Netflix's Operation Finale Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,688
    2. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +992
      I watched this one last night. Apparently it's at best inspired by real events, and some of the fictional stuff feels rather forced and unrealistic. Kingsley and Isaac are good as ever and their interplay manages to mask to a degree the weak cinematography and clearly low budget.

3. Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      I watched this yesterday, yes there is some forced 'close call' spy stuff, but Kingsley and Oscar Isaac have some great scenes in the middle of the film. There was always going to be difficulty in making the famously dull administrator Eichmann's capture look interesting on screen but I think the end result here is really good. I agree with a 7

Edit: I thought the film looked really good, hard to make a 75-year-old look like he's in his late 30s...but the scene where the young Nazi asks the girl if she is jewish was a great parallel to the scene in the American film they had been watching earlier, right down to the use of reflections during the question. Think I read that the director's mother was the girl in the cinema film scene, too...

4. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      "but their productions are still consistently flawed - and Operation Finale is no exception. It never goes far enough, or deep enough into the material ... nor does it offer a more viscerally thrilling alternative, more than happy to tread a middle ground that is never going to earn the film - or the brand - the recognition they could get had a little more effort be made."

This is Netflix's brand recognition! I am guessing it stems from their production process whereby as many territories as possible get script and other input with the homogeniser going all the way up to 11.

5. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,527
      Thanks for the review Cas,will give it a watch,read a lot of real life account of this :)

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,043
      For those interested in Nazi Command and their decision making apparatus, Kenneth Branagh's Conspiracy is about The Final Solution meeting by Nazi High Command and, for my money, outlays one of the coldest decisions in history being made in a logical and calculated manner. Chilling stuff.
      Will give this a whirl, thanks for the review, Kas.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    7. Buggs66

Buggs66

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +107
      Fingers crossed for this being a decent intriguing informative movie but as soon as I see the words"Netflix original"the doubts creep in.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,043
      Ok, saw it and it's a bit Mary, Jane and Freddie do Nazi Hunting. Hardly riveting. Having Isaac didn't help either as he doesn't exactly fit the Jewish angle. I did laugh, though, at yet another English accent for the Nazi's and kind of missed those naff German accents of some old war films. Or, even Christopher Plummer's 'compromise' accent in the still excellent The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo felt much more satisfactory - oh God, Foy next.
      This needed a more scissor happy editor to cut it back to maybe 90 minutes and spare the viewer a lot of pointless exposition and scenes sitting around fruitlessly.