Netflix colour & brightness differences between TV App & SkyQ App

nontechmike

Standard Member
I have a new Sony KD55AG9 OLED and the latest SkyQ Box both of which play sound via Optical Cables thru my pretty old Sony Sound system.

When I watch Netflix via the Sony TV App compared to watching Netflix from the SkyQ App, the colours are more muted and less bright.

Also where as I get 5.1 sounds output from the SkyQ App, I am missing the rear surround channels when watching the same programme on the TV App. It doesn't seem to matter if the programme is 4k/UHD, HD, or Dolby vision. Although only a few weeks old I dont recall it being like this when I first set it up

Also I get similar visual differences between the BBC iPlayer App via the TV compared to the SkyQ Box.

I have the SkyQ Box set to give 1080i video to let the TV do the upscaling but even when I change this to 2060p the differences remain

I thought since Sony make a bit of a thing over how they have been certified for Netflix maybe the settings behind the menu are actually different and maybe this could explain the Netflix differences comparing SkyQ to Sony TV Apps. But why are the iPlayer Apps showing similar differences and why do I only get 5 channel sound with SkyQ and not with the Sony TV - they both connect to the same optical input on the sound system (via an optical cable switch box)??

Any body else experienced this or got any theories on what is going on?

thedoswells

I have a new Sony KD55AG9 OLED and the latest SkyQ Box both of which play sound via Optical Cables thru my pretty old Sony Sound system.

When I watch Netflix via the Sony TV App compared to watching Netflix from the SkyQ App, the colours are more muted and less bright.

Also where as I get 5.1 sounds output from the SkyQ App, I am missing the rear surround channels when watching the same programme on the TV App. It doesn't seem to matter if the programme is 4k/UHD, HD, or Dolby vision. Although only a few weeks old I dont recall it being like this when I first set it up

Also I get similar visual differences between the BBC iPlayer App via the TV compared to the SkyQ Box.

I have the SkyQ Box set to give 1080i video to let the TV do the upscaling but even when I change this to 2060p the differences remain

I thought since Sony make a bit of a thing over how they have been certified for Netflix maybe the settings behind the menu are actually different and maybe this could explain the Netflix differences comparing SkyQ to Sony TV Apps. But why are the iPlayer Apps showing similar differences and why do I only get 5 channel sound with SkyQ and not with the Sony TV - they both connect to the same optical input on the sound system (via an optical cable switch box)??

Any body else experienced this or got any theories on what is going on?
Hi. Btw congrats on your new TV, very nice indeed. I'm interested in this as well.
I bought my new Panasonic oled in July last year and around the same time switched to skq q from sky hd.
I have the same feeling as you about Netflix, iPlayer etc.
As I'm fussy about these things I will tend to use the TVs apps for as much as possible, and just use the sky box for things like sky movies, sports and things where I don't care like the news.
Like you I have the sky box set to 1080i to let the TV do the upscaling, unless of course where I'm watching something like a uhd film. And my TV is very good at upscaling it, but I'm sure there won't be a TV better at upscaling than your AG9.
In my ignorance, I just assumed that it was a bandwidth issue, so sky was broadcasting in 1080i whereas Netflix, iPlayer etc. on the TV would be 1080p so would only need 1 level of upscaling, rather than 2 from sky. I guess there's more to it than that though.
I don't know about the sound issues in afraid as I just have a soundbar connected via hdmi.... Sorry I can't offer more.

nontechmike

Standard Member
Having dug a bit deeper, I now realise on my TV that each HDMI port has independent picture settings and these are override by different settings when the TV plays its own Netflix and Dolby Vision programmes (as distinct from something connected via an HDMI port) so I think this goes a long way to explaining the visual differences between TV Apps and SkyQ Apps.

BUT I still dont understand the lack of surround output when using the TV Netflix App.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom