Netflix's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
“This is not for kids”
That one line has convinced me to give this a try.
Thanks Cas.

Watched the 1st ep last night. I almost gave up after 20 mins (not because it was bad, just found it a bit hard to get into initially), but kept with it and by the end enjoyed what I saw so will watch more.

Four episodes in so far, and yes it was a bit hard to get into at first - so many characters and subplots to set up - but really enjoying it.

Looks great stunning in DV and the voice casting is perfect... and so many huge names!

As the review says, Jim Henson would be proud. The puppets look incredible.

I really fancy this, I had assumed it was all cgi and not puppets, looks visually gorgeous.

@Casimir Harlow I have never seen the movie, but I have the shrink-wrap bluray on the shelf, or could get the 4k in HMV for £9.99.

Shall I just watch the Netflix, prequel, then the movie, or is there merit in watching it the way everyone else experienced as movie first.

@Casimir Harlow I have never seen the movie, but I have the shrink-wrap bluray on the shelf, or could get the 4k in HMV for £9.99.

Shall I just watch the Netflix, prequel, then the movie, or is there merit in watching it the way everyone else experienced as movie first.

I can only speak to what I had to do; I’m sure countless others would advocate the other way:

I hadn’t seen the movie in decades, barely remembered it, but neither had the disc nor had the time to watch properly in advance (although it’s also on Netflix).

That said, I can’t wait to watch it as a follow-up.

You’ll find Age dense world building either way but stick with it and hopefully you’ll be wowed!

Was gonna let my kids 10 and 6 watch it is it that bad that kids can't watch it?

Was gonna let my kids 10 and 6 watch it is it that bad that kids can't watch it?

Ah 10 is fine, but my 6 year old wasn't particularly impressed with the giant clacking spider thing (think: LOTR) or the eye-sucking, soul-stealing villains. Just a bit too creepy for her.

And it's really not designed for them; there's way too much world building for young 'uns.

Watched the first two eps of the Dark Crystal series last night. It didn’t click with me, sadly. I loved the movie, but this series is unnecessarily complex – too easy to lose track of what’s going on, who is who, and it seems I’m no longer able to suspend disbelief for puppets. And I’ll be honest. I think the writing is bad. When you stop paying attention to all the colourful imagery and listen to what’s being said, it’s just a lot of on-the-nose exposition. Really, really quite poorly written in places. Not for me. Blessings on you if you enjoy this. :thumbsup:

Ah 10 is fine, but my 6 year old wasn't particularly impressed with the giant clacking spider thing (think: LOTR) or the eye-sucking, soul-stealing villains. Just a bit too creepy for her.

And it's really not designed for them; there's way too much world building for young 'uns.
Thanks @Casimir Harlow I have the film on 4k disc will probably end up watching this myself

Thanks, I was going to watch with my 5 year old, you have just saved me a few nights poor sleep!

I think it depends on the child, my eight year old daughter has watched a few episodes and has liked it but I don't think she has completely followed it.
I still remember watching Alien when I was 10 in the early eighties (mainly from behind the sofa), different times I guess.

Really enjoying Dark Crystal though, the design and sets are unbelievable for a TV show.

Wondered when your review of this Masterpiece was going to pop up Cas..:D

Great review. And spot on..:smashin:

Watched the first episode last night and what a treat it was. It looked spectacular in DV. :love:
God they have spent big on this. LOTR in puppet form..:laugh: Fantastic!

Cheers for another enthused review, Cas.
I took a quick squiz at it and it looks tasty on an OLED, for sure. Being of the Terrahawks etc. generation and then much later as a Farscape fan I'll give it a proper go.

Thanks as always for your review Cas.

I sat watching the trailer and got laughed at by my partner when I told her it looked amazing :laugh:

Glad to see I am not the only adult who wants to see this, watched the original in 4K about 6 months ago and enjoyed it (while also thinking a modern version would be great).

Will add to my ever growing Netflix watch list!

Easily a 9 just for the practical work alone! It’s amazing something like this can exist in 2019. We should all support it, work of this calibre hasn’t been seen for a longtime. A classic in the making.

As a child I loved watching Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90.

Yet I just don't fancy this. The animation of the puppets just looks all wrong watching the trailers. I've also got the impression it looks like a kids show but with very adult themes. No, don't fancy it at all. Maybe its just me. :eek:

Like most, i saw the film so of course i'm going to watch the "prequel" series

The visuals in DV on my OLED and the Atmos sound were both great

I did have a few gripes while watching this. One was the way they did the mouth part of the puppets. It was like they all went crazy with the Botox, with NO movement above the upper lip, drove me crazy. The Skeksis on the other hand ALL looked awesome, which save it for me to keep watching. Especially The Chamberlain voiced by Simon Pegg(my fave character).

Anyway i really enjoyed it

Oh and i highly recommended the 1hr 22min of the "making of". Respect to those puppeteers!

Watched the film when I was young many many times (still do that noise the Chamberlain makes too this day lol) so when I first heard this was coming I had some reservations but thankfully they were completely unfounded and it turned out to be a real labour of love, was completely captivated by it and sad it is now over but at least there is still the 80 minute making of to watch tomorrow night :)

Last edited:
As a child I loved watching Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90.

Yet I just don't fancy this. The animation of the puppets just looks all wrong watching the trailers. I've also got the impression it looks like a kids show but with very adult themes. No, don't fancy it at all. Maybe its just me. :eek:
I was the same but gave it a go anyway. Took me maybe 20 mins at the start to get comfortable with what I was watching but now, 2 eps watched, I'm hooked.

Maybe I'll persist given the positives from you all. I just really struggled with puppets. (and I'm of a terror hawks age too). I turned it off after about 20 mins.

Maybe I'll persist given the positives from you all. I just really struggled with puppets. (and I'm of a terror hawks age too). I turned it off after about 20 mins.
Yeah, I’m struggling with the puppets too. Once I’d got over how gorgeous it looks I found my attention drifting. Maybe at 67 I’m not in the intended age range???
I’ll give it another chance tonight.

Yes, it felt a bit like Fraggle Rock does Shakspeare. I think I'm struggling because it's not kiddie.

Still will try again, I disliked GoT first time I tried it and really enjoyed it after coming back and trying again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom