• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Netflix goes from strength to strength

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Subscribers up, revenues up, original content growing...

The fortunes of Netflix continue to flourish with a glut of new subscribers and a boost to share prices announced yesterday.

In the first quarter of 2013 Netflix gained over 2 million subscribers and its share value passed the $200 mark as the streaming service outdid industry forecasts of 1.7m new customers. Revenue for the quarter also reached record status by topping $1 billion for the first time.

Netflix also announced a new streaming option for larger family's or households where there are multiple rooms with access to the service. It's a US only service, for now, and allows up to 4 simultaneous streams, where the current limit is two devices connected at the same time. The 'super-size-me' subscription adds $4 to the standard charge at $11.99.

attachment.php

Reed Hastings, Netflix’s chief executive, and David Wells, chief financial officer also noted the success of original programming commission House of Cards.

“On February 1, we premiered all 13 episodes of House of Cards to enormous popular and critical acclaim. The global viewing and high level of engagement with the show increased our confidence in our ability to pick shows Netflix members will embrace and to pick partners skilled at delivering a great series. The high level of viewer satisfaction implies we are able to target the right audience without the benefit of existing broadcast or cable viewing data and the strong viewing across all our markets gives us faith in our ability to create global content brands in a cost-effective, efficient way.”

Netflix also revealed plans to launch a new European market during the second half of 2013 promising to say more about this on its July earnings call.

Attachments

• hoc.jpg
    hoc.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 489

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
If they can sort their fair usage limits I may just have to jump on Netflix soon.

Who's fair usage limits? Netflix don't have limits it's entirely up to your ISP and Sky don't have any usage limits and neither do talktalk on the plus package. It's entirely possible these days to sit there streaming stuff all day with no issues

Nevaborn

zAndy1 said:
Who's fair usage limits? Netflix don't have limits it's entirely up to your ISP and Sky don't have any usage limits and neither do talktalk on the plus package. It's entirely possible these days to sit there streaming stuff all day with no issues

Maybe limit is wrong word, policy would be better. Its a frustration thing as find very little to no information on their allowances a month as they will have to have as they need to know the load the servers can take.

But with very little available seemingly unlimited, we now get in all the ad's Use Responsibly indicating there is an internal fair usage limit. What If I want to sit down for the weekend and want to watch an entire run of a show over multiple seasons.

For me it needs clarification and something ill be sure to get in writing before I choose to do any signing up.

As for ISP's i dont believe any is truly unlimited, and once we get to 4k streaming we may see it all change and costs go up if people want the amount of freedom.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Netflix have no usage limits and Sky unlimited have no usage limits , you could sit there all week watching Netflix if you wanted to it's not a problem

Nevaborn

zAndy1 said:
Netflix have no usage limits and Sky unlimited have no usage limits , you could sit there all week watching Netflix if you wanted to it's not a problem

May be the case but like I say their advertising indicates internally atleast theres a certain point they will allow you get to then maybe send you a polite email.

Still dnt trust ISP's and people I know with Sky broadband who use it for anything more than emails have nothing but connection issues with them. But they are good value but more ISP's will match prices these days.

Im very cynical and dnt trust companies not to mess with my service even when they say they wont. But I would still get information in writing.

iainoco

I'm on Virgin (No usage limits) and use Netflix (No usage limits) via 2 streams alot. I have 2 kids and my Netflix is used via my Blu-Ray Player, Apple TV, Xbox 360, iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD and Android phone for Netflix regions around the world with no issues. With Netflix there is also no contract, give the free trial a go and see what you think. I can honestly say that it has changed my viewing habits and reduced my Blu-Ray buying :D Wife is happy as it saves a fortune.

CooperUK

I've barely bought any BR discs since singing up for Netflix...it's saved me a fortune :)

Movie BEXtra

What's the best way to go about getting this service ? my ps3 isn't connected to the internet yet and I'm worried about security. How is ps3 protected when connected to internet?

Nevaborn

iainoco said:
I'm on Virgin (No usage limits) and use Netflix (No usage limits) via 2 streams alot. I have 2 kids and my Netflix is used via my Blu-Ray Player, Apple TV, Xbox 360, iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD and Android phone for Netflix regions around the world with no issues. With Netflix there is also no contract, give the free trial a go and see what you think. I can honestly say that it has changed my viewing habits and reduced my Blu-Ray buying :D Wife is happy as it saves a fortune.

But i love my blu rays

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom