Netflix's Shaft Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Cas, I have a question about this.

Who's the black private dick who's a sex machine to all the chicks?

I think a 5 is overly generous Cas. Having forced myself to watch until the credits rolled, I thought it was barely worthy of a 3/10. Amateur night all round, and a script so juvenile it almost beggers belief. Very wooden acting across the board too. An absolute waste of everyone's time (mine included).

I think a 5 is overly generous Cas. Having forced myself to watch until the credits rolled, I thought it was barely worthy of a 3/10. Amateur night all round, and a script so juvenile it almost beggers belief. Very wooden acting across the board too. An absolute waste of everyone's time (mine included).

Sad, isn't it, just how much Netflix content – ESPECIALLY the movies – is average or worse. Netflix is quantity over quality these days. There's still the odd delicious, crunchy crouton here and there, but they're floating in a bowl of cold gibbon shit.

Sad, isn't it, just how much Netflix content – ESPECIALLY the movies – is average or worse. Netflix is quantity over quality these days. There's still the odd delicious, crunchy crouton here and there, but they're floating in a bowl of cold gibbon sh*t.
Too be fair, some people out there might like it, and I'd be interested to hear their take if so. I just found it so bad on almost every level. I feel like Netflix owe me a refund this month based on that detritus...Avoid.

If youre an existing subscriber and have watched a lot of the stuff that interested you when you first joined, you are likely now faced with a sub increase - perhaps to £12 a month. Does the stuff now being released each month justify this amount per year? Nah.

I don't think I'll bother with SLJ's one-trick-pony here.
The originals were first seen when I was 10 or so and imprinted in mind of what a cool black man could be.
Sounds like this needs the boot, as opposed to reboot.

I just watched the trailer and it looks like they turned it into a comedy.
Modern films seem to be obsessed with wise-cracks. I blame Tony Stark.

Thanks for the heads up Cas, Doubt I will watch this.

I thought the earlier film was quite good and had a decent enough story. Bale played the villain well also. Such a shame they have wasted the chance to do something more ala Denzel!

I've not read the review ( sorry Cas ) , I'm kinda fond of SLJs Shaft in his first stab of the reboot . I'm 44.34 in on this and may not last much longer , it's awful , really awful . If they wanted to go the comedic route then make if funny for fudge sake .

I've not read the review ( sorry Cas ) , I'm kinda fond of SLJs Shaft in his first stab of the reboot . I'm 44.34 in on this and may not last much longer , it's awful , really awful .
Good luck making it to the end. It only gets worse matey...

I just watched the trailer and it looks like they turned it into a comedy.
Modern films seem to be obsessed with wise-cracks. I blame Tony Stark.
It thinks it's a comedy. The viewer has other ideas though...

Cas, guess you didn't enjoy this. Thanks for the review
Will give a go during the ironing.
Far better films than this get watched in my house during the ironing! :)

I thought the first reboot was crap. I won't bother with this.

Thanks for filtering this one for us @Casimir Harlow :smashin:

A shame it’s no good especially with Sam Jackson in it o_O

Sad, isn't it, just how much Netflix content – ESPECIALLY the movies – is average or worse. Netflix is quantity over quality these days. There's still the odd delicious, crunchy crouton here and there, but they're floating in a bowl of cold gibbon sh*t.

to be fair, Netflix didn't make this. It's another that's been bought in from a studio (Paramount?) that didn't want to release it because it's too crap to make them any money. Netflix have an open door policy for anything like that, it seems.

to be fair, Netflix didn't make this. It's another that's been bought in from a studio (Paramount?) that didn't want to release it because it's too crap to make them any money. Netflix have an open door policy for anything like that, it seems.

Netflix are the 21st century equivalent/alternative to what was once known as the purgatory of “DTV.” :D

Netflix are the 21st century equivalent/alternative to what was once known as the purgatory of “DTV.” :D
I agree. Everything is made by outside studios, but it's the netflix name plastered across it. And they are devaluing their brand by offering up a relentless supply of terrible films.

I agree. Everything is made by outside studios, but it's the netflix name plastered across it. And they are devaluing their brand by offering up a relentless supply of terrible films.

Although, paradoxically, they do obviously have really good TV content sitting alongside the mediocre/poor Netflix “exclusive” movies. For example, I’ve just discovered the brilliance that is Black Mirror. :)

If youre an existing subscriber and have watched a lot of the stuff that interested you when you first joined, you are likely now faced with a sub increase - perhaps to £12 a month. Does the stuff now being released each month justify this amount per year? Nah.

£12 is still small in the large scheme of things. Folks on here spend £20 on 1 single 4K Blu Ray disc, £12 on a single bottle of wine etc;

Netflix is value for money regardless on how you look at it, there are plenty of quality content on too which is far too often dismissed.

I'm still happy to pay, and see it as good value for all the TV shows and legacy material. There's no denying that the films they publish are pretty terrible though.

I watched this last night but i'm sorry guys but i kinda liked it.....i had no real expectations of this and i had fun with this.
Is it really good ? no but not as bad as you guys say it is.....but that's just my opinion :)

Warner made this with Netflix and it got a theatrical release in the US barely making 18 million to this point. So yeah a flop.

But that doesn't stop me from thinking this is mindless fun ! 6 out of 10 from me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom