Quantcast

Netflix's Altered Carbon Season 2 Review & Comments

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Do you never sleep Cas?

Cheers for the review, looking forward to finishing this off over the next few days.

TheAdmiralCS

Burned through 3 episodes today, highly enjoyable. Mackie brings a different approach to Kovacs, similar to the way the character gets portrayed in the books really (I see the character changing slightly there too). Loved Kinnaman in the first series and I think Mackie does a great job in this too. Solid 9 for me.

Tim2049

Normally right with you Cas, but can't agree here. The acting just isn't up to par and, as much as its visuals are praised, I thought it looked...well, like most Netflix series - dull. Almost every scene is indoors...in a dark room. I thought the cinematography was bland throughout. Seems to be a real trend for Netlfix series..

Enjoyed the first series, but I've given up on this now. It's alright, but it's just not good enough. Life's too short for all this mediocrity..

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Thanks as always for the review Cas, You must get worn out watching all this content!

I am swamped with TV to catch up on at the moment! But this will be watched soon.

Just finished Boardwalk Empire (yes I had not seen a single episode before :eek: ) and now have to watch...

Van Helsing S3 (almost done, Really like this one!)
Better call saul S5
Picard
TWD S10 Pt2
Altered Carbon S2
AHS 1984
The 100 S6 (Hoping this will be on prime soon?)

That's just off the top of my head :facepalm:

Mevlock

I binged watch the entire thing over two days.

Really really enjoyed it.

But yes Mackie was far too one note for me.

It'll be interesting to see who they cast for the third season.

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
With all the great content out there, I am really fussy about what I watch, with all the other things you can do with your spare time.

I was stuck in hotel down South last night with little to do and so I watched the first and most of the second episodes - and I'm not going to be rushing back for more in a hurry.

Frankly, I found this all a bit overwrought, meandering and a bit up itself. I didn't think the acting was up to much either. So I may give it another go when I'm at a loose end - and Sci Fi is normally right up my street...

Hixs

Distinguished Member
@rhino2k - it's on Netflix

Any news of Altered Carbon making it's way to disk?

StrikerXL

Standard Member
@rhino2k - it's on Netflix

Any news of Altered Carbon making it's way to disk?
That would be awesome on 4K UHD Blu-ray icluding Dolby Vision and Atmos.
But I don't think it will come anytime soon tbh if at all.

StrikerXL

Standard Member
@Casimir Harlow love this review you wrote! ❤
Also not too revealing, since I'm still watching atm.

One thing I really liked about the first season and you can guess what or better said who ... Joel Kinnaman. He's depiction of the Tak character has little something more, let's say magic on screen, but I do still like Mackie's version too in the first two episodes.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

gfplux

I quit after 6 episodes of season one. I found it boring and not very clever.

ggrossen

i am half way through the 2nd season - i'm enjoying this - but I am a bit of a fan of sci-fi noir

Last edited:

WhyDoIBother

Watched one and a half episodes on Friday night and so far this season feels similar to the 1st season in that it has potential to be a great bit of sci fi but too often comes across as trying too hard. Fight scenes also seem way over choreographed yet fall quite flat in the excitement stakes.

Binge watched The Expanse again just before this was released, so maybe expectations are set a little too high...

Marie101

Novice Member
Having read all 3 books, I was severely disappointed after the first episode that they were calling this Broken Angels, when it totally skipped the whole Martian ship theme and that planet, and only Takeshi's body was lifted from the second book. I was so looking forward to seeing how they portrayed the Martians and their technology, but I guess those special effects were too costly. I didn't mind the alterations they made to season 1 as all the subtle things can't possibly be added to a TV or movie adaptation, but to skip a whole book basically is depressing. There was Martian based technology in the third book, so I will finish watching this series just to see how much of that they incorporate, but I need to wait until I am over my disappointment first.

Slinkywizard

I quit after 6 episodes of season one. I found it boring and not very clever.
Simply put, but I agree. As far as sci-fi goes the whole thing comes off like it was written by a teenager who's read nothing but fanfic his whole life. I find the whole thing incredibly pedestrian from the writing to the direction, the conspicuously choreographed fighting, the dull dull dull story objectives I cannot muster one single sh*t about, and more. Always willing to give a show a chance in its second season because so many shows have started out average and learned from their mistakes.

Not Altered Carbon. Season 2 doubles down on dross. I like Mackie in other things. But he can't save this. Amateurish and boring, I managed just the first episode. *shudders*

It's a 3/10 from me.

Last edited:

Hampy1972

Finished it over the weekend, my opinion, Joel K is way better actor than Mackie.
Season 1 was way way more superior, storywise and acting performances.

The only highlight was *Poe*

Give it a 6/10!
Thanks Cas

Last edited:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Personally I really loved Season One, it took a couple of episodes to get into the world but after that I was converted. A solid 8/10 series, maybe even 9/10.

I've 2 episodes left on Season Two, but so far it's been a 5/10 season.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Similar to @Robothamster

Didn't mind serries one, once I got into it I really enjoyed it.
Just about got through the 1st episode of series 2 and at the end of it thought...what a load of tosh!

Normally I like to give things 3-4 episodes but I can't bring myself to give this one my time.

If everyone just happens to get backed up before they die forever, what's the point!

george1976

Mackie doesn't strike me like the guy who will drown his sorrow in whisky, just watched 3 episodes and he seems like the only actor underperforming at this moment.