Netflix post processing

Barcoing Mad

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in the day with a combination of Zoom player, ReClock and a screen resolution customiser with a name that escapes me, I could produce judder free playback of DVDs/WMV files at a refresh rate appropriate for my CRT PJ plus correctly pitched audio. 3:2 pulldown judder was a thing of the past - or so I thought. A little after for HD sources, I used a Crystallio II processor to much the same effect.

Roll forward a decade, and there's Netflix - good quality, but at a refresh rate which can be 23.9whatever fps, 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps - and play back devices which seem to be slaved to 50Hz or 60Hz refresh. Works for some of the frames rates, not for others.

I've tried feeding the output from an Apple 2 TV to the Crystallio II. The results aren't particularly good - there are sufficient dropped frames to introduce glitches, and I'm not in the mood to go for the PC route (I don't suffer dropped frames with the PC in front of me at the moment, but my other machine is useless).

Any ideas? Ideally a box, with a decent buffer and the ability to identify the source fps and tweak it to a digital PJ friendly 24/50/60 fps.

Roll forward a decade, and there's Netflix - good quality, but at a refresh rate which can be 23.9whatever fps, 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps - and play back devices which seem to be slaved to 50Hz or 60Hz refresh. Works for some of the frames rates, not for others.

Unfortunately Netflix don't pass the fps of what they are streaming to the device, if they did we could have some inbuilt solutions such as 24p output.

Lovely, and I hoped it would happen along with their 4K and HDR support (and Amazon too) but no joy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom