Netflix's Maniac Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched the first two episodes last night. Very strange but right up my street with some brilliant ideas. AdBuddys ..... you could see that being a thing in the future! Love the look of the whole thing too.

I tried, but this lost me pretty early on. Seemed all rather cliche and Jonah Hill's blank stare was simply too annoying...

To be fair, the fact it's a Netflix Original put me off, so I was probably being a bit harsh. Their original content is generally garbage...

Just finished and absolutely loved it. Agree that if you’re 3-4 eps in and it’s not winning you over then maybe cut your losses, but I thought it was great. And I liked Jonah Hill too - he’s a bit broken (apart from the fantasies) so it suits him well, and pays off later.

And the director does get to cut loose with another great tracking shot too!

"...perhaps as the title might success..."
I've been waiting on this but let it pass me by.
Thanks for the reminder, Cas.

@Tim. You think Netflix originals are garbage? Depends on your taste I suppose ! Mindhunter, Daredevil, Stranger Things etc are all Netflix originals!

Quite enjoyed this, very quirky and some stunning visuals...

I think you need to get to around ep 3ish for it start to take shape, and then story flows a bit more errr coherently...and then it'll wander off again, and then gets very weird...

More like Legion and less like The Royal Tenenbaums :D

@Tim. You think Netflix originals are garbage? Depends on your taste I suppose ! Mindhunter, Daredevil, Stranger Things etc are all Netflix originals!

I keep banging the drum for "Godless" too which is a stone-cold classic.

I keep banging the drum for "Godless" too which is a stone-cold classic.
]
I honestly think godless is masterful, really enjoyed it.

As for Maniac, got another two episodes in and its really picking up.

Maniac is terrible and a great example of how too much money is being thrown at too many ideas. I watched it all but was sooooo disappointed. Most episodes are fillers and this should have been a 2 part series at best. Very little of any substance to each episode. Jonah Hill seems to be trying to become Adam Sandler with the voice of someone incomprehensible.

I am only onto episode 7 or 8 I think.

I am still a bit on the fence. Episode 3 or 4 started to clear some things up and I started to understand it more. But I am still not fully convinced.

I am trying to 'get it' and to an extent I do, and it might be cleverer than it lets on. I like that it is a bit different, and I like guessing what's going on and what's going to happen. But some bits of it are just plain weird. Some episodes feel a bit like fillers, and some seem a little lazy, sure the last two episodes have been like 27 minutes long, I mean c'mon?!
And Jonah Hill, I dont know, he's 'main' character is fine, plays it well. But he's acting in his other roles are very questionable.

I am sticking with it, but it could go either way at the minute.

If it’s as weird as Legion, I am all-in.

finished it last night, some elements i liked, some weren't my cup of tea, i think overall its a little overrated perhaps, seeing a lot of 10/10 reviews on imdb!!, i'm actually surprised i didn't enjoy it more as sci-fi / futurism / offbeat is usually right up my street - 6/10

I loved it from start to finish, it was very weird in the beginning before I got attuned to the slight surreal tone. And I agree with what other's have said here, you need to get to episode 3 or so before things start making sense.

Late to seeing this one and must say that although it didn't blow me away it has left the whole series ingrained in my memory (that doesn't happen often) and I have suggested to the OH that she should watch it when I'm away.

Have also become a fan of Emma Stone and really liked Sonoya Mizuno's accent, which I could listen to for quite a long time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom