Netflix's How It Ends Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Netflix's internal production systems are still a mystery but I think the Per Ardua ad Adequacy (sorry, the Royal Air Force) stems from the need to produce product, at a certain price, that will play across as many territories in as many languages as possible. That means running it past however many international executives in what is, essentially, a giant co-production process, as opposed to the US send-it-down-the-pipe system, whereby so many people need to say "yes" to it in whatever language.

I saw this yesterday and I enjoyed it, is it groundbreaking ? no but it's a good watch and that is what matters to me.

Hi Cas, off topic I know, but have you seen the Frank Grillo netflix actioner 'Wheelman'? You're the guy that watches these films so we don't have to. And after The Outsider I've learnt my lesson.

Watched last night also, I hate films that end like this so won’t be one I will watch again

Hi Cas, off topic I know, but have you seen the Frank Grillo netflix actioner 'Wheelman'? You're the guy that watches these films so we don't have to. And after The Outsider I've learnt my lesson.

Yeah, I watched Wheelman, I'm a sucker for anything with Grillo in it, particularly after the Purge sequel(s), I enjoyed Wheelman, it hardly breaks the Netflix 'average' mould, but it's enjoyable enough. I thought Outsider was a wasted opportunity but nowhere near as disappointing as Mute because I had such low expectations anyway.

I'd read on here about the ending to How It Ends so when I watched it I was far from disappointed; as post-apocalyptic road movie thriller, it's entertaining enough (FYI @Greg Hook).

I wish I would have read this review before I watched it....!!!!
:D No TBF it was OK....(spoiler)...but that ending.....

Yeah, I watched Wheelman, I'm a sucker for anything with Grillo in it, particularly after the Purge sequel(s), I enjoyed Wheelman, it hardly breaks the Netflix 'average' mould, but it's enjoyable enough. I thought Outsider was a wasted opportunity but nowhere near as disappointing as Mute because I had such low expectations anyway.

I'd read on here about the ending to How It Ends so when I watched it I was far from disappointed; as post-apocalyptic road movie thriller, it's entertaining enough (FYI @Greg Hook).

Cheers, might give it a go if you recommend it. But if the ending annoys me, then I’m coming for you.:D

This was one of the worst films I have seen in a long time.

Yep the ending was atrocious. It was extremely LAZY. The writers took the easy way out in this 1. The movie had potential if it would have had a decent ending but the movie ends abruptly without learning ANYTHING.

Last edited:
Sat down Friday evening and was expecting better than is.
Started off well then progressed into a farce ... I was expecting better.
And the ending...? Is that it? No conclusion.. come on! Not fair!
Even Tau was better than this.. :D
Enjoy!

I was enjoying it up until the lazy end. And I don't just mean the end shot, but the whole section where he reached Seattle.
Getting to Seattle, getting to the apartment, seeing the address, turning up in the mountains, the obvious neighbour thinking he'd bagged himself a hottie was just, well, lazy. In fact, probably from when he was picked up by the family and they just handed over the 4x4 for some supplies he would have given them anyway. He needs a 4x4, but did we see just why he needs a 4x4? No, he stuck to the roads. They were heading North, didn't the dad think they might need a 4x4?

Poor ending and the scene crossing the bridge was stretching it a bit too. Good review, glad Netflix are making movies but this was nearly very good but lazy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom