Quantcast

Netflix's High Flying Bird Review & Comments

Tim2049

I don't find the director's iPhone obsession commendable, I find it annoying.

Filmmaking shouldn't be easier and easier for anyone to do. One of the biggest issues with films today is that there are far, far too many...& most of them are 'amateur crap' as it is...(!)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I don't find the director's iPhone obsession commendable, I find it annoying.

Filmmaking shouldn't be easier and easier for anyone to do. One of the biggest issues with films today is that there are far, far too many...& most of them are 'amateur crap' as it is...(!)
Commendable because the studios clearly wouldn't invest the money he required to make a big budget sports movie, so he went ahead and did one anyway, only on a micro-budget. This is far from an amateur effort, and with Hollywood on a mission to franchise every sequel to a reboot, the only way original movies are going to still be made is by director's thinking outside of the box. Soderbergh may be going to extremes by shooting on an iPhone 7, but at least he's showing that stylish, professionally made original movies are not dead yet.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Using an iPhone is a pathetic gimmick. It's not like he can't afford a decent camera even if the film studios won't give him a suitcase full of cash anymore.

Buggs66

went into watching this one with much anticipation due to Soderbergh being at the helm but after 30 minutes I was just willing it to finish.
Maybe it’s me being a bit thick but I really struggled to make head nor tail what was going on.I think maybe it’s the sorkin style of dialogue
That gets under my skin,if I met somebody in real life that talked like they do in this movie I’d ask them to get to the point and stop being so pretentious.If anybody wants to watch a basketball movie that shows you what it’s really like then nothing can beat Hoop dreams from 1994.