Netflix's Locke & Key Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Good review thx, have not watched but having read this and looked at the trailer, I feel its going to be pretty much teenage fayre.

Having seen the extended trailer on the Netflix preview I just can’t see the book at all, I see a safe watered down CW show.

Netflix made the fantastic Umbrella Academy last year that didn’t go for gloss and teenage heartthrobs so I’m really disappointed and will give it a miss.

Starting to feel like I am forcing myself to watch stuff to justify the sub...

Despite the reviews I decided to give it ago this evening, Ok have to admit just watched ep1 and enjoyed it!
Guess like everything else , try it for yourself, everyone is different.

Very slow start with a somewhat rushed end - if you make it that far - thanks offspring.

It was fine except for when it got to the part of people dealing with the bad guys (with guns, etc), then the whole thing went so stupid I couldn't stand to watch it any further. I swear, the people writing movies these days are pure uneducated simpletons who dont have a clue as to how stuff actually works (and I mean physics, interpersonal relationships, psych, any of the hard sciences, etc). Pity that the Bell curve encourages this tripe.

Seriously people, when a person is going to kill you, you do ALL you can to stop them - and don't stop hitting them with whatever is at hand until they are dead, Dead, DEAD.

Pro tip; when the bad guy drops the gun, you grab it and (IMMEDIATELY) shoot the SOB...until the gun stops firing.

Second pro tip; when grabbing a gun from the triggerman, dont clutch it to your midsection.

Marginally better than October Faction. Maybe as I’m in my forties I’ve aged out of this type of content, but I just couldn’t get over the stupidity of the decisions people were making in order to move the plot forward.

5/10.

I've managed 3.5 episodes of this and while I'm not going to be shouting from the rooftops about it, I am enjoying it somewhat and will probably stay with it till the end. I managed 2.5 minutes of October Faction. Make of that what you will.

Did this over the weekend due to the storm (7 episodes on Sunday - my record for bingeing :D) and enjoyed it very much. Hated the Twilight films and believe this is a cut above but as Cas says its certainly aimed squarely at the teen audience.
7/10 from me and will watch out for a second season...

I did enjoy this - it's definitely not up to the quality of the comic, but they are stretching it out a lot more. It does have a few "characters doing very stupid things" moments which detract but overall it's pretty enjoyable and the central concept is still excellent.

The only thing that let it down for me was the ending.

I'd suspected that Gabe was up to no good almost from the get-go and as soon as they unveiled the appearance changing key it was even more obvious. And I'd worked out the Ellie switcheroo too. So the long "reveal" at the end was quite underwhelming.

But overall quite good - and I'll definitely be back for a second series. Netflix are quite good at ironing out issues in series 2, so hopefully we'll see a big improvement.

Give it a 6/10, as it's directed for teens today...
Easy watch, you can go and make a cuppa and come back and not miss anything..
Couple of nice twists.....

Fascinating fact: The actress that plays Kinsey is the daughter of Aled 'Walking in the Air' Jones

:smashin:
Yeah that was a surprise to me too. I was looking up if she was English as I found her American accent a little off. She's been in some other stuff I've seen like Utopia and High Rise.

The first episode is really really good, the next 2 episodes are pretty crap so we've binned it off.

Far too much to watch and too little time I'm afraid.

Watched through 3-episodes so far. It's okay. Why is the young boy not in school?

Watched through 3-episodes so far. It's okay. Why is the young boy not in school?

It was mentioned in the first episode I think, with him going to the junior school he still had another weeks holiday.

It was fine except for when it got to the part of people dealing with the bad guys (with guns, etc), then the whole thing went so stupid I couldn't stand to watch it any further. I swear, the people writing movies these days are pure uneducated simpletons who dont have a clue as to how stuff actually works (and I mean physics, interpersonal relationships, psych, any of the hard sciences, etc). Pity that the Bell curve encourages this tripe.

Seriously people, when a person is going to kill you, you do ALL you can to stop them - and don't stop hitting them with whatever is at hand until they are dead, Dead, DEAD.

Pro tip; when the bad guy drops the gun, you grab it and (IMMEDIATELY) shoot the SOB...until the gun stops firing.

Second pro tip; when grabbing a gun from the triggerman, dont clutch it to your midsection.

yes, the gun bit was INFURIATING! But, for some reason, they explained it, saving kid (running away) was #1 priority. Myself, anytime there is trouble, my first thought is, "I need a weapon."

Bottom line: I binged it with a caveat:

Any time there is a significant advancement of the plot and then the characters pair off and talk about their feelings I fast forward through them. This makes my review biased since I'm not watching the unbearable scenes.
Same goes for any scene with a baby in it - this is pure unabashed "I ain't got nuthin'" from the writers. Perfect Example: Last season of House and last couple seasons of Royal Pains.

What this means is I don't remember if or how much I fast forwarded through.
  • It is rare and impressive when I watch all the scenes.
  • I highly recommend this practice. Once you starting thinking about this "asides", you'll see them coming from a "mile away." The result is time better spent and even an enjoyable program.

October Faction same deal: binged w/caveat.

Umbrella Academy was very good. If I had to guess, no fast forwarding was required.

Finished this last night.

Yes I saw the ending twist coming well in advance, but I still thought it was a really good series.

7.5/10

Just finished and I thoroughly enjoyed it all. On a par with stranger things fkr me. Excellent and roll on season 2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom