Netflix on SKY Q HDR box

mstar

Hello all

I just upgraded to the new SKY Q HDR box and Netflix Ultra package.
If i use the SKY Q HDR Netflix App, is that the a difference between the quality vs the TV Native app for shows in 4k/hdr?

Apologies for such a noob question.

Ataripower

I would always lean towards the TVs native app for viewing as you'll get the best possible resolutions your TV is capable of.

rs101

I would always lean towards the TVs native app for viewing as you'll get the best possible resolutions your TV is capable of.
Q box won't do frame rate matching or Dolby Vision HDR - you'd need to use the TV app for those.

But Q can be more convenient, so the choice is yours.

Pulse1

Hello all

I just upgraded to the new SKY Q HDR box and Netflix Ultra package.
If i use the SKY Q HDR Netflix App, is that the a difference between the quality vs the TV Native app for shows in 4k/hdr?

Apologies for such a noob question.
As others have said use your tvs native app as that should switch the refresh rate of the content on netflix. Meaning if the content is 24/50/60hz etc it will be output as such, where the sky q box will put everything out as 50hz which can cause frame drops/judder and can be very annoying. The sky q box is one of the worst devices for apps in my opinion in this day and age.

Toon Army

I always use a 4K Firestick rather than the inbuilt app on Sky Q. The difference in PQ etc is almost night and day at times depending on the native content.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
I would generally try to avoid the Q box for US content - as said above it does PAL speed up on that material which can sound weird after years of having 24 or 60 frame content on Netflix on a normal TV app or Apple TV unit etc. In that regard however it is much much better than the BT box solution, which forces US content into a horrible 50hz mode with tonnes of judder, or at least it did some while ago (it may have been updated since). At least the Sky Q box has an option to try and improve the frame rate in the App settings.

simon194

I always use a 4K Firestick rather than the inbuilt app on Sky Q. The difference in PQ etc is almost night and day at times depending on the native content.
The downside of the Firestick 4K is that unless you manually set it to a 4K 50Hz or 4K 60Hz it outputs everything at 1080p even 4K content with the Netflix app. So not really much better that the Q box.

bingodisco

That's absolute nonsense. I have the video resolution on mine set to Automatic and it outputs full 3840 x 2160 via the Netflix app on 4K content such as The Crown.

JSWolf

The downside of the Firestick 4K is that unless you manually set it to a 4K 50Hz or 4K 60Hz it outputs everything at 1080p even 4K content with the Netflix app. So not really much better that the Q box.
There is a setting for auto in the settings. You are not stuck with 50Hz or 60Hz.

bingodisco

There is a setting for auto in the settings. You are not stuck with 50Hz or 60Hz.
Only partially true. Only the Prime Video app will correctly match the frame rate of the source material and switch the HDMI output accordingly. Netflix, Disney+ etc will stay locked at 60Hz even with the 'Match Original Frame Rate' setting turned on and the 'Video Resolution' setting on Automatic.
You can confirm this by installing the Developer Tools Menu app which will give you an on-screen display of the source material resolution & frame rate, and also shows you the HDMI output format. Only on the Prime app will you see the HDMI output change from 60Hz to 24P when watching a US movie or TV show.

Pulse1

It's the same on the Roku streaming stick plus, Prime Video auto switches refresh rates no problem and so does the Now app which switches refresh rate correctly to 50hz. All Netflix content is output at 60hz on the Roku streaming stick plus which is the reason i ditched it and use my Sony X800 m2 Blu-ray player for watching Prime Video/Netflix and Youtube as it does auto refresh rate swithing for all three apps without any issues. These streaming sticks can't even get the basics right along with the Sky Q boxes, that's why i personaly don't use them.

Tingo

My denon avr-x3500h has a video scaler which is set to 1080p 24hz and plays Netflix via the sky q box or my roku ss+ which is plugged into the avr at the correct refresh rate. When watching sky it again plays 50hz correctly without adjustment. If you have an avr might be worth checking it's scaling settings.

bingodisco

The AVR won't be playing Netflix at the native frame rate as Sky Q can only output at either 50 or 60 Hz (with judder reduction on). If it looks OK to your eyes then great. I'll stick with my Apple TV 4K box that outputs proper native frame rates for Netflix, Disney+ & Prime content. The Sky Q apps can happily remain unused.

Tingo

Hi, I'm aware sky q only outputs at 50/60hz however when my tv changes frame rate it puts that up on screen and for netflix it's telling me its 24hz. When I watch a program on netflix that's 50hz such as Jack Whitehalls travels with my father it judders until I change the avr scaler to auto or 1080p only, so it's definitely working.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom