Question Netflix/Prime AndroidTV - manually lower quality?

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Mister_Tad, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Is there a way, on Android TV, or an Nvidia Shield TV specifically, to force a lower resolution/quality for Netflix or Prime streaming?

I live in an area with ropey ADSL, so my internet is made up of devices in the slow-lane (the ADSL, for things where speed isn't as important) and the fast lane (LTE, for the main PCs and video streaming), however the LTE is capped at 200GB/month.

This is fine at the moment, where our normal usage is generally within the cap, however I've been hovering over the buy button on a new TV and receiver for a good while (current thoughts are whichever 65" OLED comes out on top this year and an AVR850), and the cap has been the main thing that's been preventing me making a move.

Is it possible to to manually set the streaming quality in both the Prime Video and Netflix apps on the shield - as I assume that the second I set the output resolution to 4K, so too will the apps stream it?

If I stream everything at 4K with reckless abandon then it's going to chew through 200GB way too quickly, so would like to pick and choose depending on a) what I'm watching and b) how much data is left for the month.

Or, a bit more faff, but if I manually set the output resolution of the Shield to 1080p, would the apps follow suit? I have caught YouTube streaming in 4K in spite of the 1080p output resolution, but at least it has the options to set the quality/res manually. I can't find the same in the other apps.

For Netflix - I know you can set the streaming quality per-profile, so would making a profile for 4K and a profile for 1080p work? I have the middle sub tier at the moment, so the top option is "high" stating 3GB for HD and 7GB for UHD - so seems that's just the max available - I don't want to crank it down to medium. I upgrade to the UHD tier would there be a further option of "max" perhaps? Wishful thinking?

I can't make out how to achieve the same on Amazon though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Big-bada-bump...

Any kind soul with a shield TV, Amazon/Netflix and a 4K TV able to test this out?

3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi
    I'll have a look what settings are on the Shield if I get time (eg. force resolution to 1080p), no promises

but I'm fairly sure these apps all auto adjust bitrate based on your connection

another option is that many films/shows will be available to download - so you can watch later (mobile/tablet/win10 though, not on Shield)