Quantcast

Netflix Atmos Issues and Problems.

Zeusyburger

Hey guys.... due to upgrade to gigabit broadband with Vodafone soon, so apparently I’ll receive 900mb dl and 900mb ul consistently

if this atmos issue is down, fluctuations with bandwidth then this new ISP should fix it...

I’ll update once it’s installed!

ReWired

Novice Member
Same problem - Apple TV 4k to Pioneer VSX 1131 in 5.2.1. Sony XD9305 at the end. Watching Our Planet and Attenborough keeps popping around all the speakers.

Tccaux

Standard Member
Well...I'm not sure this is a permanent fix but, after another session with the mostly useless folks at Netflix Help, it appears that signing out and in of your Netflix account seems to resolve the channel shifting and now the title pages of Atmos programs show them as being Atmos. Not sure I'm gonna hold my breath on this one but so far...

Zeusyburger

Well...I'm not sure this is a permanent fix but, after another session with the mostly useless folks at Netflix Help, it appears that signing out and in of your Netflix account seems to resolve the channel shifting and now the title pages of Atmos programs show them as being Atmos. Not sure I'm gonna hold my breath on this one but so far...
Sure I’ve tried this before to no avail... I’m holding out for my new gigabit broadband installation, as it seems to be related to bandwidth fluctuations and instabilities!
Let us know how you get on...

Cheers

Adrian95

Novice Member
Hello everyone, I’m having the same issue here - I’ve got a 2019 Samsung QLED and 2019 Samsung/HarmanKardon HW-Q90R 7.1.4 Soundbar, all media is streamed via Apple TV 4K. When watching a movie in Atmos through the Netflix app on Apple TV, the Soundbar changes automatically to Dolby Atmos, but it tends to jump from speaker to speaker at least 10 times throughout the full duration of the movie (cca 90min).
My first guess was that the internet connection was too poor to stream Dolby Atmos correctly, but then I updated all of my interner connection cables with new ones (1GBPS), I’ve updated my router to the latest firmware, I’ve also replaces all the HDMIs with the most expensive ones (UHS 2.1) and I thought that will actually solve the problem - but unfortunately it did not. I’ve also played with all the settings on all three devices, but that doesn’t change one bit. So yeah, I’m kinda frustrated, since now I own a 5000€ worth Home cinema setup with a 100€ worth of cables and wires and I can’t even watch friggin Netflix as I should be able to.
Also, while watching Netflix Dolby Vision content with HDR settings (ON) on my Samsung QLED, the movie content is just too dark, it appears 20-30% darker than it is originally while playing it on High RGB 4K SDR video settings on Apple TV. I guess that’s just some bad software compatibility between Apple and Samsung.
I’ve literally tried everything, every option, every setting, every troubleshoot, I’ve changes every cable... Nothing solves it. I guess it’s just a bug inside the Netflix app and that’s it...

AtmosLoverr

Novice Member
I'm experiencing an issue with Dolby Atmos on Netflix on my Apple TV 4K. I'm finding that multi-episode shows, like "Another Life", will play with Dolby Atmos activated initially, but that Dolby Atmos turns off whenever the next episode in a series starts automatically (audio is on but it's not Dolby Atmos, and the Dolby Atmos logo disappears from the "Info" menu whenever the next episode starts). I have to manually go to the Netflix menu and restart the episode for Atmos to resume, and for the Dolby Atmos logo to appear. I've tried turning off the auto-play next episode feature, but the problem still occurs if I click the icon that appears to start the next episode. Anyone else experiencing this? I've just opened a ticket with Netflix for this.

dhruv

Check this out...
Hey there - I'm the OP of that Reddit thread. Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution. I had reported it to Netflix as mentioned, but never heard back.

The issue is definitely software related (it doesn't happen on any other apps) and seems linked with the way the Netflix app buffers variable bitrate audio / outputs Atmos with the Dolby MAT 2.0 container. The problem is more apparent when the network connection conducting the stream is flakey (ie it will happen more rapidly on wifi vs wired; or if you artificially throttle the ATV's bandwidth in your router).

I'd suggest everyone impacted reports this to Netflix directly in order to increase awareness. I'd guess the % of Netflix's consumption from ATV4Ks with Atmos capable setups is fairly low, but if we make enough noise about this hopefully we'll get this on their radar and they can issue a fix.

reecelouie94

Novice Member
Given up getting decent audio from atv4 i play that audio through a stereo pair of homepods and everything else through the q90

p2tx8

Novice Member
Hey guys!
New to this forum and first post! I am also having the issue with Xbox One S and Netflix app: Every time that I want to stream any content with Dolby atmos, either I got an error or just get stucked at 24%.
I was able to stream perfectly fine any movie/docco with Dolby Atmos last year (Nov2019) but not anymore.
I was just on the chat with Netflix customer service but they are useless they just sent me an e-mail supposedly with steps to follow and the email was only a link to "what is needed to stream with Dolby Atmos" what a joke!! and then they asked me if I have everything needed to get Dolby Atmos.
At the end they just told that they will passing my feedback to the "right team"
Stay tuned for more update (if any)

Mathimus

Novice Member
Hi, I can confirm that I also have the same problem: Atmos in Netflix on Apple TV 4K with Denon AVR-X3600H.

I started noticing it while watching the "6 Underground" movie and then with "The Witcher".

I'm pretty sure this is a Netflix problem and hopefully they'll quickly come-up with an update.

Ironically I wanted to switch to my Xbox One X to properly play Netflix's Atmos content, but as soon as I configure my Xbox to play out Atmos, Netflix stays stuck at 24% while loading Atmos content and stuck at 20% while loading 5.1 content. Everything loads fine when the Xbox is configured to play out Dolby Digital.

It would appear that Netflix has multiple issues with Dolby Atmos...
This is exactly my issue. Atmos movies stay stuck at 24% when loading on Xbox one X. Running an LG OLED B7 with an Anthem 5.1.2 setup. Atmos games such as Gears of War and Borderlands 3 give no issues but Netflix movies are a problem. I've purchased a few Atmos movies through the Microsoft store. They can be glitchy at times but a restart will usually fix it. This is irritating with Netflix because this is why I purchased the 14.99 service.

Mathimus

Novice Member
I just deleted and reinstalled the Dolby Access App on the Xbox One X. Only 15 minutes into El Camino but it worked so far. It's worth a try. It resets the Xbox sound settings so make sure to re-enable bitstream and select Atmos after you reinstall the app. I'll post an update later.

Edit: I'm on my third Netflix atmos movie with no issue. I saw where another user also deleted and reinstalled the Dolby access app but still had issues. I "quit Netflix" first, uninstalled the Dolby access app, restarted the Xbox and receiver, then reinstalled the Dolby app (you don't need to pay for the Dolby app unless you plan to use headphones). Then went to sound settings on xb1 and re-enabled bitstream and Atmos. After I restarted Netflix, I had no more issues with hanging at 24% and there are no more sync/lagging/skipping issues.

I hope this is a permanent fix because I'm having fun rewatching titles in true and not emulated Atmos. Note: I can't speak for Apple TV users as I'm using an LG OLED with a receiver and 5.1.2 setup. However, I don't think it's a screen issue. It seems to be case sensitive compatibility issues within the Netflix app. Hope this helps someone else!

Last edited:

p2tx8

Novice Member
Same here (with Xbox/Atmos/Netflix issue) Uninstall/Install the Dolby App and so far ( 2 days) all working perfect. I read that if the issue persist, do a factory reset (Xbox).

FCarp

Novice Member
I just deleted and reinstalled the Dolby Access App on the Xbox One X. Only 15 minutes into El Camino but it worked so far. It's worth a try. It resets the Xbox sound settings so make sure to re-enable bitstream and select Atmos after you reinstall the app. I'll post an update later.

Edit: I'm on my third Netflix atmos movie with no issue. I saw where another user also deleted and reinstalled the Dolby access app but still had issues. I "quit Netflix" first, uninstalled the Dolby access app, restarted the Xbox and receiver, then reinstalled the Dolby app (you don't need to pay for the Dolby app unless you plan to use headphones). Then went to sound settings on xb1 and re-enabled bitstream and Atmos. After I restarted Netflix, I had no more issues with hanging at 24% and there are no more sync/lagging/skipping issues.

I hope this is a permanent fix because I'm having fun rewatching titles in true and not emulated Atmos. Note: I can't speak for Apple TV users as I'm using an LG OLED with a receiver and 5.1.2 setup. However, I don't think it's a screen issue. It seems to be case sensitive compatibility issues within the Netflix app. Hope this helps someone else!
Will try that fix tonight, thanks!

hardrock62025

Novice Member
I don’t know if its going to help anyone in this forum but i just changed my resolution from 4k 60hz to 1080p and i think it has done the trick for me although I won’t be getting dolby vision or hdr but thats okay for me(I don’t know how my video resolution is related to atmos problem)

IanW

Had this problem for the first time yesterday watching Lost in Space on Netflix via AppleTV 4K through to Denon AVC6500H. :(

FCarp

Novice Member
I don’t know if its going to help anyone in this forum but i just changed my resolution from 4k 60hz to 1080p and i think it has done the trick for me although I won’t be getting dolby vision or hdr but thats okay for me(I don’t know how my video resolution is related to atmos problem)
Yes, lowering the resolution usually resolves the Atmos issue. It would seem this issue is linked to bandwith, or actually throughput from Netflix' servers: I've had a lot of issues with newly released 4K HDR/Atmos titles, but I've tried rewatching some of the titles a couple of days later and the issue was less present. I'm beginning to question if Netflix' servers are capable of pushing all the required data when a lot of users a watching...

georgemaharis

Novice Member
Having same issue. Onkyo receiver. Contacted Netflix support, but not confident anything will come of it.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Is the issue happening on all titles in Netflix?
You
only titles with atmos audio
Sheila Mae Netflix
I see, thanks!
Sheila Mae Netflix
Do you have external speaker? if yes, have you tried to unplugged it and does the issue still the same?
You
i can disable atmos in the apple tv and the audio is fine
You
yes external speakers
You
all speakers functioning properly
Sheila Mae Netflix
I see.
You
if i unplug the external speakers you wouldnt be able to hear the issue, because the problem is sound going to the wron surrounds
Sheila Mae Netflix
Alright, checking further hold on please.
You
if i may - i did a little searching before contacting support - seems this is a known issue
You
[non-Netflix link blocked]
Sheila Mae Netflix
Can you retype that please?
You
i wanted to send you a web link but is was blocked
You
there is a fairly extensiv thread that already exits on this issue on [non-Netflix link blocked]
You
avsforums dot com
Sheila Mae Netflix
Can you retype the link with spaces in between instead?
Sheila Mae Netflix
There you go, checking.
You
there is a thread called Netflix Atmos Issues and Problems
Sheila Mae Netflix
Checking this with my support, one moment please.
You
ok
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thanks!
Sheila Mae Netflix
Just to verify are you able to play atmos audio via Netflix before using the same devices?
You
its a little hit or miss honetly - seems like the issue has always been there but MUCH worse lately
You
*honestly
Sheila Mae Netflix
I see.
Sheila Mae Netflix
So this issue has been happening ever since you use Apple TV and that external speaker but only for atmos audio, right?
You
and ONLY in the Netflix app - atmos sources from Apple Tv + play fine
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thanks!
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thank you for holding on the line, we are still checking this issue with our 2nd level support please bear with us, thanks.
You
thank you
Sheila Mae Netflix
Sure thing, one moment please.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Can i get the make and model of your external speaker?
You
Using an Onkyo TX-NR646 home theater receiver with 5.1 channel surround + 2 front height channels
You
apple TV is connected directly to receiver via high speed HDMI
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thanks.
You
Netflix app is the only app with the audio issue
Sheila Mae Netflix
Can you Click Here and tell me if its on HIGH or AUTO?
You
High
Sheila Mae Netflix
Also, please open a new tab and go to fast.com and tell me what would be the result you are getting.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thanks!
You
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thank!
Sheila Mae Netflix
The brand of your external speaker is Onkyo, right?
You
Home theater receiver is Onkyo. Speakers that are attached are Infinity
Sheila Mae Netflix
Thanks!
Sheila Mae Netflix
As i checked for that brand if its compatible with Dolby Atmos on Netflix and we are not getting any results. Possible that it is not supported so we recommend for you to consider contacting your device manufacturer for more information if your device is supported or not for Netflix service.
You
Atmos is a standard, and the receiver supports the standard
Sheila Mae Netflix
I understand
Sheila Mae Netflix
However, not all external speaker are supported with Dolby Atmos on Netflix.
Sheila Mae Netflix
We checked that by brand and if we cannot locate any details for that brand that means it is not supported.
You
Were you able to viiew the link i suggested? Seems this a wider issue even with brand new components?
Sheila Mae Netflix
We have no option to checked that linked from our end but i already forwarded that to our support. Also, i can take that as a feedback instead.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Feedback is actively reviewed by our Product Support team. Also, Feedback is assessed and prioritized based on the customer impact.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Is there anything else that I may assist you for today?
You
direct from onkyos website
You
DSD decoder, DTS 96/24, DTS Express, DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
You
formats supported
Sheila Mae Netflix
I understand
Sheila Mae Netflix
It may be supported with Dolby Atmos for our apps but not on Netflix as again, not all external speaker is supported with Dolby Atmos for Netflix.
You
So what you are saying is netflix is using their own version of Dolby atmos which is causing the incompatibility for users?
You
That seems like an odd choice?
Sheila Mae Netflix
I understand
You
will this be address in future updates of the app?
Sheila Mae Netflix
You have to contact your device manufacturer. And to answer your question, yes, there are setup that worked for other s but on Netflix. But for this one, I suggest to versify this with the device manufacturer. If the device is not working properly due to compatibility ,we cant give any further steps.
Sheila Mae Netflix
Regarding future updates, that we could not guarantee but again i will take this as a feedback instead. Feedback is actively reviewed by our Product Support team. Also, Feedback is assessed and prioritized based on the customer impact.
You
Hmmm, expected more from support considering this issue is being encountered by many and my equipment plays all other Atmos sources properly
Sheila Mae Netflix
For now, what I can do is to take this as feedback as this is already device specific concern.
You
Please forward this issue up the chain if possible - thank you
Sheila Mae Netflix
Rest assured this feedback will be heard and duly noted.

georgemaharis

Novice Member
Just out of curiosity - Anyone still having the issue? Watched a show we were having issues with last night (Night on Earth) and no problems. Wonder if "Sheila Mae" fixed it?!?

Slinkoff

Yes. Found this thread today because I was troubleshooting and Googling the problem. Initially thought it was my amp but seems not.

ATV 4K
Denon X4300H
Hisense 75N6800

It's not too bad but definitely noticeable. First noticed it in The Witcher, especially in the start but occasionally during the show too. Audible click and channel briefly moving to the wrong speaker and back again. Very distracting. I can play the same bit of content over and over and it will happen in different places, sometimes not at all, sometimes worse. Definitely seems like bandwidth problems.

ssjandres

Novice Member
Hey guys,

I was looking for something else, but found this thread, and I can definitely "help" you understand what's going on.

I started to get bad throttling from my Internet Service Provider (ISP) last Thursday. Specifically with Netflix. If I ran a normal internet speed test, I would get 380/360 (I'm on a 300/300 AT&T fiber plan), but if I tried Fast . com (Netflix servers), i would get a very inconsistent 1-60 Mbps speed. This didn't use to happen before last Thursday and fast .com would show the same ~380Mbps speeds. Amazon prime video, Hulu, iTunes movies (everything) would play perfectly fine, not one second of buffering before playing a new video, top quality image and audio, etc., but Netflix was definitely being slowed down on purpose.

Since that day, I started getting exactly what you've described, with center channel audio jumping to other speakers, usually top ones, or just front left and right speakers. Playing Netflix from my windows 10 pc and using the CTRL+Shift+Alt+D hotkey to show video/audio stats, the menu showed "audio bit rate buffering" fluctuating drastically, all the time (as with video going between 8000, 10000, and 16000, all 3840x2160 or 4k - which is less noticeable than audio channels jumping all over the place).

I finally figured a way to overcome ISP throttling (fortunately without paying for a VPN), and speeds in Netflix (and fast .com) are back to normal (~380/350). Audio is back to normal again. So it's most definitely the variable/fluctuating bit rate. I don't know if in your case is also your ISP that is throttling your Netflix speeds, but i 100% believe the issue is caused by fluctuating speeds. Hope this helps you all.

And since I got you here, the question I was looking for to be answered was: have u ever compared 5.1.2 Atmos vs regular (compressed) 5.1, or 7.1.2 Atmos vs 7.1? I've noticed that in some movies/shows (specifically for me 6 Underground and Spinning Out) there are a lot fewer rear/side channel sounds (including music tracks and just sound effects) that play while in Atmos. Regular 5.1 and 7.1 seem to use the rear and side speakers much more often. Have you guys experienced this? Is it normal? Is it one of those things were fewer is supposed to be better because it's more "genuine"? I've temporarily disabled Atmos and am using 7.1 LPCM (uncompressed) because it feels better with the more frequent use of rear/side speakers.