Netflix's House of Cards - The Final Season Review & Comments

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,537
    2. Hampy1972

Hampy1972

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +373
      Will bash the final 8 episodes of this tomorrow and plus 4 PL football games.
      Looking forward to this and will give a further update come Monday after I have recovered :D

Thanks Cas!

3. bigdad56

bigdad56

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      I was surprised that they even made a final season, after Kevin Spacey's fall.

4. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,392
      Even without Spacey's fall, it was time for HoC to end. It was starting to get pretty bland. I found myself reaching for my phone ( a sign of not engrossed) a number of times. Franks rise to presidency was great watching, but after that the slump started IMO.

5. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,424
      Like most presidential journeys then

6. jonno73

jonno73

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      The excitement and shock factor went when Trump got in, and started making Francis look like mother Theresa...

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    7. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +695
      Not going to bother, loved the previous seasons.

One and two are some of the best TV of recent years but they kicked him out so I'm out....out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,392
      Bit like Suits really. The early seasons were kiss-ass (top 5 series material), but now it's all very tedious. I can't even bring myself to finish the latest season.

9. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,459
      Good review.
      I’m only half way through ep1, but it’s immediately obvious that there is a gaping hole in the cast.
      The constant references to Francis don’t help overcome that one bit.
      One season too far I think.

10. Landouk

Landouk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +188
      Watched episode 1 and it's not the same without Frank, it all feels a bit pointless now he's gone.

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +969
      What a waste of time. Frank had the draw that his character was interesting, fun and love to hate all mixed up with Spacey's gravitas. But Claire comes off as a pale second that is little more than spite on legs and so two dimensional.
      This final season meanders about and never gets to a point of convincing the viewer that she would come out on top. It mixes plot points and decisions by her that are laughably bad and would have Trump's party and it's supporters go, Hell No! Both sides of the House would've ousted her for sure. And I can't imagine feminists would be enamored by her character, or rather lack therein. The music is weird in a kind of spy drama style to supposedly put you in some intrigue but made me think this is just an odd out of the gate starting point.
      I made it to the end but wished I hadn't bothered. This clearly should've finished a couple of seasons back and Spacey's exit made it all the more painful. In fact, the tease moments where it appeared you may get to at least hear his voice were painful in their denial.
      What a waste.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    12. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +980
      Seems like such a mistake to ditch Spacey at this late stage. They should have just finished the show as originally planned. To drop him on a whim as they did, to placate the screaming twitter lynch mob was so unnecessary.

As for the show, I very much enjoyed the previous series, so I shall try to finish it off, but without it's star, it all seems rather pointless. The show was all Spacey.

13. Voucher

Voucher

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +169
      Won't be watching it, pointless waste of time.

14. CD93

CD93
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Yes it was all about Spacey and I understand people being cross that they’re not getting the ending they wanted but he was never going to step foot on that set again and to support anything else is a poor stance to take.

He went out and stated he was going to get “help” (after using his apology to come out) and then was dropped by his talent agency. Netflix made the right call. The ONLY call.

15. Voucher

Voucher

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +169
      I think you miss the point! Nobody is cross that Spacey was dropped, it is more about the waste of carrying on with a doomed series. The money they wasted on a complete nonsense of a series - it became a joke.

16. CD93

CD93
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I did not miss the point of the post I was was replying to, which suggested they should have carried on with Spacey (who was “dropped on a whim”).

17. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      Just on the strength of previous seasons you owe it to just give the final season a watch, Even though I agree it won't be the same without Spacey.

18. jonno73

jonno73

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      This is actually making me consider giving myself a TV bonus break, and give this a miss! One less series on the busy watch list!

The first couple of seasons were incredible, but it’s slowly been dying on its arse for the last few. This sounds a season too far!

19. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,950
      Yes I’m watching it through just for sentiments sake. I’m pretty bored after episode one and it’s just not the same without Frank.

20. Hampy1972

Hampy1972

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +373
      Quick update, finished it over a sitting from Friday night (5 episodes) and Saturday morning (final 3)
      I admit, the finale season is a lot weaker without Spacey, Spacey was the Juggernaut of this.
      TBH, we all knew he wasn't in it but his shadow and mention on scene every 5 minutes was the way they were going to roll. Robin Wright does a decent job in the end but l will sum it up a reply I received from a lady on Twitter:
      upload_2018-11-5_7-34-51.png

21. Stockholm

Stockholm
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,035
      Watched episode one of the new season and have to agree with the sentiment that it is devoid of its protagonist and suffers for it as a consequence. Claire has had her moments in the show, particularly in S1 and possibly 2, but the more she was thrust to the forefront of the show the less I cared about her or her storylines.

She's like an automaton and not a real person. Even the most action-packed scene in the season opener lacked tension or suspense. Unexpected scenes like that can be jarring and effective but here it came off as perfunctory and as something to serve a plotline rather than a moment of substance and real consequence. I cared more about
      the Beast than I did Claire. Her reaction to the failed assassination was robotic too. Very peculiar character and presumably poor direction too as Robin Wright is a better actor than her portrayal of Claire would suggest.

There's little to no subtlety to the storylines and character motivations these days. Everything is on the nose and the villains are so obvious and pantomime-ish.

Everybody is an insensitive jerk in this show too! From the constant reminders that her husband died recently to harassing her for political favours when she's apparently off-the-clock at social events! Can see her nuking some foe this season or at least overreacting to some slight or provocation.

Edit - Never found it boring as it was engrossing to watch in the same way a train wreck is from a safe distance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    22. Stockholm

Stockholm
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,035
      LOL! Finished it yesterday and what a mess they've made with this final season. What genre does the story in S6 belong to? Seriously, were they trying to turn it into a supernatural horror film in the same vein as Rosemary's Baby and The Omen? The allusions to Rosemary's Baby speak for themselves, and the way she behaves during the final season really reminds me of Sam Neill's portrayal of Damien Thorn mixed with Martin Sheen in The Dead Zone as the demonic president who wishes to rain down nuclear armageddon on the planet.

It's like a parody of the opening seasons of the US version of HoC. It's too silly to take seriously. Best moment was possibly the unnerving moments leading up to the
      assassination of Tom Hammerschmidt as he readies his dog to deliver the USB stick containing all the damning evidence against Frank et al and then steels himself in front of the camera as the assassin takes aim behind him. That was so tense and disturbing.

So many dropped and inconsequential characters and storylines in S6. Easily the worst season of HoC and made much poorer for the absence of its star character Frank Underwood. Would have been better cancelling the final season rather than churning out this monstrosity.

Edit - Never found it boring as it was engrossing to watch in the same way that a train wreck is from a safe distance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    23. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,950
      Yes the final season was poor and a bit of a waste of time that didn’t go anywhere much and was silly in parts. In fairness the show had been on a downward spiral for a few seasons. But I’ll remember it fondly overall.

24. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      Finished the last season a couple of days ago, I think it’s save to say most fans will be disappointed, plots were silly and confusing the only plus point was watching Gorgeous Robin wright strutting around in her heels.