Netflix audio problem

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I'm experiencing a weird audio problem with some (only a few) Netflix programs - the audio sounds like I've switched on "centre spread" on my receiver (I checked, it's off).

The centre channel is coming from all three fronts and as a result, dialogue sounds awful.

This is only on a few programs - the latest one I've noticed it on is "Prison Break", but I've encountered it in the past on other shows... but everything else on Netflix sounds fine.

My setup: LG Oled C8 --> ARC --> Pioneer LX59.
The receiver shows it's receiving DD+.

Any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?
I tried flicking through all the available audio modes on the Pioneer.

I also tried watching the same show on my Nvidia Shield:
Shield --> Receiver --> TV

Vid

Distinguished Member
I'm experiencing a weird audio problem with some (only a few) Netflix programs - the audio sounds like I've switched on "centre spread" on my receiver (I checked, it's off).

The centre channel is coming from all three fronts and as a result, dialogue sounds awful.

This is only on a few programs - the latest one I've noticed it on is "Prison Break", but I've encountered it in the past on other shows... but everything else on Netflix sounds fine.

My setup: LG Oled C8 --> ARC --> Pioneer LX59.
The receiver shows it's receiving DD+.

Any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?
I tried flicking through all the available audio modes on the Pioneer.

I also tried watching the same show on my Nvidia Shield:
Shield --> Receiver --> TV

I know this is a cliche but turn it all off at the wall for 30 seconds then on again and see what happens. Not sure if this is an LG thing or a hybrid issue but always worth a shot when wierd things suddenly appear.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks Vid, I tried that but it made no difference. :(

The issue is also there when watching on my Nvidia Shield so that rules out the TV as it's connected directly to my receiver.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Yep.

The confusing thing is that it only happens with a few programs - if it was all of them I'd suspect something in my setup, but everything else plays as normal on Netflix, as does Amazon Video etc.

I was unable to see any different audio options in the Netflix app, but I tried limiting my TV's ARC output to DD 5.1 instead of DD +.
Still the same.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I've not found a fix but I've found a workaround ...

I went into the LG's sound settings and selected PCM instead of AUTO as the audio output.

This seemed to work. My receiver displayed that it was receiving two channel stereo and upmixed it properly to Dolby Surround

Now... here's the weird bit.
It looks as though the 5.1 channels of audio for the DD track were somehow getting mixed down to two channels (L&R).

I put the TV back to AUTO and used the Pioneer app on my phone and muted my speakers one by one
There was no sound whatsoever from any channels other than front L&R o_O

All very confusing but though I'd share the workaround in case anyone encountered this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom