Quantcast

Netflix to lower streaming quality in Europe

xar

I am very much noticing watching Hannibal season 3 as I type this. Macro-blocking is severe.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Are they going to reduce subscription rates too?
Should be an immediate free period for all broadband and streaming services during the enforced homeworking/isolation period

anticlaus105

The Platform is out today. I've been looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't look naff.

JonUK

Just had a long winded online chat with a Netflix rep. No one will receive a refund for degradation of service. So there you have it.... Vote with your wallet.

Top tier plan running on a 330Meg FTTP

Last bit of chat:-

Netflix

you will continue to get the level of service you have paid for (4K, HD, etc.) but at a lower bitrate. Some members may see a reduction in video quality, while others may not notice any changes at all. Members can continue watching on the same number of screens their plan allows.

JonUK

JonUK

Not that I'm jealous or anything, but may your toilet roll run out, your bread go stale and your milk curdle.

:p
Employer has it's perks....

😉

JonUK

sparkymark75

Just had a long winded online chat with a Netflix rep. No one will receive a refund for degradation of service. So there you have it.... Vote with your wallet.

Top tier plan running on a 330Meg FTTP

Last bit of chat:-

Netflix

you will continue to get the level of service you have paid for (4K, HD, etc.) but at a lower bitrate. Some members may see a reduction in video quality, while others may not notice any changes at all. Members can continue watching on the same number of screens their plan allows.

JonUK
Already have, cancelled it the other day. I have no issue with the principal of what they are doing, but to not reduce subscription charges is just robbery. What's to say they "forget" to revert the bitrate to what it was? ISPs have already said there's plenty of bandwidth to cope.

jwsg

From Ken Florance, VP Content Delivery Netflix Open Connect
We immediately developed, tested and deployed a way to reduce Netflix’s traffic on these networks by 25% - starting with Italy and Spain, which were experiencing the biggest impact. Within 48 hours, we’d hit that goal and we’re now deploying this across the rest of Europe and the UK.
In normal circumstances, we have many (sometimes dozens) of different streams for a single title within each resolution. In Europe, for the next 30 days, within each category we’ve simply removed the highest bandwidth streams. If you are particularly tuned into video quality you may notice a very slight decrease in quality within each resolution. But you will still get the video quality you paid for

sparkymark75

How can he at the same time reduce the quality but still also provide you with the quality you paid for? Is he a magician?!

jwsg

From Plusnet
Our network is key to keeping you connected and is built to support the ‘evening peak’, when most of you are watching Netflix whilst doing the online shop, and the kids are on TikTok. This roughly amounts to at least ten times the typical daytime demand, so we’re confident that we can keep you doing things you need to, when you want to do them.

drexel75

Does this affect Dolby Vision? I'm sure my Samsung TV used to display Dolby Vision in the corner when first playing content with Dolby Vision but it doesn't now. Amazon content with HDR still has an icon that appears saying HDR for a few seconds in the corner of the screen.

chopples

Does this affect Dolby Vision? I'm sure my Samsung TV used to display Dolby Vision in the corner when first playing content with Dolby Vision but it doesn't now. Amazon content with HDR still has an icon that appears saying HDR for a few seconds in the corner of the screen.
Hi mate

Samsung TVs do not and have never supported Dolby Vision

jwsg

The best way to allow bit-rate to be reduced is to encode at 1440p which can look OK as you can test by watching one of the Youtube HDR demos. This seems to be the approach on Disney+ at the moment along with 256K audio. As with rips there will be a 'quality slider' which reduces the bit-rate too, but under 10Mb/s sounds too low for full 4K.

A SDR encode might also save some bit-rate against HDR but so far its just the quality they're dropping - they still want to claim they're providing the UHD HDR we're paying for.

jwsg

With a LG its best to check the picture mode which will change in HDR and DV and also click the top left banner to check. You can easily miss the toast.

The Disney+ app has a glitch where it misreads the device audio capability (e.g. gets locked to stereo) and needs the device settings to be toggled and the app to be killed to pick up the correct capabilities

Whenever a LG app misbehaves the remedies are to kill the app by bringing up running apps with a long-press of Home, or to re-install the app, or to unplug the TV from the mains for a while.

drexel75

Got it sussed now. I was watching Designated Survivor which lists as having Dolby Vision but it's actually only the 3rd season that has Dolby Vision. Explains why the pop-up icon didn't display. All good now.

sparkymark75

Only getting 7.62 mbps for the last 24 hrs instead of 15.25. That's a hell of a lot more than a 25% reduction
And do you think they'll put it back to what it was after 30 days?

slickric21

Yeah I can verify this reduction in quality as well.
4K streams that were 15.25mbps are now all 7.62mbps.
Subscription cancelled.

I don’t think Netflix really need to do this, almost all major ISPs have said they can cope with the extra demand during the day !!

Trending threads

Latest News

TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Display to quit LCD production
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony XH81, XH80 and X70 TVs now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV sales rise as UK stays home