Netflix's Another Life Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas for the review.
Must say I struggled with the first episode, hope it improves as we go along. We shall see.

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and it is definitely very meh, not sure I will go back for more despite the cliff hanger ending.

Just finished the first ep, to be honest I was hoping for another Nightflyers (That was brilliant)
Sort of a weak start to this but they have used the F word a couple of times to hopefully we will encounter some darkness really soon..........

Space is all about darkness.
Will update once I finish after the weekend :D

Netflix must get through a LOT of All-Bran. Their consistency and regularity in delivering turds is really quite remarkable...

I'm giving it a chance. Watched a few episodes last night and it's not outstanding but it's ok. Think the review is a little harsh but until I finish it who knows!

Watched most of the first episode last night, whilst it is watchable it has some very poor parts to it. The zooming in on faces during 'tense' scenes is almost laughable and some of the acting is extremely dodgy.

I'd probably rate it 5.5/10 at this point, I'll give it a go for a few more episodes to see if it improves, but the direction is poor and I agree with Cas, the cast is completely wrong. For apparently the mission that has the fate of the whole planet in its hands, the cast is nonsense. You have to wonder who the casting director was here, did they come from the CW and were just told young, good looking people only. Surely if this ever happened you would have an older experienced crew?

Plus the crazy event in the first episode just made no sense. As if a former commander would behave that way with so little provocation.

I like Katee Sackhoff and she certainly has spent an extremely long time in the gym before filming this, it's a shame she is the lead in what looks from the first episode to be a very poor effort.

Watched most of the first episode last night, whilst it is watchable it has some very poor parts to it. The zooming in on faces during 'tense' scenes is almost laughable and some of the acting is extremely dodgy.

I'd probably rate it 5.5/10 at this point, I'll give it a go for a few more episodes to see if it improves, but the direction is poor and I agree with Cas, the cast is completely wrong. For apparently the mission that has the fate of the whole planet in its hands, the cast is nonsense. You have to wonder who the casting director was here, did they come from the CW and were just told young, good looking people only. Surely if this ever happened you would have an older experienced crew?

Plus the crazy event in the first episode just made no sense. As if a former commander would behave that way with so little provocation.

I like Katee Sackhoff and she certainly has spent an extremely long time in the gym before filming this, it's a shame she is the lead in what looks from the first episode to be a very poor effort.

I think I'd have agreed with a slightly higher score for the pilot, but you wait until episode 2 goes all Prometheus. I'm on episode 4 and have lost the will to live. Only The Boys can bring me back now.

Katee Sackhoff was ok in Longmire and this is probably a step too far for her talents.
She as this one look sometimes when you think there is trouble in pushing out a turd ........... :) :)

I think I'd have agreed with a slightly higher score for the pilot, but you wait until episode 2 goes all Prometheus. I'm on episode 4 and have lost the will to live. Only The Boys can bring me back now.

Yup the second episode really is a shocker in shere stupidity of the crew and even the bloody ship AI that managed to miss an entire bloody moon :laugh:.

I'm on ep 3 of The Boys and loving every bloody minute of it :thumbsup:.

Yup the second episode really is a shocker in shere stupidity of the crew and even the bloody ship AI that managed to miss an entire bloody moon :laugh:.

I'm on ep 3 of The Boys and loving every bloody minute of it :thumbsup:.
The Boys ticks my box (Folks moaned The Tick but still watched it because it was fun and stupid) so will be giving that a go and with the season 2 of Succession on the horizon soon........

Best thing on the box right now, Russell Crowe in The Loudest Voice.
I have never thought much of him but when the right script, casting, production and direction falls in all total sync it blows you away. Think of Jeff Daniels in The Looming Tower.
I had high hopes for Another Life when I watched the trailer........ it may yet surprise us all :D

Katee Sackhoff was ok in Longmire and this is probably a step too far for her talents.
She as this one look sometimes when you think there is trouble in pushing out a turd ........... :) :)

She's FANTASTIC in Battlestar Galactica. Amazing actress.

Just goes to show how much of a difference a good script can make...

Just finished the first ep, to be honest I was hoping for another Nightflyers (That was brilliant

That's a bit worrying, we really didn't like Nightflyers, was a heaving mess (in our opinion), so if this is like that I might just give it a miss completely. Ironically we have also just started watching BSG with a younger Sackhoff which we are thoroughly enjoying.

Watched the first couple of episodes last night. And didn't realise that the supporting cast from Love Island had made a Space soap opera..:rotfl:

Picture & Sound are great but that's about it. So far..:p

Katee Sackhoff has smarmy scoff face down pat and it gets about as welcome as the slapped arse face of Elisabeth Moss in The Handmaid's Tale. And the comments about how ripped she looks for the role do as much good as Madonna's physique for her music.
I FULLY endorse (said in Donald Trump voice) THIS SHOW.
My God is it pants. In fact, there aren't enough pairs of underwear in the world (or lingering shots on Sackhoff in slender wear) to make this better. At least she had the good grace to hit flesh bottom and show some in the questionable Riddick offering to lift...spirits.
There's nothing on offer to recommend this show to anyone, aside from the odd visual effect that's in Dolby Vision. In fact, it'd do better in silence as a screen saver with those few and far between decent ones. Make the mistake of paying attention and it turns into a check box of looks that some driving instructors must have as they draw yet another stroke in the error box. It would serve well as a video for those contemplating the de/merits of having children with an 'adult' crew that floats the notion of whether humanity deserves to be saved on any level.
Why would an alien race want to help us after meeting this bunch..?
I feel your pain, Cas.

More quantity over quality from Netflix then. Nothing spoils a series for me as much as broken internal logic, characters behaving in ways real humans wouldn't, and everyone being too pretty. Looks like this one deals the full house.

That's a bit worrying, we really didn't like Nightflyers, was a heaving mess (in our opinion), so if this is like that I might just give it a miss completely. Ironically we have also just started watching BSG with a younger Sackhoff which we are thoroughly enjoying.
Nightflyers could have been better but we have all seen worse, Can Katie lead a series? tough call as so many factors need to be in place...
Sometimes the role chooses you.

She's FANTASTIC in Battlestar Galactica. Amazing actress.

Just goes to show how much of a difference a good script can make...
Defo, she can act but this (I am currently into ep 3) is worse than watching Love Island.

I watched the first episode, then proceeded to flick through the remaining 9 episodes in about 40 minutes. Conclusion: its absolute garbage, the 4 out of 10 score on here is way way off base, it's far too generous.

Story, acting and CGI looks like a student effort. AVOID this if you can.

Spoiler alert : IT DOESN'T GET BETTER

My rating is a complete dogshit 1 out of 10

Last edited:
Arse! Was really looking forward to this when I saw sackhoff was starring. Brilliant in the peerless BSG. :(

Oh well, Orange is the new black season 7 out today - probably the best show Netflix has ever made...

My lad was watching this earlier and at seeing Sackhoff again, I couldn't help but be reminded of dear old Roger Moore when asked what it was like to go to bed with (similarly toned) Grace Jones?...It was like riding a bike!

My lad was watching this earlier and at seeing Sackhoff again, I couldn't help but be reminded of dear old Roger Moore when asked what it was like to go to bed with (similarly toned) Grace Jones?...It was like riding a bike!
Sir Roger was never the same again :)

Only just made it through the first episode because there was alcohol to hand... If this was suppose to be the crew and leadership of the future sent out to potentially save Earth then I can only hope it ends with the planet's destruction because we will have deserved it.

Surprised there wasn't a safe space area on the ship for all the spoilt little snowflakes that made up the crew to hide in. Terrible politically correct sci-fi likely aimed primarily at millennials, the future is grim if Netflix churns out anymore of this crap...

Thanks Cas, removed from watchlist......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom