• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Netflix Cowboy Bebop live action series (TBC)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
A Western live-action remake of Cowboy Bebop was in development with Tomorrow Studios and Sunrise Pictures. Chris Yost, a longtime Marvel Comics scribe and graduate of the Marvel Writer's Program (he's credited with screenplay contributions on Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnaork), is writing the series.

A feature-film starring Keanu Reeves nearly moved into production in the late-90s/early-2000s but stalled due to budget concerns.

The 26-episode anime series was released in 1998 and also went on to receive a 2001 anime film, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. The series is largely credited with launching the careers of director Shinichirō Watanabe (Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope, Space Dandy) and composer Yoko Kanno (Ghost in the Shell: TAS, Escaflowne, Wolf's Rain

In a press release, Adelstein stated,
"We are excited to work with Sunrise in bringing this beloved anime to the U.S. and global marketplace as a live-action series. The animated version has long resonated with audiences worldwide, and with the continued, ever growing, popularity of anime, we believe a live action version will have an incredible impact today."

Explore the far reaches of the galaxy in this undeniably hip series that inspired a generation – and redefined anime as an indisputable art form. The Bebop crew is just trying to make a buck. This motely lot of intergalactic loners teams up to track down fugitives and turn them in for cold hard cash. Spike is a hero whose cool façade hides a dark and deadly past. The pilot Jet is a bruiser of a brute who can’t wait to collect the next bounty. Faye Valentine is a femme fatale prone to breaking hearts and separating fools from their money. Along for the ride are the brilliant, but weird, hacker Ed and a super-genius Welsh Corgi named Ein. On their own, any one of them is likely to get lost in the sprawl of space, but together, they’re they most entertaining gang of bounty hunters in the year 2071.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
John Cho Will lead as Spike Spiegel

Cho-Spike.png

Mark_a

Prominent Member
Hmmm, a Western live action remake of a classic Anime... what could possibly go wrong? Still, I'll be happy to give it a try and see if it's any good.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
maybe someone can tell me the significance/connection of this promo?

edit i just saw him in the anime trailer above!

Imagine the entire season of Cowboy Bebop shot in Corgi-vision…
Come for a walk with Ein and meet the main cast of Cowboy Bebop on set.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
:eek:
Netflix has shut down production on their ‘COWBOY BEBOP’ series for 7-9 months following John Cho suffering a severe injury whilst rehearsing a stunt that will require surgery and a long rehab process.

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Netflix’s live-action series Cowboy Bebop series won’t premiere until 2021. The project is based on the Japanese animated program directed by Shinichirō Watanabe. Consisting of 26 episodes, the show chronicles the lives of a bounty hunter crew in the year 2071 as they travel in a spaceship called the Bebop. Although it dabbled in a variety of genres throughout its run, the influences of science fiction, western, and noir films are the most pronounced. Back in November 2018, Netflix announced plans for a live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.

mafaa

Distinguished Member

mafaa

Distinguished Member

Geoff Stults will play Chalmers, Tamara Tunie will play Ana, Mason Alexander Park will play Gren, Rachel House will play Mao and Ann Truong and Hoa Xuande will play Shin and Lin

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1559619

View attachment 1559620

View attachment 1559622

The last screenshot looks epic.

I am really excited to see the last episode and this:

I think live action wise they might be able to inject a little more emotion into the series which I always felt lacking.

I'm not the biggest Cowboy Bebop fan but I have really high hopes for this series.

bash

Prominent Member
I really dont know why they bothered with this. It really does feel like another example of running out of original ideas and jumping onto a classic in the hope its a hit.

I might watch the first episode if only to see if it captures the essence of the anime but these trailers do not give me any hope at all.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
All the publicity around the new Netflix series made me want to rewatch the anime (last watch has got to be around 10 years ago) so at the very least it got me to experience the original all over again.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Some middling to outright terrible reviews for this. Will try to find some time for it over the weekend but as someone who never loved the anime (I watched it again last month and still found it to be a bit of a grind) I'm not overly bothered if something else comes up instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom