Question Netflix streaming always starts off at 480p

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
New to netflix In the user account I have it set to best quality when watching on my tv it always starts of at 480 and slowly increases to 1080, is this how it works? I thought it would start of at 1080 seeing it's set for that.

Yup that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work. Takes a short time to reach 1080 depending on your network speed.

Thought it was a setting i hadn't turned on properly cheers.
Edit: Am i right that netflix adjusts the bitrate according to how good your speed is.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve seen degradation on the odd occasion where something isn’t quite right. Seen it on Amazon too.

Clem

Cheers, Just noticed my Panasonic TV doesn't have a true cinema mode on the apps mode, Wondered why it seemed too bright lol

Going back to my original question, I have noticed it takes a minute or even over a minute to reach to 1080 is this normal ? I'm sure it use to be quicker.

Edit: What is the maximum bitrate for 1080?

Last edited:
I don’t think that it’s normal. I rarely see such problems, so to me this suggests some sort of network issue. Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, try an Ethernet cable connection instead, to see what happens, even if this is a temporary thing. If you are using power line adapters, these can cause problems — I speak from experience here, because when I used them before going for Ethernet cabling, Netflix was the only app. that would never stream consistently, regardless of platform. You could try an external device, such a Roku box, or ATV. The problem could be something to do with your TV if you’re using the embedded app.

These issues are never easy to troubleshoot and take time to resolve — again, I speak from experience. For me, connecting via Ethernet cabling, directly from router to devices (via a switch at the a/v end of things) eliminated all of my connectivity issues. Power line devices worked well, Netflix aside; streaming via wi-fi did work, but was glitchy.

The main hassle with direct Ethernet cabling is routing the cabling, and there are limitations on cable lengths, but flat, low profile cables are easy to run under carpets, etc. Good quality cat6e cabling is cheap, the chore is the time the installation will take, especially if it has to be wife/partner friendly and involves drilling holes in walls.

You need to investigate this in order to solve this if it bothers you. If not, just live with it. I know what I’d do — this sort of thing would drive me nuts (it did!).

Clem

Loading of the app on the TV is a bit slow so Yes it could well be the embedded app, I think the app version is old as its a 2014 Tv, doesn't seem you can update the app the only choice is uninstall no option to update, I will try the app on my bluray player.

I am connecting with wifi but will be hardwiring soon when I get round to it.

Cheers.

I am surprised on the bitrate of films the other night I watched Cloverfield paradox that was only 3.83 mbps I then watched a much older film Christine and that was 7.15 mbps.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom