Netflix's Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
You had me gripped all the way up to Country And Western music.

After the first five minutes the music was driving me crazy. :rotfl:💩 I had to stop there. :eek::p

First half was quite good, then it got weird

Well this seems pretty niche even by Netflix standards. What next? Captain Beefhearts Trout Mask Replica reimagined in Claymation?

Actually, I would probably watch that.

My TV sound system has a Country and Western filter built in so cannot watch this - thankfully:smashin:.

Personally, I hated it. It has no purpose and even if it does have a message it's the paint by numbers style of Californian dumb liberalism which I can't stand...and with a dance sequence full of half naked women...I dunno...its a mess.

The different styles are choppy and the music is average. The only redeeming features are that some (not many) images are quite cool and appeal to my inner 15 year old self...most of them are not. 3/10

I've not seen this yet, but have heard it and loved it.

Don't really get much Country and Western from this for me. Maybe last 3 tracks

For me, it’s Pink Floyd, if they hired Quentin Tarantino for a couple of days..

I really liked this. I think the country and western label does the music a disservice. It far rockier and less twangy that this pish I associate with that label. I was huge fan of Aeon Flux and Animatrix, so the style in the visuals really appeals to me. They visuals are done by the Japanese which goes a long way to describing why it's so weird :laugh: Different, interesting and refreshing. A thumbs up from me.

I like this from the Wikipedia page
"Simpson said that while in Detroit, he was inspired after listening to Eminem to write "a bunch of mad shit-talking songs about how fudgeing awesome we are" but later began to think that what he and his band had produced was not "weird" enough, so came up with the idea to travel to Japan and "get the five most legendary animation directors in history together and get them all drunk and put them to competition to see who can outdo one another, and we'll just animate the whole ****** album". Simpson later characterized the album as a "sleazy, steamy, rock 'n' roll record", calling it his "most psychedelic" and "heaviest". Bobby Moore of The Boot described the album as "a collection of dystopian rock songs". Musically, Sound & Fury has been described by critics as blues rock,psychedelic rock, boogie rock, and synth-rock. "

I'm making no apologies for banging on about this album, it's superb. It gets better with each listen.
So varied and crazy. :love:
People really should give it a go.
I'm not even a vinyl head and I'm even considering buying the special edition vinyl

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom