Netflix HDR better than 4k blu?

Tim2049

I had a bit of a shock last night, in that I tried Blade Runner 2049 via my Sony AF8's internal Netlfix app and, much to my surprise, it had more 'pop' than my 4k blu ray version. I then booted up my 4k copy and tried to emulate that look, but couldn't. The blu version just looked a little dull in comparison...

Is this an issue with my blu ray player settings perhaps? It's a sad day when streamed content is looking better than physical media. 'Hopefully', this is an exception...

Hampy1972

All to do with bandwidth and Netflix is capped to 15mbs which is really nothing nothing compared to actual 4k disc. I have come across bluray's that are better then 4k discs myself, odd I know but it happens. Sometimes you can't even tell the difference (was that HDR or not)

Netflix really need to at least double the bandwidth, I watched the champions league final on Youtube in 4K and it was mindblowing.. running at like 60-70mbs.

Guess lot of factors do need to some in to play, TV, player, bandwidth and supplier.

jwsg

Ive only got 2049 on Itunes and although theres plenty of detail its not a film I'd note for pop - you need Aquaman for that

Yout dont want any blu-ray player settings affecting picture - you want enhancements off but all HDR on and full HDMI etc enabled

The difference is far more likely in the TV settings - with my LG every source has its own settings for each mode (i.e. SDR or HDR). So youre likely to have a fairly "natural" picture with a DV source but you might have a very over-the-top mode for Netflix.

With all TV settings corrected, Itunes in DV picture is good enough for me, its the lossless audio on disk that is noticeably better.

Over by there

My HDMI inputs can be awful if set incorrectly. A poor set of parameters perhaps is showing Netflix in a better light? I have not seen anything on Netflix that would make me drop the 4k hard copy.

Top Bottom