Netflix won't reach full HD?

SirGorilla

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, all! Okay, so, I've been using Netflix on my Xbox 360 for almost a year now, and I've never had a problem reaching full HD quality within a couple of seconds of the stream initiating. Since the app's latest update (which has turned the interface into a fudgeing mess, I should say), however, I cannot seem to get full HD quality. It'll get to, like, 70-80% quality, but the crispness just isn't there any more. It used to 'pop in' at a certain point and reach full quality, but nada now :[.

Thanks!

xx

I find this on occasion too mate. I think it's a combination of factors including your ISP and their new interface. I hate the way it doesn't show the HD symbol anymore when you pause it. However a right click of the stick should give you a little info in the top left of your screen, most notably whether it is currently 720p or not. Altho as you say, you can tell by the picture if it's right or not.

But anyway, I'm sure it will correct itself as mine has improved over the last few weeks. Probably just teething issues with their new setup. And it goes without saying you should try to ensure nothing else is hogging your connection whilst the film/episode loads up. Sometimes if I am using Wi-Fi on my phone, it can impact on how quickly the HD hits on the screen.

I find this on occasion too mate. I think it's a combination of factors including your ISP and their new interface. I hate the way it doesn't show the HD symbol anymore when you pause it. However a right click of the stick should give you a little info in the top left of your screen, most notably whether it is currently 720p or not. Altho as you say, you can tell by the picture if it's right or not.

But anyway, I'm sure it will correct itself as mine has improved over the last few weeks. Probably just teething issues with their new setup. And it goes without saying you should try to ensure nothing else is hogging your connection whilst the film/episode loads up. Sometimes if I am using Wi-Fi on my phone, it can impact on how quickly the HD hits on the screen.

I'm sure it's not our ISP or connection (we get 80 down and 20 up with a really low ping, and the connection has always been incredible), but I agree it's most likely something to do with the new interface and set-up.

I tried your right stick click trick (hey, hey!), and the quality appears to stay at 480p the entire time, even when watching things that were released this year and would be crystal clear HD before. So very annoying :[.

Customer service weren't much help either.

xx

I have been having the same problem., Have done every sort of troubleshooting available and brought the equation down to Netflix app also. I have tested all apps come in HD Fine on my xbox360 also my computer in another room streams hd. I have 18mbps download and low ping. Called my provider and also Netflix the only thing left is the app. It started to happen at the same time as last update. I been told by Netflix that no one else has called about this so they have no clue but I can do a search online and see lots of people saying the same exact thing. When I called Netflix I got the runaround 3 times with finally a manager admitting its their fault somewhere on their end. I was adamite about canceling my account unless they look into it to correct the issue and telling them about my 3 days research and everything I have done to find the problem. Still workers there didn't get it, if hulu plus is coming in hd crackle is and every other service but yours isn't and your telling me to call my provider cause of a imaginary bottleneck . Anyways I stuck to my guns and was relentless for them to listen that its the apps fault.

Well, After countless hours of research and phone calls and digging deep here is what's going on.

The last update had a anti piracy procedure placed in the xbox360 which is said to help control theft of movies and so on. It takes the hdmi signal and infuses it with the device so it cannot be plugged in supposedly to recordable devices . The coaxial cable is now only rated to 480sd. while the hdmi will send signals of 720. So everyone that has the old method of connecting the hdmi is cut short with resolution while the hdmi sends the higher bitrate and able to stream the hd settings.
Microsoft and Netflix is both clueless on this update and anti feature it seems. Well if anyone is not getting hd is due to this.. change out the older cables for hdmi and you will get the higher stream rates.

Are they going to fix this? I highly doubt it , its like a phase out so devices can be monitored.
Hope it helps.....

Update- Its called HDCP- Which means High bandwidth digital content protection

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom