Netflix's Tau Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Probably asking for too much if we expected another Annihilation going by Cas review but we love Sci-Fi and will give it go tonight. Reading of the description, anyone remember the early 90s film *Hardware* basically a horny droid (LOL) and the slip on the VHS said *Terminator For The 90s* :D

Thank you CAS once again.
Top Man!

Probably asking for too much if we expected another Annihilation going by Cas review but we love Sci-Fi and will give it go tonight. Reading of the description, anyone remember the early 90s film *Hardware* basically a horny droid (LOL) and the slip on the VHS said *Terminator For The 90s* :D

Thank you CAS once again.
Top Man!
I think Carl McCoy of fields of the nephilim was in that!!

I'm watching it now, an hour in and I'm really enjoying it.

Well that was great, thanks for the review as I had no idea what it was or it was available. I really enjoyed it and the length of the film was perfect The leads are great and 'Julia' has one cracking bod and is very attractive ! I certainly don't regret watching and I enjoyed it about the same as annhilation. A solid 7/10 from me.

The guardian gave it one, there's only one thing in this film I'd give one ....

Subscribers are happy to just keep scoffing the shit sandwiches...

People should have higher standards than to accept this conveyer belt dross. Real shame...

Subscribers are happy to just keep scoffing the sh*t sandwiches...

People should have higher standards than to accept this conveyer belt dross. Real shame...
Have you watched it? I found it perfectly fine for an hour and a half when there wasn't any football on. Yeah its not amazing but its a reasonable time waster. I think Netflix are on the up as a whole, most of the best films will continue to come out on the big screen first for the next few years I'd imagine. Their TV series are in another league though. So I'll continue to play shit sandwich scoffer as you so wonderfully put it and enjoy the fantastic range of mini series, thrillers, foreign film and series and multi season franchises for ten quid a month and you keep moaning.

'Their tv series are in another league...'? I can think of a small handful of decent series they've done, but they're a long way off being top tier.

You summed up their entire ethos: 'reasonable time wasting' - their entire business model is based on that.

Respectfully, Netflix is overflowing with average, time-killing rubbish. Most of their 'original' material looks and sounds exactly the same. They've not even come close to making anything 'classic'.

If you're happy wading through all the crap that's cool. Most other people are too. It's a sad state of affairs...

I would say Stranger things is up there with some of the best shows ever created. If by classic your talking about movies only... then certainly not. The movies are average at best. There tv shows however I have enjoyed immensely.

I'm not getting into a Netflix argument in a film review thread but look at the recommend thread, there's plenty of gems, Ok maybe Netflix haven't made all of them but I pay for the content that I choose to view and without that I'd not have enjoyed...
Unabomber
Mindhunter
Dark
The rain
La mante
Le Chalet
The frozen dead
Homeland
Stranger things
Marco polo
Okja
Jajao plus so many more, these are just off the top of my head.
There's countless others in my list I've not started like, GLOW, sense 8, 3%, The Alienist and so on and so on.
I went through my lists and there's so much great stuff that I simply can't believe people can think it's all average.
Jack Whitehall travelling with his pompous tory father is comedic gold.. Maybe you should watch it Tim , it might make you smile a little!

Last edited:
I'm not getting into a Netflix argument in a film review thread but look at the recommend thread, there's plenty of gems, Ok maybe Netflix haven't made all of them but I pay for the content that I choose to view and without that I'd not have enjoyed...
Unabomber
Mindhunter
Dark
The rain
La mante
Le Chalet
The frozen dead
Homeland
Stranger things
Marco polo
Okja
Jajao plus so many more, these are just off the top of my head.
There's countless others in my list I've not started like, GLOW, sense 8, 3%, The Alienist and so on and so on.
I went through my lists and there's so much great stuff that I simply can't believe people can think it's all average.
Jack Whitehall travelling with his pompous tory father is comedic gold.. Maybe you should watch it Tim , it might make you smile a little!

- You're absolutely right, there ARE decent series on there (although I'll maintain my grumpiness and say that only a couple of those listed are 'premier league'!)

I just find the majority of their content seems to be very, very uninspired. 'Square-jawed, good looking American bloke talking in a dark room' is waaaay too common a sight.

The only halfway original sci-fi they've done, Altered Carbon steals all its wide-shots straight from Blade Runner. Both Star Trek Discovery and Lost in Space felt like they were made for several hundred pounds.

Beyond that, plenty of Korean soap operas and bizarre, crappy films, normally called 'Love Happy or Drink" or something equally nonsensical.

I spend more time scrolling through Netflix than I do watching content. I'm glad you get your money's worth though and, as you rightfully pointed out, there are diamonds amongst the rough!

Altered Carbon steals all its wide-shots straight from Blade Runner.

I don't think it's fair to say Altered Carbon steals all its wide shots from Blade Runner. I thought it was a great series, and the flying cars were also reminiscent of Fifth Element and Star Wars prequels. Or Back to the Future come to think of it. I'm not sure what other 'wide' (presuming you mean wide-angle lens) shots you're referring to, as I did't notice many wide angle shots particularly. What I did notice was an awesome hotel that I won't spoil for other people but which was new ground for me.

Slightly off topic: it's easy to be unimpressed with the world and other people's creations generally. One can fairly easily reduce everything to meaninglessness, high brow or not. But in my experience that's not a fun -or healthy - way to live. In fact I strive to do the opposite.

Thanks Cas.

I REALLY enjoyed The Guest but haven’t watched It Follows so will watch that and this film now cheers :thumbsup:

Whaaaa??? One of the best supernatural themed horrors in recent years:

It Follows User Review | AVForums

I’ve also just watched Tau - probably best I can say is it’s a remarkably, unremarkable film. It’s watchable but also forgettable in an instant. I do like a good “people in captivity/peril” sort of the film - such as the brilliant Cube as mentioned in Cas’ review - but this was super average. In addition to being one of the more attractive US starlets to emerge, Maika Monroe is also a decent actress - completely wasted in ID4 2 - and elevates this production up a notch with her feistiness and vulnerability. I also enjoyed Ed Skrein in a different type of role beyond his usual cocky bad boy routine. Whilst it’s nice to hear the instantly recognisable tones of Gary Oldman, I suspect he might have done this part over a coffee and newspaper. I’d rate Tau 5/10.

Whilst I’ve yet to see Pet or Rupture (also referenced in Cas’ review), I can recommend a little known film from 2009 called Exam, which has the premise of a group of people thrown together and having to pass the aforementioned test. From such a mundane sounding scenario, the director does a good job using the cast to elicit quite a bit of tension and suspense.

Exam (2009) - IMDb

- You're absolutely right, there ARE decent series on there (although I'll maintain my grumpiness and say that only a couple of those listed are 'premier league'!)

I just find the majority of their content seems to be very, very uninspired. 'Square-jawed, good looking American bloke talking in a dark room' is waaaay too common a sight.

The only halfway original sci-fi they've done, Altered Carbon steals all its wide-shots straight from Blade Runner. Both Star Trek Discovery and Lost in Space felt like they were made for several hundred pounds.

Beyond that, plenty of Korean soap operas and bizarre, crappy films, normally called 'Love Happy or Drink" or something equally nonsensical.

I spend more time scrolling through Netflix than I do watching content. I'm glad you get your money's worth though and, as you rightfully pointed out, there are diamonds amongst the rough!

It is a sad state of affairs indeed.

*bangs fist on desk*

We deserve better for seven quid a month.

Off-Topic but following on from the above, there is the problem of what "Netflix Original" means. I flicked on the Derren Brown thing that was promoted and glossed up on the front page as a "Netflix Original" to find a show that I had already seen on Channel 4 about 3/4 years ago.

A cited example above, Star Trek: Discovery - a "Netflix Original" which Netflix had no part in producing.

It's a label which often doesn't go far beyond "this is probably the best way for you to watch this thing in your country at this exact moment in time."

The Expanse is a "Netflix Original" in the UK. Think that is going to change for Season 4 ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom