Quantcast

Netflix's After Life Season 2 TV Show Review & Comments

richp007

Distinguished Member
Not dived in yet, but I've made my thoughts known on the first season a few times. For me definitely the best thing he's done as well.

Looking forward to seeing what happens this season.

StackH

Binged in a day, and thoroughly agree that the Paul Kaye character just doesn’t fit in, coming across as offensive simply for the sake of it. Also found the overuse of the ‘C’ word moved into pointless swearing territory, rather than for genuine shock value or understandable use. One particular characters use of it went from hilarious the first time, to “really?” after about the fifth time in a row.

It’s still great work though, avoiding sentimentality but flicking seamlessly from highly emotional to highly funny and vice versa.

LexDiamond

I struggled to carry on after the second episode because it is really heavy to watch. Excellent to watch so far but I found it very dark and sad and doubt I will be able to watch more than one episode at a time.

Tim2049

The Office was incredible, Extras wasn't too far off. Everything he's done since has paled in comparison..

(...plus, both those series were hilarious without Gervais having to use the 'C' word constantly. He was wittier back then & didn't need that kind of crutch...)

Slinkywizard

The Office was incredible, Extras wasn't too far off. Everything he's done since has paled in comparison..

(...plus, both those series were hilarious without Gervais having to use the 'C' word constantly. He was wittier back then & didn't need that kind of crutch...)
I think the Independent's review matched my take on this most closely, saying that Gervais keeps putting swear words where the jokes should be. I tried two episodes of this, but I have to agree with you. Gervais used to write smart, cringe comedy that relied on more than just the C word to see it through. The only thing that kept me going for two episodes was the weird crush I have on Diane Morgan. Remember, ten years ago Gervais' output was put alongside Larry David's, as birds of a feather. Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm S10 now, then watch this. David's show is just in another league altogether.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
People saying it's not as funny as the office need to listen to Ricky's reply to one of the newspaper critics who gave it 3/5.
It's different altogether,like comparing apples and fish.
'Schindler's list, pretty good but not as much fun as ET.'

LexDiamond

I thought the swearing wasn’t really out of place. He’s an angry man due to grieving and is acting up. The show never really was based on jokes. It has been a look at a man’s existential crisis from Gervais’s point of view, which is consistent with how he has always viewed the world through his previous work.

Gambit1977

I enjoyed this, despite my one the fence opinion of Gervais.

My one issue with the second series is that by an episode or 2 in, you want to slap him out of it. It becomes a frustration rather than a device.

Still enjoyed on the whole though.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I've listened to quite a few interviews with Gervais on various podcasts; and I really don't think he did this second series for the money. I think he found a collage of characters that he's completely in love with and wanted to spend more time with them. I think this show is unlike anything else, and as pointless as compering this to The Office can be said in comparing it to Curb.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I thought the swearing wasn’t really out of place. He’s an angry man due to grieving and is acting up. The show never really was based on jokes. It has been a look at a man’s existential crisis from Gervais’s point of view, which is consistent with how he has always viewed the world through his previous work.
I think it's a lot of the other characters using the c word excessively that seems slightly jarring. It loses it's value an insult because of that. IMO anyway.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I wanted to see more of Sandy, hopefully if there's another series she'll be more of a focus.

Doesn't come anywhere close to The Office. It is definitely enjoyable, but can be frustrating at times and sometimes feel like Gervais shoehorning a lot of his previously aired thoughts into something with a story.

encaser

Too many omissions in the guise of making Tony a better person diluted some of the dark and sharply smart humour in this. At times, I expected a Richard Curtis soundtrack rising with his compromises and attempts at seeing others pain or, setting them up with a partner.
Perhaps worse still, some of those tender moments felt too contrived and forced - like the cafe scene with Kath. The Kaye scenes were abysmal and played out like Gervais had written a bunch of: I feel your pain women/feminist scenes and having the postie in again and again was bemusing - as the most patient of people would tell him to do one.
Why he chose to waste David Bradley and, essentially, Ashley Jensen, I found a bit bemusing too.
On the positive side, when he allowed Tony to be more himself - what presumably his wife loved, anyway -, then there was some sparkle in the writing and it did manage to get things righted as far as emotively by end.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
***, stop comparing it to the office! That's totally ridiculous. A spoof doc following a made up firm with an incompetent manager, vs a programme where a bloke wants to kill himself because his Mrs died far too young from cancer!
It's getting really tiresome, and something Gervais himself had addressed on YouTube.

But the summary of the review said it was possibly the best thing he's ever done, which I find crazy. I wouldn't have drawn the comparison otherwise. I would argue both fall into the bracket of comedy, with the same writer... why would you not hold it up to his other works which it pales in comparison to?

Slinkywizard

But the summary of the review said it was possibly the best thing he's ever done, which I find crazy. I wouldn't have drawn the comparison otherwise. I would argue both fall into the bracket of comedy, with the same writer... why would you not hold it up to his other works which it pales in comparison to?
Yeah, they're both sitcoms written by and starring Ricky Gervais. Despite the thematic differences it's still apples to apples in my opinion. I also don't really care much what Mr Gervais says about how other people receive his work. It's not up to him decide how much other people should like it, and the fact he's deflecting to me just affirms the legitimacy of the comparison.

I loved The Office, loved Extras (Patrick Stewart's film idea still makes me cry with laughter just thinking about it) and didn't hate the first season of this. I'm neither anti, nor pro-Gervais. But he's definitely on a downswing. The good news is that probably means we're in for something better from him in the near future.

Last edited:

LexDiamond

I think it's a lot of the other characters using the c word excessively that seems slightly jarring. It loses it's value an insult because of that. IMO anyway.
I have only seen the first two episodes so shouldn’t have posted as it may well be an issue in the next 4 episodes.

Toon Army

Thanks Cas and would agree with your rating. Watched the whole series and thought the excessive use of the " c " word was pointless. Loved the Tambury Revue show and you just knew beforehand what would happen.

xar

Great show. Loved it. I do agree the swearing was excessive at times (not being a prude, just felt a bit forced), and the bits with Paul Kaye were random (although his quote about Hitler had me in stitches!), but overall I thought it was excellent. His character is very well realised.

GreyMutton

Finished this last night and, while it was still good and very watchable, there were a few things that were jarring. Paul Kaye's character especially as he was just so outlandish and served no real purpose other than to be crass.
Still it had quite a few laugh out loud moments and I ended up messaging a family member I hadn't seen in a while to check in on them, so it clearly hit a nerve.