Netflix's After Life Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Awesome. I love his stand up, so deffo watching this when I get the chance.

Super show. Not a massive RG fan, in fact he does get on my tits but this was fab along with a great cast. Well worth a watch.

p.s. anyone know where this was shot??

We thoroughly enjoyed the show and quite unusually for us we watched all 6 episodes in one day! The soundtrack is also great using well known classics to move the viewer at key moments, usually the ending of each episode. It's funny, moving and makes me love Ricky even more!

I have been thinking of getting Netflix, this may push me over the edge.

Watched the first 2 last night and will no doubt finish tonight.
Great humour and no doubt the heart will be tugged a little tonight, hoping there will be room for a second season..

I cancelled Sky TV and had a good chat with they guy at the other end, he said the same!

Super show. Not a massive RG fan, in fact he does get on my tits but this was fab along with a great cast. Well worth a watch.

The office part and the high street that most of it seem to be filmed ,is in Hemel Hempstead

Just watched this in one sitting last night. Absolutely loved it. I laughed out loud in one scene, and had a lump in my throat in the next. Really well written, and all actors were excellent. Quite thought provoking too.
I enjoy Gervais' comedy writing (The Office is a bonafide classic), but when he writes drama I think he is underrated. I always think of the end of the office, BB house breakdown in extras, and Derek as prime examples.

I never got into his humour but as a serious actor he is under rated.

I agree with this probably being his best work.
Only one gripe with the review and its cas' constant use of the word 'little' when talking about films and TV shows almost everything is a cracking little thriller, or a superb little horror, a fantastic little suspense movie etc. etc. Sorry I'm not being personal but it's in 99% of his reviews and it just annoys me. My Mrs says I'm like Tony.... maybe I've just proved it!

If you enjoyed Derrick you will most certainly love this too. A lot of the same actors crop up in this series and Gervais has a clever way of making you laugh in uncomfortable situations. Definite 10 out of 10 for me, watched the whole series in one evening and will be recommending this to friends and family to spread the word

Just finished watching this with the wife in one hit today.

I absolutely loved it and the wife did too. The end scene of episode 5 brought my wife and I to tears because thats a similar way to how the wife got her first dog.

Ricky has always said he knows hes not an actor, but I think he is really good in this. Really acts well.

More please.

As divisive as Ricky is I have always been a fan since the 11 O'clock Show and through the Office and Derek the pathos has always underlined his work.

Popped this on last night at about 10pm. I thought I’d just watch an episode or two to see if I liked it. Ended up finishing the whole lot. Really enjoyed it. Her indoors was sobbing:laugh:

Well written and some great thought provoking moments.

A definite 9/10.

Constructive criticism would be that some parts of it came across as lazy. The gravestones for example looked like they were just plonked there and anyone could kick them over.

I've always had mixed feelings about his work. Loved the Office and Extras, thought his stand-up was/is awful. Thought his movie "The Invention of Lying" is underrated. Will give this one a go though, I like the look of the trailer

It’s not an easy watch but it slightly takes me out the story knowing Ricky didn’t go through this? Not that I wish he had

As someone who is on meds to suppress the negativity I am struggling with how easy he admits the thoughts and his easily his work friends accept this.

For me I often think about ending it except obviously here under relative anonymity as none of you know me, which I why it’s easier for me to say here, I’m interested in how Ricky came up with this character who is easily talking to anyone about how he wants to go.

Looking forward to watching this week, not many episodes and they're quite short.
Thank you.

It’s not an easy watch but it slightly takes me out the story knowing Ricky didn’t go through this? Not that I wish he had

As someone who is on meds to suppress the negativity I am struggling with how easy he admits the thoughts and his easily his work friends accept this.

For me I often think about ending it except obviously here under relative anonymity as none of you know me, which I why it’s easier for me to say here, I’m interested in how Ricky came up with this character who is easily talking to anyone about how he wants to go.

Sounds like things get pretty tough for you at times pal... I'm glad you've found solace in these forums. I bet I speak for a load of members here when I say feel free to strike up an anonymous conversation anytime you feel like you're struggling.

Loved this. Watched it over weekend, I laughed out loud and fought back the tears, sometimes within the same scene. An absolute classic and probably RG's finest work to date, though he can do no wrong for me, one of Britain's finest talents for sure. Definitely a 9.5/10 (wish for there were more episodes). Just hope there is a Season 2. Another great Netfilx show....

I will be watching this series again soon....

FWIW...

Where is After Life filmed? Tambury Filming Location from Ricky Gervais Netflix series

The office part and the high street that most of it seem to be filmed ,is in Hemel Hempstead

Such a stark contrast between Hemel’s picturesque Old Town and the eyesore that was built up the hill! At least Wally World is looking slightly better since the refit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom