Netflix on Xbox or Smart TV?

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Often wonder: is it better to use apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime through my LG OLED Smart TV or through my Xbox One?

Trying them both out with Netflix, through the Xbox One, my av receiver shows Multi PCM whereas through the tv it says Dolby Digital. Does that then mean the Xbox is lossless?

There also appear to be some colour differences.

What are people’s’ thoughts?

I've found the LG apps (Netflix, Prime, Youtube, iPlayer, NowTv) to be at least as functional as even the ATV 4K ones. They support 4K HDR (DV or HLG) and Atmos via ARC to my receiver. Years ago TV apps were basic but thats not the case any more.

The streaming services use Dolby Digital+ with Atmos data added. This is not lossless and prob never will be - only disk has that. The xbox and ATV 4K both (as far as I know) decode to PCM with Atmos (called MAT) before sending to the amp - but this doesnt make the audio any better - it comes from the same DD+ from Netflix etc.

For Itunes movies and ATV+ and possibly Disney+ I will use my ATV 4K - its future software support where TV manufacturers fall behind consoles and boxes.

I run both Netflix and Amazon /Sky on my two Plasma TVs ! at 1080P on a 42 and 46 inch TV The picture quality is superb! I decided not to buy a SMART 4K as I do not want a 4K TV. 4K TVs are great if you have a large panel well over 50 inches . But up to that size there is no need for 4K

Any new TV you buy will be 4K.
A modern 55 could be the same physical size as an old 46 but use less power.
The PQ of new TVs is better and they're more compatible and flexible in connectivity and built-in apps.
A 4K TV offers HDR and WCG as well as the res increase,
1080 looks great on a 4K but the difference a 4K prog makes is considerable even on a 55 at sofa distances.
But apart from that you're right.

In ways I do not agree with jwsg because of the following !
1 more intrusion by the makers of the Tv in your viewing the so called smart is not smart it a way of the makers of your Tv to found things out about your viewing habits.
2. Samsung have just realised they can control what they want you to watch and they playing games with the owners of there TVs by not offering the service they say they are. older Samsung Smart tvs are not been supported now (Samsung words not mine) ! this is a fact . there also been a number of problems of people using there Smart phones from the same company, with connection issues.
3. Not every one wants Smart technology in there TV so there has to be an alternative to be able to swich the whole thing off !
4 I have a feeling they are not the only ones who are doing this or in the future by cutting off or down services they have agreed to give the owners of the TVs
5 Would i buy one? answer No and if i was forced too i would want those services switched off.
6 its bad enough having to use satellite connection in the first place (due to the fact i do not have a digital aerial and problems with neighbours has not helped . But i am very pleased with Netflix and Amazon )if only they had Sky too online through them !
7 I gather Sky will be stopping satellite transmissions in the future and only through the internet (not sure that good or bad ) this would have an affect on SMART technology and save Sky a fortune on renting there satellites . ( just imagine bad weather and no sky ?

So all in all i do not want SMART and very happy with my PLASMA TV which are non SMART

i find netflix app runs a lot quicker through my xbox one

Does anyone have an opinion on whether streaming Netflix HD using my Oppo BDP-105 Darbee has better picture quality than on my Sony (not 4K) smart TV app?

Sal Accardo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom