Netflix PS3 Audio Quality

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by iamloco724, Feb 14, 2014.

1. iamloco724

iamloco724
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just starting to use my PS3 Slim to watch Netflix, i watched the first episode of the new season of House Of Cards last night and video quality no complaints but audio i wouldnt say its horrible but its lacking at times it sounds like a bad encoded mp3 there is like a swooshing sound not sure how to describe it at the end of certain words im sure some will understand what i mean

so im trying to see if this a common issue or if there is something i can do my connection is flawless i know its not anything with that i use a soundbar and i have no issues with other sources or blu ray on the ps3

any tips?

2. SirTiger007

SirTiger007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Have you tried it with other shows or films, is it just this one show?
    Sometimes Netflix has encoded the sound incorrectly and it needs reporting so they can fix it. Eg mission impossible 3 had the centre speaker coming out of the front left. I reported it (and presumably others did too) and it's fixed now.

3. iamloco724

iamloco724
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havnt noticed yet, will do more testing but i have watched stuff in the past few weeks and didnt notice it

4. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Are you using a Denon or Marantz amp. This is a known issue with titles that are encoded with dolby digital plus. If you look on an American AV forum you will find out more about this. Denon are releasing a firmware update to fix this overthe next couple of months. The way to fix it in the meantime is to let your player to re encode the audio. I beleive in the PS3 you can switch off DD+

5. SirTiger007

SirTiger007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Oh really?! I did not know this! I have a Denon 1910 and have never noticed any issues. I will try not to listen out for any in case I spot them! Haha!

6. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I am not sure if that receiver is affected or not, but I wouldn't look too closely because once you spot them on one title you will notice them on everything. The issue mainly affects the centre channel and can be spotted on s and f sounds in dialogue and when water noises are present on a scene. The issue was caused when Dolby issued a new encoder that halved the bitrate.

I have also re read the first post and had missed the fact the the OP said they use a sound bar so it may not be this causing this issue for them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. iamloco724

iamloco724
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah mine is a sony sound bar system