Netflix The Kominsky Method Series 3

encaser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the third series is up on Netflix and one I'm really looking forward to.
Sadly, Alan Arkin bowed out but hopefully this will be as good as it can be without him.
If you haven't tried this, I suggest giving it a go. It took a couple of goes for me to fully engage with this but once I did I really enjoyed the quirks of character on offer.
It's subtler than Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm (not difficult) but just as smart.

Agree it is an excellent show, I am looking forwards to the third series but I will miss Alan Arkin's "Norman" such an excellent actor.

Finished this last night on a binge and it didn't disappoint.
Kathleen Turner fills in for Arkin and is not just good fun but demonstrates that she really still can act on many levels with aplomb. We at last get to see Martin's (that skull cap!) twitch-inducing mom and she doesn't let you down. Total dragon that's a joy. The guest appearance by Morgan Freeman is funny, warm and takes a joyful stab at woke labels and times. Haley and Lisa are great as the gold digging addict mom and nut-so Scientologist son.
Special mention needs go to Jane Seymour, who is comedy gold in the funeral speech and scene that follows with Sandy.
Talking of which; this whole show proved to be something of a Masterclass, in which Michael Douglas has continually more than delivered the highest of standards.
This outing runs the gamut of learning to deal not only with losing someone or something but also, when you can, in seeing the win in what comes next because after all you're still here, and this series finishes strong for it.

Last edited:
@encaser: Oy, where’s the spoiler alert? Bad form giving details away to those of us that haven’t watched it yet. :nono:

@encaser: Oy, where’s the spoiler alert? Bad form giving details away to those of us that haven’t watched it yet. :nono:
Really? The fact I don't actually say what happens and have said season 3 should surely be enough - and blanked out the only real surprise guest star plus what I have said is hardly a revelation. Anyone clicking on imdb or Netflix gets rather more spoilered in video for the start of each season. But for the faint of heart, I've applied the tags.

Last edited:
Blitzed it today. Great show. Agreed on Douglas. A class act.

Two episodes in. Very enjoyable so far.

Good to hear S3 is not a flop.
I have always liked Douglas, such a good actor, need to start going through some of his back catalog again

Try the Streets of San Francisco!

I understand as well as anyone that grief can be hard, and it can and probably should be an essential part of the fabric of a show like 'The Kominsky Method.' when its two stars are of the, well, not insignificant ages that Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas are.

But come on!...

Did that really have to mean one of them being killed off between the end of the penultimate Season and the beginning of the final Season - and, to add insult to injury, having him die off-screen?!

To me; take one of the two lead characters, whose on-screen chemistry is arguably the main reason for watching the Show, out of it, and there's very little point in continuing to watch the Show. In fact I did keep watching it to the end because I'm a big fan of Paul Reiser, but for my money his character just didn't fill the gap created by Arkin's absence.

If the Series had wrapped with the death of one of the two leads at the end of Season 2 I'd have been fine with that. Instead; without Alan Arkin Season 3 seemeed to me like rather a waste of time - and yes, it did genuinely leave me grieving a certain loss. And perhaps that was the point and if it was then I have to concede that in a way it was a masterstroke. But REAL grief is not a feeling that I want to be experiencing at the end of any TV Series. There's enough real grief in real life!

I want the TV shows and movies that I watch to ultimately leave me with at least some kind of sense of satisfaction.

Death can also leave a grieving person feeling angry and cheated and although I certainly watched 'The Kominsky Method.' because it had the spectre of death hanging over it, I certainly didn't want the end of it to leave me feeling genuinely angry and cheated. And boy did I feel angry and cheated when I started watching Season 3 and realized that Alan Arkin wasn't going to be in it!!

Again there's enough feeling angry and cheated by death in real-life. I don't need it from my TV entertainment too.

It also seems rather obvious to me that Season 3 of 'The Kominsky Method.' absolutely needed to be shorter because without Alan Arkin it didn't have enough ingredients to sustain it for longer. So why didn't the screenwriters consider the possibility that a third Season of the Show was one Season too many?

And times being what they are with so many shows going straight to streaming and not getting a physical release; I'm left with only Season 1 of 'The Kominsky Method.' on the superior blu ray, and Season 2 on Netflix - to which I of course have to subscribe if I want to watch Season 2!

I do wish studios would release all the Seasons of a TV Show on blu ray once they've started, instead of leaving us Physical Media collectors with incomplete collections

Last edited:
I understand as well as anyone that grief can be hard, and it can and probably should be an essential part of the fabric of a show like 'The Kominsky Method.' when its two stars are of the, well, not insignificant ages that Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas are.

But come on!...

Did that really have to mean one of them being killed off between the end of the penultimate Season and the beginning of the final Season - and, to add insult to injury, having him die off-screen?!

To me; take one of the two lead characters, whose on-screen chemistry is arguably the main reason for watching the Show, out of it, and there's very little point in continuing to watch the Show. In fact I did keep watching it to the end because I'm a big fan of Paul Reiser, but for my money his character just didn't fill the gap created by Arkin's absence.

If the Series had wrapped with the death of one of the two leads at the end of Season 2 I'd have been fine with that. Instead; without Alan Arkin Season 3 seemeed to me like rather a waste of time - and yes, it did genuinely leave me grieving a certain loss. And perhaps that was the point and if it was then I have to concede that in a way it was a masterstroke. But REAL grief is not a feeling that I want to be experiencing at the end of any TV Series. There's enough real grief in real life!

I want the TV shows and movies that I watch to ultimately leave me with at least some kind of sense of satisfaction.

Death can also leave a grieving person feeling angry and cheated and although I certainly watched 'The Kominsky Method.' because it had the spectre of death hanging over it, I certainly didn't want the end of it to leave me feeling genuinely angry and cheated. And boy did I feel angry and cheated when I started watching Season 3 and realized that Alan Arkin wasn't going to be in it!!

Again there's enough feeling angry and cheated by death in real-life. I don't need it from my TV entertainment too.

It also seems rather obvious to me that Season 3 of 'The Kominsky Method.' absolutely needed to be shorter because without Alan Arkin it didn't have enough ingredients to sustain it for longer. So why didn't the screenwriters consider the possibility that a third Season of the Show was one Season too many?

And times being what they are with so many shows going straight to streaming and not getting a physical release; I'm left with only Season 1 of 'The Kominsky Method.' on the superior blu ray, and Season 2 on Netflix - to which I of course have to subscribe if I want to watch Season 2!

I do wish studios would release all the Seasons of a TV Show on blu ray once they've started, instead of leaving us Physical Media collectors with incomplete collections
I take it, you aren't aware that Arkin only ever agreed to 2 seasons and so it was always going to do what it did?

It was a pity that Arkin's character got killed off, but things move on I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom