Netflix/Disney Plus + Atmos

Jimmybonds007

Established Member
Reaction score
So for the last 2 days I have read many posts in many forums. I think I know the rough answers now but it may have changed as some are over a year old when bandwidth/services were reduced due to lock down.

I'm in the UK, and have a 4K firestick plugged in to an Atmos soundbar which is connected to a 1080p projector.

Netflix

This will not output Atmos as my screen is 1080p and they bundle DD and Atmos together. However am reading 1 workaround - change the FS display setting to 2160p and not automatic to 'trick' Netflix.

Disney

Wasnt outputting atmos due to lockdown restriction bit now works bit ONLY if you change your IP address to the US

Finally workaround - buy a ATV as they both work on 1080p displays OR install Netflix and Disney on Kodi and it will all work

Pretty sure this isnt all correct so would love an update please :)

As far as I’m aware you can get atmos from Netflix on 1089p without a work around. The dispkay states 5.1 but once you play atmos it corrects itself. This worked on my Xbox one, fire cube and Apple TV. Maybe the fire stick is restricted on this though.

Thanks
As far as I’m aware you can get atmos from Netflix on 1089p without a work around. The dispkay states 5.1 but once you play atmos it corrects itself. This worked on my Xbox one, fire cube and Apple TV. Maybe the fire stick is restricted on this though
You mean the receiver/soundbar display shows 5.1 and then changes to Atmos. All the content in Netflix show only 5.1.

I mean Netflix will show 5.1 but if you find something that is atmos enabled and play it then Netflix seems to refresh itself and it will then display atmos for all other atmos content in the Netflix app. Your receiver should display atmos straight away as soon as it starts playing. So google a atmos film on Netflix, find it, it will show 5.1 but play it anyway and if should play in atmos, press stop and go back and Netflix will then show it as atmos.

You do need a device that supports atmos on the Netflix app though as not all do. That’s a separate matter, if the app doesn’t support atmos then It will never work. The fire cube and Xbox one supports atmos and acts as I describe above, I don’t know if the stick does support atmos, you will need to check that.

The only device I have seen that supports atmos for Disney on a 1080p display is the new Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:
So tried and failed. I used a FS 3rd gen which on Netflix's website is the only non-cube to support Netflix Atmos at 1080p. As soon as I hit play I get HDMI on the soundbar which then disappears after about 10 seconds. Going back in to the Netflix library all the Atmos content still says 5.1. Have an ATV arriving tomorrow so will try my luck with that!

You will be fine with the Apple TV 4K. It’s awesome but it wont show atmos on the netflix app as first as described above.
So only Apple Tv 4k, Amazon Fire Cube, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and Xbox can output Dolby Atmos via the Netflix app?

You will be fine with the Apple TV 4K. It’s awesome but it wont show atmos on the netflix app as first as described above.

So here you are referring to the latest Apple Tv 4K 2021 model but when used with a 1080p TV? With a 4K TV and 4K Netflix susbscription, the latest Apple TV 4K will output Doby Atmos?

So here you are referring to the latest Apple Tv 4K 2021 model but when used with a 1080p TV? With a 4K TV and 4K Netflix susbscription, the latest Apple TV 4K will output Doby Atmos?

Yes, when using a Apple TV 4k 2nd Gen it will play atmos with a 1080p TV as well as Disney and Apple TV+, but the first time you attempt to play something with an atmos track from netflix the netflix information won't show atmos until after you have played it. Once you have played something with atmos the app seems to refresh itself and then it will show atmos in the details
from then on.

With a 4k TV theres not an issue, it should play atmos regardless.

Yes, when using a Apple TV 4k 2nd Gen it will play atmos with a 1080p TV as well as Disney and Apple TV+, but the first time you attempt to play something with an atmos track from netflix the netflix information won't show atmos until after you have played it. Once you have played something with atmos the app seems to refresh itself and then it will show atmos in the details
from then on.

With a 4k TV theres not an issue, it should play atmos regardless.

So you are recommending an Apple TV 4K 2021 for Dolby Atmos via Netflix? I have a Nvidia Shield TV 2017 that I have had for a couple years that cannot output Atmos via Netflix. Would you recommend the APTV 4K 2021 as an upgrade from this? Also, how much of an improvement is Dolby Atmos over DD+ via Netflix?

I ended up changing my projector to native 4k. I then bought a Fire Cube. That supports Atmos across all main streaming apps but also is compatible with BBC iPlayer (UHD) which Apple TV does not.

So for the last 2 days I have read many posts in many forums. I think I know the rough answers now but it may have changed as some are over a year old when bandwidth/services were reduced due to lock down.

I'm in the UK, and have a 4K firestick plugged in to an Atmos soundbar which is connected to a 1080p projector.

Netflix

This will not output Atmos as my screen is 1080p and they bundle DD and Atmos together. However am reading 1 workaround - change the FS display setting to 2160p and not automatic to 'trick' Netflix.

Disney

Wasnt outputting atmos due to lockdown restriction bit now works bit ONLY if you change your IP address to the US

Finally workaround - buy a ATV as they both work on 1080p displays OR install Netflix and Disney on Kodi and it will all work

Pretty sure this isnt all correct so would love an update please :)

Hello my friend.

I used VPN for USA, but it doesn't appear Dolby Atmos available on DISNEY +, only 5.1, unfortunately on firestick I can only atmos in prime video. Would you help me?

There's a firmware update for my TH-65HZ1500Z model. It seem's that the stuttering issues with tv 4k sticks like my nvidia shield is fixed. I can watch disney + mutch better now. Just check guys if i am not mistaken.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom