Netflix comes to PS3 (almost)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by humanfish, Jan 6, 2012.

1. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
  2. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156

If you are lucky to have family who live in America you can have an additional American PSN account as well as a UK account and access Netflix earlier and also additional content not found on the Uk psn giving you access to more stuff:smashin:

3. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    I thought it was me as the App weirdly appeared.

Looking forward to Netflicks as from what i understand, they will focus on streaming (dont think they are offering disc rental) so i reckon they'll be beating Lovefilm in streaming area

4. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Noticed this last night, i.e. the icon on the XMB.

All I want is a monthly subscription, with unlimited movies (from a decent range) to stream, I would pay up to £15/m for this. Lovefilm is good on the disc rental, and some of the online is ok, but its clunky, PQ is lacking and limited choice. The Sony service has good quality HD options (on some stuff) but is over priced.

I hope Netflix heats up the competition.

5. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    This must be ready for launch in the next few days at least.

Its showing up in google searches and also on the home page here. £5.99 for unlimited streaming each month

[​IMG]

https://signup.netflix.com/?

6. Harrigan

Harrigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It launched sometime after midnight. I signed up to the free trail and started watching last years Saturday Night Live episodes. The quality is HD on Netflix too! The reason I never stuck with Love Film was because the PQ wasnt great. At the moment the selection is OK but not great. With it just launching though and the fact that its an internet based streaming site i'm sure it will get up to speed in no time, especially since they say it'll take 2 years to make profit in the UK.

7. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Im very impressed. Im sure it's broadband dependant, but it works 100 better than when i was in the US

Started my trial. For launch it's a decent collection. Seems it auto detects the quality for you and auto changes as it's streaming.

Its also 1000 times better than Lovefilms dire effort.

8. stevemc81

stevemc81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    What's the selection like? Does it have all the latest film releases?

9. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    £5.99 - unlimited streaming - THAT IS A BARGAIN!!!!!

Once the titles update quicker etc then this is going to be a must for any movie fan!!!

Going to have to check this out when i get home.

Lovefilm for BR and games - netflick for streaming a movie when ever I like!!

10. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Looks like it only has a few studios so far but they're about to announce deals with Sony, Disney ect

They have The Expendibles, 3:10 Yuma, Open Season 3, Sin City, Mall Cop all in HD to name a few.

When watching in SD, i can tell its a stream. As soon as it kicks into HD it's like watching a good SDTV Broadcast rather than something from BBCHD

11. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    how fast is your connection Benchy?

12. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    6.8mb download and on a wireless connection to my PS3.

im getting Infinity broadband of 32mb when i move in a few weeks and im expecting a faultless stream on but at the same time dont think it can be improved that much

13. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I tried both the 360 and PS3 versions and the picture quality in HD was great on both. Obviously "great" is open to interpretation, but it was as good as I'd hoped for. I tested it with an episode of The Office (the US version) that was available in HD with 5.1 audio. Both of my consoles are hooked up with a wired connection and I have a 20 Mbps connection. Initially, I only got 1 bar on the bandwidth meter and the image looked really blocky and horrible, but after a few seconds it jumped up to full strength and it looked great. Definitely better than a regular TV broadcast in SD. I haven't had a chance to look through all of the content yet to see if it's worth the £5.99 a month though.

14. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Sounds good! How many devices can you have on one account? Are Sony internet TVs included in the launch?

15. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I can't find anything on the Netflix site that says how many devices you can use. When I used to use the US version on my Xbox (before it was blocked), you used to have to enter a code into the console to authorise the device. With this UK version you just log in with your email address and password for your Netflix account and that's it. Once you've logged in once, the console remembers the settings.

There is a section on the Netflix site for activating/deactivating devices, but it doesn't seem to be relevant to the 360/PS3. It's at least 2 devices anyway! Or maybe there's no limit, but you can only sign into your account in one place at a time.

As for Sony Internet TVs, the list of devices on the site does show HDTVs, but the only logo shown is Samsung. Maybe that's just some sponsorship thing and it works on others though.

16. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Did you find the quality exactly the same on 360 and PS3? When i was in the US and tried it there. I found the 360 to do a much better job.

Whether thats down to the stream or the App itself im not sure

17. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I played the same episode of The Office on both and couldn't notice any difference, but I only played it for a couple of minutes on each console. I'm already convinced that the HD streaming quality is good enough for me on either console, so really it just comes down to content.

I would imagine that they're both streaming the exact same data from the same servers, so if you saw a difference in quality it may have been down to the signal strength. I've never found the PS3's wireless to be much good, but on a wired connection the streaming was fine and playing at the maximum quality. I don't know how much bandwidth is required to get the maximum quality though.

18. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Well I have 2 PS3s for media (inc streaming) but now one of those is connected to a Sony Internet TV, so its not really an issue, I think LoveFilm permit 3 devices (but a max of 2 PS3s?), I would like to have an option to stream on my Android phone.

19. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    @Benchy - Regarding bandwidth, on their site it says it uses up to 2.3 GB per hour if you're watching at the best quality, so you'd need somewhere between a 5 and 6 Mbps connection to get HD. You can actually select the quality you want on the site if you don't want it gobbling up all of your bandwidth too.

@matrix - The Android app is apparently out here in the UK too. I'm about to check in a minute.......

EDIT - Yep, the Android app works. I logged in and at the top was a resume option to carry on watching the episode of The Office I started up on the PS3 and 360. When I clicked it, it instantly started to play from where I left off on the consoles. Very impressive.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  20. CERBERUS40000

CERBERUS40000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    still no Netflix icon on my PS3 (Lovefilm vanished too) so can't download it

but I signed up and am running it on the 360, hundred times better then the awful Lovefilm streaming on PS3

Robot Jox in HD is worth the price alone lol

21. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Ive decided that when i move into my new flat that i dont want to give my money to Rupert Murdock and not get Sky. its expensive, and full of rubbish too.

Instead, like i said i'm going to get BT Infinity Broadband as i really believe the future (especially in TV content) is on Demand and Netflix has proved why i think im going the right route. Give it 6 months and im sure pretty much all of the studios and networks will have content on Netflix.

I do still dream of Hulu Plus coming to the UK too as it's all i feel im missing out on.

I personally prefer the look of TV and Movie media is shown on the new 360 metro dashboard. Added with All the other new providers they have recently added. Its an insane amount of content.

22. CERBERUS40000

CERBERUS40000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    still no icon on my PS3, oh well guess I won't be watching it on that then :( even my Wii has it now lol

23. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Spot on there Barry i think. Netflix will not replace the very latest releases in Blur Ray for me, but for a good back catalogue, good price, and good quality stream, i will give it a go for a few months.

From what i have read, people should not be expecting the very latest movies to appear on the service. At best they will appear a number of months after DVD releases. In that respect, i will be sticking with LF on my £10 package.

24. mark1080p

mark1080p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    For anyone who has not signed up... Do not bother!

The selection of movies is dire. It's layed out in genres in no order at all, some movies come under 2 or 3 different genres to make the selection look bigger.

The movies are mainly from the 80s and 90s.

Under the newest/latest genre are tv shows which you can watch on demand or set up series link on sky anyway.

If your looking for titles like Transformers 3, Bridesmaids, Harry Potter 7, or any other you expect to see on sky box office and/ or your local blockbuster.... You will be bitterly disappointed. I think Sin City was the newest release I saw (that I've heard of)

25. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    The newest release I saw was Drive Angry, which was released on DVD 6 months ago. You're not going to get all of the latest blockbusters for 6 quid a month all in though! I bet one movie rental on Sky Box Office is £5 or so.

To get the best out of Netflix, you really need to fill out the chart thing on their site where you can set preferences for the kinds of movies/TV shows you like, and also rate stuff that you've watched. It has some really good algorithms for recommending stuff to you.

26. uzer

uzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Netflix streaming has never been about new releases. And they have never advertised it as such. And honestly, alot of older movies are better then the recently releases as movies these days rely too much on special effects and forget the point of a movie is a compelling story.

Not to mention I find the greatest value in the TV shows that are on netflix. It has every season of 24. That's like 2 months of media right there if you watch 3 hours of 24 every day.

27. mark1080p

mark1080p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    There is a lot of people who don't know what netflix is all about. I'm still not sure myself

It's not blockbusters where you will get the latest movies.

It's got some good oldish movies like armagedon, robocop, chronicles of Narnia. All of which coincedently have been on BBC, c4 or itv in HD very recently.

I haven't seen what I would call classics like Starwars, Matrix, Jurassic Park etc.

It's Mainly tv shows which is not really any interest to me as their are older seasons. I picked up 24 s1-7 boxset for £20 in the sales. Any current tv shows I series link, still got half of boardwalk empire season to watch.

Sorry but it's not for me. I will keep with BBC Iplayer, series linking, 4OD and blockbuster for the odd movie at £2.99.

28. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Exactly. I know they apparently weren't great but i want to see the last 2 series of Heroes. I was going to pick them up on Blu-Ray for £15 but they are all there on Netflix. I know the quality is not the same but on my connection, it easily beats a TV Broadcast.

Movies are a bonus as i'll always buy ones i want on Blu-Ray but for £6 a month, i find this a complete bargain and ill definitely be subscribing

29. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Some people seem to be expecting FAR TOO much for £6.00 mth.

Sure that if all the newest latest releases were available you would either be paying £20/30 mth for unlimited at least or about £4 per film streamed.

30. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Visa sign-up only? Gahhhh!