Netflix's Eli Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, I liked the sound of this one, likely to still give it a watch but less urgency in doing so! 👍

It's at least a 6 for me, helped by a decent story, a good cast and a genuinely unexpected twist.

Thought this was one of Netflix better movies of late. Some pretty good horror elements with a good cast. Personally I didn't get the twist until quite late on so guess it worked in that respect. 6.5 may be 7 out of 10 for me.

Just watched the trailer. The bit with the girl made me jump off my seat:blush:

Gonna watch the movie now but I'm guessing I've had the biggest scare already :rotfl:

Yup. You guessed it. Another run of the mill Netflix affair.

6/10 at best.

All the reviews I've read have slaughtered this. I'm gonna watch it anyway as I like the look of it. And I've read the spoilers!

I didn't think this was too bad. Better than average, in fact, thanks to some really nifty and genuinely chilling implementations of the ghosty stuff.

I agree, there's a sinking feeling throughout that a major twist is on the way. One that's not ultimately going to feel earned. One half the characters demonstrate the intelligence of your average lemon to ultimately make credible.

But, it did keep me glued to the end, and it is, in my opinion, a small cut above a lot of other haunted house mysteries I've seen over the years. Not excellent by any stretch, but for me this was a very watchable 7/10 within the genre, and a 6/10 more generally.

At the end, in actual fact, I felt like it could have been the extended pilot to a decent series. I want to know what happens next.

Last edited:
I also quite enjoyed ELI, particularly the first hour.

I agree about the ghostly stuff being well done, shame that it's not as evident in the 2nd half.

As I had read there was a twist I pretty much guessed it very early on.

As a whole it was a lot better than In The Tall Grass, and I think it's worth watching, just not essential.

I watched this last night.

I actually thought the ghostly stuff and scares were pretty poor, I didn't jump once and I am not exactly cool as a cucumber when it comes to jump scares!
What did save it for me was the ending, I didn't expect that at all and although the idea/theory wasn't perfect, it was a good twist and made the viewing worthwhile. I would give it probably a 6/10.

I watched this last night.

I actually thought the ghostly stuff and scares were pretty poor, I didn't jump once and I am not exactly cool as a cucumber when it comes to jump scares!
What did save it for me was the ending, I didn't expect that at all and although the idea/theory wasn't perfect, it was a good twist and made the viewing worthwhile. I would give it probably a 6/10.

I didn't find it at all scary but I did think there were some creepy parts.

I really liked, how some parts of the old house were sealed behind glass walls almost like an old museum exhibit.

There was an early ghost scene in a hallway that I thought was quite effective and I liked how the ghost appeared and disappeared as his torch beam shone on it.

There another scene when he saw the reflection of a ghost in a misted up mirror, as he wiped the mirror it wiped the ghosts image off. Horror films involving ghosts are well known for scenes with mirrors but I've never seen that effect done before.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom