Netflix / Lovefilm = Neither

I have a Netgear NTV550 but it looks like the promised Netflix support is not going to happen as they now have a new model NTV200.

NTV200 Streaming Player

Using the PS3 or XBOX 360 (if it supports it)? is cool but most of them eat over 60 watts of power and are noisy.

I shall now try my new WDTV box to see if that supports it.

EDIT: My WDTV says it has a firmware update for BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK

HummerUK

Last edited by a moderator:
First movie okay on new WDTV box but I think the film had a cut, I guess for the sensor.

I will have to look at parental control settings.

Iplayer also works and with subtitles but at twice the volume of the Netflix app.

My amp also reported Dolby Digital+ sound on Netflix.

EDIT: Not a single title on Netflix with Stargate in it or for that matter Star Trek :(

HummerUK

I've setup Netflix (US) on my iPad, and I'm really pleased with the quality. So I tried setting up the same via the 360, and whilst I get the US site it doesn't show all what I've recently seen - only one item ? Whilst on the iPad it shows three or four.

Also I'm watching Family Guy, and I have black bars on each side (would like if possible full screen)....is this a 360 setting alteration needed here or something else? I've looked at my settings and it's set at 720

Cheers for any pointers :)

Last edited:
First movie okay on new WDTV box but I think the film had a cut, I guess for the sensor.

I will have to look at parental control settings.

Iplayer also works and with subtitles but at twice the volume of the Netflix app.

My amp also reported Dolby Digital+ sound on Netflix.

EDIT: Not a single title on Netflix with Stargate in it or for that matter Star Trek :(

HummerUK

All the Star Trek series are on Netflix US. Gotta love that, it would cost a tonne to buy every series.

All the Star Trek series are on Netflix US. Gotta love that, it would cost a tonne to buy every series.

Yeah that includes, The Original series, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager and Enterprise.

Also all Stargate SG1, Atlantis and Universe seasons are on the US site too.

Plus all Farscape, X-Files, Lost and Heroes seasons are there.

Pretty amazing i'd say. The UK site has much catching up to do.

Having had a proper look around the US service the amount of content on there is incredible. All the shows above, + every episode of 24, Cheers, Frasier, Buffy, Quantum Leap, A-Team and loads more. No adverts, cracking picture and not one stutter or buffer midway through anything I`ve watched so far. So long as unblock us keeps working well worth the £9ish it`s costing in total. Hopefully the UK service will be a success and add more content over the next few months.

Well the newest ones ive seen on there are troll hunter, insideos, no strings attached, fighter, toy story 3 & tangled i think they add new ones every week so ive heard

If Toy Story 3 and Tangled are among the newer releases on US Netflix then I think thats nothing to write home about, i don't care if they're not even available on UK Netflix or Lovefilm Instant- I've not even heard of the other titles ...

If Toy Story 3 and Tangled are among the newer releases on US Netflix then I think thats nothing to write home about, i don't care if they're not even available on UK Netflix or Lovefilm Instant- I've not even heard of the other titles ...

Granted their needs to be more cinema releases rather than straight to DVD films. But these were big films on the cinema.

Insidious - great horror film.
Toy Story 3 - As on the tin.
No strings attached - Romcom with top totty Natalie Portman.
Fighter - Excellent film.
Limitless - Another highly recommended film.
The Expendables - Not bad.

Anyone know any others?

Can anyone answer this ive started the free trial for unblock u.s so i can watch u.s netflix on my xbox, but my trial has run out but i can still watch it on the xbox but not my pc, when i 1st put it on my xbox I had to change my dns setting to the one on the unblock u.s set up info.

A friend of mine didnt bother with the free trial and just put the dns setting in and he can now get u.s netflix aswell.

Have I accidently stumbled on a freeby or is this a bit dodgy?

And what movies do you expect on there for £6 a month exactly?

And what movies do you expect on there for £6 a month exactly?

From a movies point of view I'm not so sure it's worth bothering with unless they introduce tiers , it's sort of missing the boat while new releases are desirable and people would be willing to pay a little extra to see them.

It's all very well paying only £6 but then for the movies on offer I think there is no point. Tv series are a different matter , but I only watch prison break and and dexter and would not watch them again, myself. Just my 2c worth.

Can anyone answer this ive started the free trial for unblock u.s so i can watch u.s netflix on my xbox, but my trial has run out but i can still watch it on the xbox but not my pc, when i 1st put it on my xbox I had to change my dns setting to the one on the unblock u.s set up info.

A friend of mine didnt bother with the free trial and just put the dns setting in and he can now get u.s netflix aswell.

Yep seems you just need to amend your dns settings on your xbox and you can access US netflix.

tausifs said:
From a movies point of view I'm not so sure it's worth bothering with unless they introduce tiers , it's sort of missing the boat while new releases are desirable and people would be willing to pay a little extra to see them.

It's all very well paying only £6 but then for the movies on offer I think there is no point. Tv series are a different matter , but I only watch prison break and and dexter and would not watch them again, myself. Just my 2c worth.

I don't think anyone regards Netflix as their primary source of viewing. I myself will look to iTunes or blockbuster if I'm eager to see something sooner. Combined with say Freesat/freeview, iTunes/Blockbuster and Netflix I think you got pretty much all bases covered and you can certainly make a saving by ditching your Sky subscription.

Today, on trying to resume "The IT Crowd", Netflix said my account had been deactivated and I had to re-enter my login name and password.

Afterwards at first, the picture quality looked worse but I think it is okay again.

Last night BTW, I tried it on my iPad which worked for about ten minutes and then would not play :(

Does it not like you have the app on WDTV and a iPad (not running at the same time).?

HummerUK

Quite a lot of people just changed the dns and didn`t sign up, from what I`ve read for at least some of them it stops working after the trial, although it`s unclear how they know that you`re using it if you haven`t signed up (?ip address, ?MAC address ?reading you netflix login). From a PC if you use their dns and try and go to a us site it redirects you to their webpage anyway.

To be honest my thinking was it`s worth £3ish per month and as a service that`s innovative, does exactly what it`s supposed to and "just works" they deserve to get income from it, so I`ve signed up, although it did work on my PS3 beyond the week trial. I`m now also able to use it for hulu, abc catchup (pc and ipad), and various other us specific sites.

I don't think anyone regards Netflix as their primary source of viewing. I myself will look to iTunes or blockbuster if I'm eager to see something sooner. Combined with say Freesat/freeview, iTunes/Blockbuster and Netflix I think you got pretty much all bases covered and you can certainly make a saving by ditching your Sky subscription.

It is interesting that there is an iPhone app- has anyone tried using it ? Whats it like , PQ wise ?

I already have a Lovefilm subscription for Blu Ray rentals and its great. My package is pay as you go and unf there is no online included. But they also have no iPhone app , only iPad and a lot of it is pay per view I think. I could change my package to monthly payment and get several free hrs online viewing, but sometimes 3-4 weeks can go by when I don't have a chance to watch a blu ray and the pay as you go is better value to me than pay monthly. At those times I found it particularly wasteful and decided to go PAYG. its the principle of it more than anything.

On a side note , I finally cancelled my £10 Sky HD sub add on. I watch so little of Sky's TV viewing ( can still watch and record the free HD channels) that the HD add on became superfluous and their Anytime seems to record only their TV offerings and not BBC ITV etc which I tend to watch- even more annoying is that Skys programs would still be recorded to my Anytime partition even though I didn't subscribe to Movies or those packages- a complete p***-take.

I also think the HD for Sky should be free now.

I might just try out the free trial of Netflix , but expect I would cancel down the road soon out of lack of use. But thats probably just me.

-can you access US Netflix from the iPhone app using the workarounds described ?

-Is it correct , Netflix doesn't work over 3G ?

Last edited:
Yep seems you just need to amend your dns settings on your xbox and you can access US netflix.

Did you need to delete the UK netflix app before doing this, or did you just change the DNS setting on the XBox360?

I've got the Netflix app (free) on my iPhone and the quality is fantastic. You just have to edit the DNS setting for the Wireless router that you're connected to.

After downloading the app:
1. Settings > WiFi > (your connection) > Scroll down to edit the DNS.

2. Then reboot the phone for it to take effect.
3. Open Netflix App.

I've got the Netflix app (free) on my iPhone and the quality is fantastic. You just have to edit the DNS setting for the Wireless router that you're connected to.

After downloading the app:
1. Settings > WiFi > (your connection) > Scroll down to edit the DNS.

2. Then reboot the phone for it to take effect.
3. Open Netflix App.

Thanks, does this allow you to access USA Netflix ? Pls clarify thanks.

Don`t need to reboot - just tap "renew lease", close down the netflix app if you`ve been using it (double tap home and shut down from there)
When you restart the app it`ll be the US catalogue that comes up :)

Don`t need to reboot - just tap "renew lease", close down the netflix app if you`ve been using it (double tap home and shut down from there)
When you restart the app it`ll be the US catalogue that comes up :)

Thanks. Can you download the app for an iPod Touch and can you set up parental restrictions for it ?

I wouldn't recommend changing the settings on your iPhone as all you Internet traffic could be viewed e.g. Emails

Thanks. Can you download the app for an iPod Touch and can you set up parental restrictions for it ?

App should be available for iphone, ipod touch and ipad. The parental settings are accessed through your netflix account on a pc - log in, change settings and save, will then take effect across all devices. Only downside is you can`t set a pin, so it`s a blanket block which you`d have to go back in and change back if you wanted to watch something.

I wouldn't recommend changing the settings on your iPhone as all you Internet traffic could be viewed e.g. Emails

Agree entirely, have said previously, log out of app store before doing this and change dns back to normal once finished. Probably worth switching e-mail etc off as well

rcaudwell said:
App should be available for iphone, ipod touch and ipad. The parental settings are accessed through your netflix account on a pc - log in, change settings and save, will then take effect across all devices. Only downside is you can`t set a pin, so it`s a blanket block which you`d have to go back in and change back if you wanted to watch something.

Agree entirely, have said previously, log out of app store before doing this and change dns back to normal once finished. Probably worth switching e-mail etc off as well

Don't forget all the apps that run one background or work on push.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom