Quantcast

Netflix's Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Kotatsu Neko

The first two movies are masterpieces. Stand Alone Complex was a solid effort. Arise was pretty weak.

I've yet to watch this new one, but the art, oh boy the art. It looks like a CG cut scene from a PS1 game. I'm not a fan of rendered anime at the best of times, it just seems pointless to me and strips the medium of all of its character, but this is a new low point. Compare these plastic, formless, motion captured action figure characters to something like Kill La Kill. There couldn't be a bigger difference.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I never really gave Arise a chance.
Mostly because I didn't really want a reimagining of the premise and characters. I just wanted more from the original.
I'm not a fan of rendered anime at the best of times,
I definitely agree with this but I'm willing to give 2045 a go, though, even with ropey animation. Especially as it's worth remembering that the first block of the original SAC had some really jarring highs and lows of animation too.

Mark_a

Watched the first two eps and it's entertaining enough, but less complex and more action (so far). The only thing I'm not a fan of is they've given the Major a thirteen year old's face on a twenty something's body. Which is a shame, I think.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
The first two movies are masterpieces. Stand Alone Complex was a solid effort. Arise was pretty weak.

I've yet to watch this new one, but the art, oh boy the art. It looks like a CG cut scene from a PS1 game. I'm not a fan of rendered anime at the best of times, it just seems pointless to me and strips the medium of all of its character, but this is a new low point. Compare these plastic, formless, motion captured action figure characters to something like Kill La Kill. There couldn't be a bigger difference.
Agree, the show still does well with tense, well-built action though; the drone sequence is pretty solid for an opener.

And Arise was weak, but The New Movie is pretty good, almost enough to make me want to search out the Pyroporphic Cult, which is almost impossible to find with a UK subtitle stream, and watch them all again in their more complete form.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I never really gave Arise a chance.
Mostly because I didn't really want a reimagining of the premise and characters. I just wanted more from the original.

I definitely agree with this but I'm willing to give 2045 a go, though, even with ropey animation. Especially as it's worth remembering that the first block of the original SAC had some really jarring highs and lows of animation too.
As above, I'd recommend The New Movie; it's only £7 at the moment and the best of the Arise season by far.

Yaka

the look and animation is just odd not sure what peeps at PIG were smoking but the movies and the SAC series nailed the cyberpunk elements both look and animation wise. this looks like a badly aged animation from a computer game made 15 years ago

Kotatsu Neko

Interestingly the character designs in this are buy a Russian artist called Illya Kuvshinov. He's a talented guy but Production IG have spectacularly failed to turn his designs into 3D models.

That said, I'd like to see a proper 2D adaptation of Shiro's original manga, with his original designs. I know Shiro is well off the reservation at this point, but he was on fire in the 1980s with GITS, Orion, Dominion, and Appleseed.