Netflix streaming in HDR/Dolby Vision

I am reading that to get it will require a app update..

"However, Netflix notes that if you internet connection is too slow you can also enjoy HDR at 1080p or 720p resolution"

never thought I'd see HDR and 720p in the same sentence.

So this won't work with 1080 HD projectors?

Hopefully the Nvidia shield will get this sooner than later
Hasn't happened yet, I think neither Samsung or NVidia are in any great rush. As at the moment I think there is only two shows in HDR, Marco Polo (yawn) , and Season 2 of Daredevil, which I also don't think is particularly that good. Some terrible acting.

Doesn't seem to be any rush to get this out

So this won't work with 1080 HD projectors?
I would say not. Unless your Projector is 10Bit maybe. I doubt it though. There are 7 things, and the New Netflix HDR needs your device to have at least 5 out of the 7 things apparently. Sorry I would put a link, but on my phone which is a bit rubbish.

I would say not, I don't think this model is 10Bit. I think the 8500 is the minimum model in the Samsung 4K TV's to play HDR. I could be wrong.
And if it doesnt, will I just get HD 1080 even with this TV??

And if it doesnt, will I just get HD 1080 even with this TV??
No, you will get 4K. As it is a 4K TV, it just won't have the HDR (High Dynamic Range) colour and contrast. 4K is the picture resolution, HDR is just an improvement on the colour and contrast. I would ask someone in a TV store before buying a 4K Blu Ray player though, just to make sure it will play the 4K discs. It will definitely "Stream 4K" from Netflix, just not the new HDR 4K. Very confusing I know. If it has HDMI 2.0a , it should play 4K discs, but I would still ask someone who sells these TV's to make sure. Or put a post on here asking specifically if it will play 4K Blu Ray Discs. I wouldn't want to answer unless I was 100%.

I would say not, I don't think this model is 10Bit. I think the 8500 is the minimum model in the Samsung 4K TV's to play HDR. I could be wrong.
Personally, I wouldn't bother getting a 40inch 4K TV, especially if you have a adequate 1080p TV at the moment. As with a 40 inch TV the difference between 1080p and 4K, if you are sat more than six feet away from the TV , will be marginal, and not worth buying a new TV.

No, you will get 4K. As it is a 4K TV, it just won't have the HDR (High Dynamic Range) colour and contrast. 4K is the picture resolution, HDR is just an improvement on the colour and contrast. I would ask someone in a TV store before buying a 4K Blu Ray player though, just to make sure it will play the 4K discs. It will definitely "Stream 4K" from Netflix, just not the new HDR 4K. Very confusing I know. If it has HDMI 2.0a , it should play 4K discs, but I would still ask someone who sells these TV's to make sure. Or put a post on here asking specifically if it will play 4K Blu Ray Discs. I wouldn't want to answer unless I was 100%.
The TV comes with HDMI 2.0 and it is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Now, if it does display in 4k, why should I be concerned about HDR? That to me is like saying that 1080 without a Darbee device is not worth having...I mean why get so peaky. I am getting more than 1080 correct?

Are you asking about HDR content, or about a sound base? Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused.
I am talking about playing the new Netflix content in HDR through the new Samsung UHD player connected to the Samsung UHD TV I listed above

The TV comes with HDMI 2.0 and it is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Now, if it does display in 4k, why should I be concerned about HDR? That to me is like saying that 1080 without a Darbee device is not worth having...I mean why get so peaky. I am getting more than 1080 correct?
I agree, although from what I've read about HDR content, it appears to be impressive. Although personally, as HDR sets your TV's backlight and contrast to maximum, without investing in "Ambient" lighting, HDR "could" be too bright viewed in a dark environment. I guess it is all down to personal preferences. I think a Genuine 4K Blu Ray Disc, would be extremely impressive, the HDR bit is just "a cherry on top". Although I still think 40 inches, unless you are sat very close to your TV, doesn't warrant 4K. As a good Blu Ray Disc on a good 1080p TV, wouldn't be a million miles off .

I agree, although from what I've read about HDR content, it appears to be impressive. Although personally, as HDR sets your TV's backlight and contrast to maximum, without investing in "Ambient" lighting, HDR "could" be too bright viewed in a dark environment. I guess it is all down to personal preferences. I think a Genuine 4K Blu Ray Disc, would be extremely impressive, the HDR bit is just "a cherry on top". Although I still think 40 inches, unless you are sat very close to your TV, doesn't warrant 4K. As a good Blu Ray Disc on a good 1080p TV, wouldn't be a million miles off .
I use a projector on a 130" wall/display for my 1080 viewing, this TV is exclusively for 4K content at close range. I am putting the TV on a stand with wheels so that I can move it around the room: move it at less than 2 meters fro me when I want to watch something on it in 4K, wheel it out of sight when I want to turn on my projector for 1080 big screen viewing

Makes a lot of sense. Although one thing I have noticed with the smaller Samsung 4K TV's, bearing in mind I could have just been very unlucky and got two bad TV's. Well I had a Samsung UE48JS8500T for my bedroom, and it had horrendous light bleed. It was swapped for the more expensive Samsung UE48JS9000 and this had similar light bleed issues. It wasn't until I got a UE55JS9000T, that I was happy with the very minimul light bleed. So my advice is , if you can, go to a TV store with a decent demo room. My local Richer Sounds has one. Then view the TV , with all the shop settings off, and just make sure it doesn't suffer with the light bleed that the 48 inch Samsung TV's seem to have.
Good advice, but there is a reason, a financial reason, why I opted for a smaller screen.
Like I said, 4K is not my main source of entertainment. I was going to purchase the new Samsung UHD player anyway for the Dolby Atmos content that is coming out exclusively on 4K format, so why not get a player/TV bundle:)
Also the second reason to get a TV is to give my projectors (yes, I have two of them) a break and save on lamp life span. During the day or when wanting to stream 4K or watch a 4K movie on disc, I will wheel in the TV from the corner and place it at less than 2 meters from me. When it's "movie night" then the TVs goes away and the projectors will be used for regular blurays, 3D movies, or streaming in HD.
I just hope that even on a 40-inch screen I will be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 4K. Other than that, I dont care if it won't be the best UHD display in HDR and zero light bleed

I now have two Samsung UE55JS9000T, one in the front room, one in my bedroom, and my kids have 40inch Active 3D Sony Bravia's each, in their bedrooms. It is safe to say, I have a slight "Tech Addiction".
I think even when owning one or more projectors it is a smart idea to still have a TV for "casual" viewing. Lamps can get expensive so I am trying to get into the habit of using my projetcors only when it is movie nights, or to watch that new bluray release just fresh out of the studios. Up to now, I was watching EVERYTHING on my projectors, and my wife also uses them when I am at work, so you can imagine how quickly those hours of lamp usage can add up!
The decision to get the Samsung UHD player led me into looking at 4K TVs within affordable range just so that both me and my wife can leave those projectors alone during daytime or when wacthing the news, or for other casual programs. In the long run the $400 I am spending on a so-so 4K TV will save me a lot of money on lamp replacements:)

Sounds like a good plan to me. I also am aware of the cost of Projector bulbs, luckily my Domino came with two. I brought it second hand, as I wasn't going to pay £13,000 for a projector, no matter how good it was. I also had a Panasonic LCD projector, so we have similar levels of AV addiction. I actually gave both my projectors away, one to a very good friend and one to my brother. As they just weren't getting used anymore, and I would prefer someone benefit from them than them be boxed up and in an attic.
What I find interesting is that with UHD TVs, unlike with HD 1080 TVs, you need to sit closer to get more out of it. With regular HD TVs, the closer you sit the more imperfections and pixelation you notice on the screen. Luckily for me I bought the TV with this:
Amazon.com: North Bayou Universal Mobile TV Cart TV Stand with Mount for 37'' - 60 inch [fits 32''- 65''] Flat Panel Screens LED LCD OLED Plasma Displays up to 100 lbs AVA1500-60-1P: Electronics

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What I find interesting is that with UHD TVs, unlike with HD 1080 TVs, you need to sit closer to get more out of it. With regular HD TVs, the closer you sit the more imperfections and pixelation you notice on the screen. Luckily for me I bought the TV with this:
Amazon.com: North Bayou Universal Mobile TV Cart TV Stand with Mount for 37'' - 60 inch [fits 32''- 65''] Flat Panel Screens LED LCD OLED Plasma Displays up to 100 lbs AVA1500-60-1P: Electronics
I would still point out if you sit "too close" you will still be able to pick fault with a 4K image. Especially if you have the sharpness set too high, which I admit, I used to do, until reading about "artifacts" from having incorrect picture settings. I tend to follow the advice on here for setting your TV up for an optimal picture

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Definitely a good idea, as I'm not sure how much the bulbs are in Dollars, for your projectors but the ones for my Projector were over £600 sterling. I was relieved when I got a spare , unopened, one with my Domino Projector. I definitely agree, I wouldn't use a projector for just daily use. I only used mine for "movie time" usually with my kids .
At the time I got the first projector and then the second projector I did not put too much thought into it, and I felt things would be alright moving to projector use exclusively. But now that I am noticing how quickly those hours of lamp usage are piling up, I grew concerned. Lamps for my projectors are roughly $400 or more, and I am only paying $449 for this UHD TV, which will cut projector use by more than a half, which is a HUGE savings when you look at the big picture (no pun intended hahaha):)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom