Netflix's Dolemite Is My Name Review & Comments

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. We don't have Netflix, but will grab it when it pops up as an iTunes Rental, or on Disk. :) Will be great to see Eddie Murphy on form again.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
I have no idea who Dolemite is, is it still a decent watch for those not in the know?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I have no idea who Dolemite is, is it still a decent watch for those not in the know?
Neither did I, it makes no difference, just think: low budget Shaft. And it makes it even funnier when you see him basically turn into snoop dog, and realise that’s the guy who snoop modelled himself on!

Coulson

Really enjoyed this one. Oscar talk for Murphy is possible for nostalgic reasons I suppose. Don't get me wrong, Murphy is great in this, but then so then are a lot of people. There is a lot of steal sealing going here. The script is brilliant and it get's better and better as the film progresses.

Did I see an Abbey Road homage too lol.

The "special" scene in the middle.......ooooh boy that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on celluloid :)

Last edited:

mclingo

Distinguished Member
9 from me, great performance from Murphy.

encaser

Distinguished Member
I'll be checking this out later. Cheers for the world-setting review, Cas.
Murphy is in the Seinfeld Comedians in Cars Netflix thing and says he intends on coming back with stand up which, I find truly exciting. No doubt there'll be plenty hoping for those leather outfitted former glory days of killer live sets and, it's not like he doesn't have a ton of material to draw from; with everything from woke attitudes, to the polar (demise) opposite of Trump.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I got rid of Sky TV several months ago and have mulled over getting Netflix.
This may tip me over the edge, Coming To America was a great film.

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Pressed play on this last night with absolutely no idea what it was or what to expect. Loved it, best laugh I’ve had in ages can’t wait to watch it again.

Had no idea he was a real person

Coulson

What makes it even better is that they show clips from the real movie with Rudy Ray Moore. Someone has to re-release that movie.

Kotatsu Neko

I watched this one last night. It's quite fun, and it's great to see Eddie Murphy back on form doing what he does best. It's also the sweariest movie I've seen in a long time, it's amazing that it's only a 15 cert. Back in the day this would have easily been an 18.

I had no idea who the real Rudy Ray was. Netflix should really pick up his movies for curiosity value, although they look absolutely terrible.

encaser

Distinguished Member
It reminded me of those old vaudeville acts and 'whites' records in which they used to sing about getting up to 'no good' in the barn milking and haystacks etc. with thinly veiled turns of phrase. Of course, here there's far less ambiguity and updated for its era and black suburban audience with language that would've caused coronaries and strokes (pun intended) for that earlier white audience who had access to theatres and records that black people did not.
Murphy is great in the lead and clearly took this on with relish. It was interesting how he plucked (fa'nah) a woman to join him and showed that he wasn't a total misogynist out for Benjamins.
If you can get past the blue lingo, this is well worth it and possibly all the funnier with a libation or three to get in the swing of that linguistic flow that carries you through to a very funny and rewarding experience. Tarrantino should take note of how to make a truly convincing black dialogue that doesn't rely on using the N word to be 'real' or honest.

Slinkywizard

Really enjoyed this. A rare gem from Netflix.

mircea

Well, I liked Dolemite a lot but it not was as funny as Delirious, also on Netflix (I liked Delirious as a kid and I also like it now; I'm white and I find no offense in that show).
Of course, different kind of entertainment.

Jessica Noir

The four core Rudy Ray Moore movies (Dolemite, The Human Tornado, Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil's Son In-law and the incredible Disco Godfather) were released on region-free blu-ray a couple of years ago from Vinegar Syndrome. They are all well worth checking out, especially Disco Godfather which beggars belief. I got into Dolemite from Jonathan Ross playing clips on a mid-'90s cult film show, so needless to say Dolemite is my Name was right up my street. I loved every second of it, and can't wait to see it again.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
What makes it even better is that they show clips from the real movie with Rudy Ray Moore. Someone has to re-release that movie.
I watched this one last night. It's quite fun, and it's great to see Eddie Murphy back on form doing what he does best. It's also the sweariest movie I've seen in a long time, it's amazing that it's only a 15 cert. Back in the day this would have easily been an 18.

I had no idea who the real Rudy Ray was. Netflix should really pick up his movies for curiosity value, although they look absolutely terrible.
FYI Rudy Ray's Dolemite is on Amazon Prime UK if you're curious in checking it out.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I was a bit thrown by this...usually biopics have a bit where the subject struggles terribly with demons or unfair setbacks. This was not like that at all...its simply about a guy who is driven to succeed and achieves his goals through sheer determination, passion and hard work. Loved it, refreshing and inspirational. 8/10

VisionMan

I'm in! Love Eddie Murphy and thats quite a glowing review. As I know Cas knows his stuff, I'm double in! And thanks to @marcea above for the info. I haven't watched Delirious in years!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night. Pretty decent for Netflix. Murphy on top form.

Wasn't exactly rolling around with laughter (the Instant Reply bit did make me LOL though) but it was fairly amusing for the most part.

I think Oscar talk is comical though. Eddie is great but would the academy really give it to someone with 50% of their lines containing the words M.F :rotfl:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night. Pretty decent for Netflix. Murphy on top form.

Wasn't exactly rolling around with laughter (the Instant Reply bit did make me LOL though) but it was fairly amusing for the most part.

I think Oscar talk is comical though. Eddie is great but would the academy really give it to someone with 50% of their lines containing the words M.F :rotfl:
Definitely not Oscar worthy...except perhaps Wesley Snipes in a supporting role. Murphy's character is not THAT deep or enough of a departure for him as an actor. He worked harder in Bowfinger. It's just a good film...

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas

eddie might get a nomination for this, but no-one i repeat no one would argue that Joaquin phoenix Joker without doubt hands down should win best actor oscar..mesmerizing performance.

in terms of Eddie who has just finished coming to america 2 and i believe he is going back into stand up, really is a talented guy, but has made some duffers in the past decade, so this return to form is welcome. i still think his eighties stuff is best - 48 hrs, trading places, Beverley hills cop, coming to america is his greatest era - hopefully he is having his second coming as he is approaching a new period with new material

t bone

After all these glowing reviews I'm really looking forward to this one,Whether it's Oscar material I don't know as I've not seen it yet but given some of the actors who have received Oscars for complete dross anything is possible

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night and thought it was hilarious. As others have said, it’s great to see Eddie back on the screen, I’m wanting to rewatch Beverly Hills cop!
I thought the first half was strong, felt a little weaker as they started to film the movie, but appreciate now, it was a true story.
It reminded me of a tape we used to pass round at school, Paul Hogan singing foul mouthed songs, Santa Claus you * where’s me * bike
I’d actually like to see Eddie in a serious role, he’s a funny guy but there’s a serious actor in there, hopefully this will open a few doors.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Good point.