wrong thing.

Quality script, excellent dialogue, production and casting.

9/10 for me all day long.

Picture quality was spot on too.

"Kings don't have friends, they have followers and foes* John Falstaff

Where is Sean Bean? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Last edited:

google

Distinguished Member
I really enjoyed this. Looks and sounds great in Dolby Vision/Atmos. I love the use of natural light as it helps to put you in the time period of the film. Timothee Chalamet is fantastic, I think he is a great actor even after such a short career. He has a great presence about him and even when he is not speaking seems to transmit what he is thinking effortlessly.

Earthscope

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10 for me. :thumbsup:

I thought Timothee Chalamet was superb as the young Henry V.

Hampy1972

Hampy1972

The guillotine scene ..............

WOW!

Evinger

Hampy1972

kb33

Loved this ! Right up my street , But why o why could they not make it historically accurate ??
the French dauphan was never at Agincourt, Henry didn’t fight with Percy at the battle of Shrewsbury
In fact he got an arrow in the face that had to be surgically removed, but no sign of a scar on Henrys face . Henry was in the vanguard at Agincourt, pretty sure he didn’t run out of the tree line to fight the French ! lots more inaccuracies, but I’ll forgive them , as a masterpiece like this rarely comes along .
solid 8/10 for me .

Anvil53

Novice Member
An epic movie, gritty
Did I enjoy this film? Yes, it is an epic movie. Gritty and gripping as described in the review? Definitely.
The custom, settings, scenery, acting and set scenes, are all brilliant. You are emersed into the 15th century, with all it's intrigue, however, this is not the 15th century of British history or even of Shakespeare's imagination.

Is it an adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry V? Definitely NOT.
If all you have to do is mention a couple of characters, in this case, Hal and Falstaff; To make it an adaptation, then all I have to do right now is say, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, Julius Ceaser, Shilock and Two men from Vernola and I've already surpassed the criteria to have written an adaptation of Shakespeares complete works. This film may smell sweet, but a rose it's most definitely is not.

It appears that the reviewer hasn't read Shakespeare and definitely don't know British history. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who will now believe that this is a historically accurate portrayal of Henrey V; but you might as well have called the lead character Henery Lannister and then suggested that this is also part of British History. It's as believable as one of Donald Trump's tweets; and will also be believed by many as gospel.
I'm all for making a story out of an historical event, but at least the Shakspeare account of Agincourt rings slightly true and doesn't completely corrupt history.

The siege and surrender appear to commemorate the siege of Calais in a century earlier, which surrendered to Edward III, not Henry V. The town of Harfulr was besieged by Henry V, who then had to attack the town, through a breach in it's walls; losing a substantial part of his army in the process.
The French at Agincourt were lead by Charles d’Albret, Comte de Dreux, who's a joint command may have been part of the reason behind the French defeat. The Dauphin was nowhere near the battlefield.

Anvil53

Novice Member
Loved this ! Right up my street , But why o why could they not make it historically accurate ??
the French dauphan was never at Agincourt, Henry didn’t fight with Percy at the battle of Shrewsbury
In fact he got an arrow in the face that had to be surgically removed, but no sign of a scar on Henrys face . Henry was in the vanguard at Agincourt, pretty sure he didn’t run out of the tree line to fight the French ! lots more inaccuracies, but I’ll forgive them , as a masterpiece like this rarely comes along .
solid 8/10 for me .
couldn't agree more