Netflix's The I-Land Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
How's this compare to Manifest? Supposedly another LOST knock off..

It does improve considerably when the, not hard to guess, reason for the i-land is revealed, but as I would give it 1/10 up to that point that really isn’t saying much.

I’ll be seeing it through to the end out of curiosity, but only, as Cas suggests, as a time waster when I have nothing better to do.

Thanks Cas, was sort of looking forward to this, loved Lost and any kind of show that has elements of this would be on my radar, on this occasion though it looks like you have just saved me about 7 hours of my life! Thank you sir!

lol Cas - I watched all of it - I thought it was OK and maybe a 6 - nothing to do with manifest or especially lost as you do at least have an ending to this show and you wasted 7 episodes not 7 seasons - surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit in USA over the time we all spent (pointlessly) on lost

Big disappointment indeed! Let`s hope the Unbelievable and horror serie Marianne will be better, both are out today (Netflix)!

Well that review has saved me wasting any valuable minutes of my finite span on planet Earth bothering with this dross.
So thanks for that - I'll wash the car or creosote the back fence instead.
In my opinion Netflix need to stop pandering to the teenage goth/disaffected yoof/reality tv market and concentrate on making some decent gritty dramas that actually tax the brain rather than bonkers sci-fi, daft coming-of-age drivel and futuristic post-apocalyptic nonsense.
But i'm not holding my breath.

Stuff like this is becoming more the exception than the rule with Netflix these days. I'm going into new stuff presuming it's going to be terrible, hoping otherwise. Never used to be like this. Netflix is doomed if it carries on this way. Some absolutely deadly competition is on the near horizon and it appears to be doing nothing RE quality control.

I started to watch this last night & got as far as episode 4 ! I was intrigued from the begining & as it went on, but i started to wane a bit....i'll probably carry on watching, until i decide it's not worth carrying on with....don't know the number of episode's, so don't know how many more...& i haven't read the review, in case i do watch till the end ?

I started to watch this last night & got as far as episode 4 ! I was intrigued from the begining & as it went on, but i started to wane a bit....i'll probably carry on watching, until i decide it's not worth carrying on with....don't know the number of episode's, so don't know how many more...& i haven't read the review, in case i do watch till the end ?

Mate the trailer's got more spoilers than my review (which is telling, as it starts with scenes from later episodes, showing you stuff you just wouldn't know about on watching ep 1 and 2 alone - clearly they knew there wasn't much of a hook there) so I wouldn't worry about that.

Big disappointment indeed! Let`s hope the Unbelievable and horror serie Marianne will be better, both are out today (Netflix)!

Unbelievable is very good, review should be up shortly. Netflix almost make up for this.

Mate the trailer's got more spoilers than my review (which is telling, as it starts with scenes from later episodes, showing you stuff you just wouldn't know about on watching ep 1 and 2 alone - clearly they knew there wasn't much of a hook there) so I wouldn't worry about that.

Slightly off-topic, but you just reminded me of one of my all-time pet hates: Animated disc menus that show key highlights/spoilers from the film you're about to watch! Oooooooh, it makes me mad! :mad:

I didn't memorise the trailer ! ;)

I didn't memorise the trailer ! ;)

Yeah, but the mere fact that over half the trailer was quite clearly not
set on an island
might have been some kind of giveaway to events which don't take place until episode 3 onwards...

It's a bit like Oblivion, whose trailer and indeed poster didn't really make it easy to get on board with the initial premise of them being the last two people on an abandoned earth.

After watching the Brilliant *The Spy* we turned our attentions spans to this......

Immediately we think of *Lost* which was a pretty good, can't believe that ended like 9 years ago. Anyway, i was willing to give this a go and my thinking *Did it get worse the longer it went on or was bad from the beginning*
There seems to be no middle ground with Netflix at the moment.. If it's good it's really good and when it's bad its like Jackie Stallone plastic surgery bad.
I have had more fun watching The Regular Show, Futurama, Ben 10, Adventure Time and Bagpuss then this..

We just wanted it to end and hopefully there will not be a season 2..........

Next up, Unbelieveable, it's Toni Collete, (NO BRAINER)

set on an island
might have been some kind of giveaway to events which don't take place until episode 3 onwards...

It's a bit like Oblivion, whose trailer and indeed poster didn't really make it easy to get on board with the initial premise of them being the last two people on an abandoned earth.

I'll have to look back at the trailer....but seeing that i've just finished watching it, i likely won't...i could take it, or leave it. I've seen better & i've seen worse. At least i got to end...which i often don't do with Netflix programmes.

Last edited:
Thanks Cas,

Saw the trailer for this and thought it looked like an awful, budget, straight to dvd “lost” bodge job!

Looks like you saved me even bothering! I will spin up my 4K copy of Pet Sematary instead ;)

Ok, Marianne review done too; up shortly. Both infinitely better than The I-L.

Thanks for the warning!

How does this pile of **** pass any sort of go ahead from the exec's at Netflix, they put the price up and then put this out!?!

Ok, Marianne review done too; up shortly. Both infinitely better than The I-L.
Next up on my monthly list...just finishing off Unbelievable (it's brilliant so far) first.

Me and my husband just watched all 7 episodes of this and have to say really enjoyed it not sure why everyone is hating it ? Maybe we need to get out more just looked to see if there was a series 2 and stumbled upon these bad reviews

I only saw the trailer after I finished watching all the episodes, the trailer really does give away some major twists.
set on an island

Agreed, glad I watched all the episodes before I saw the trailer. Got some enjoyment out of the twists and trying to guess where it was going, trailer gives away far too much.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom