Quantcast

Netflix Atmos Issues and Problems.

Mikeybarrkid

Novice Member
DOLBY ATMOS NETFLIX ISSUES

Hi. Just wondering if anyone had issues with Dolby Atmos titles on Netflix. I’m running Apple TV 4K through a Denon receiver. The audio seems to flicker randomly from one speaker to another. Not constant but every few mins or so. When I watch films through iTunes on the same Apple TV they are perfect.

Zeusyburger

I have this exact same problem... the Center speaker where the dialogue comes out, intermittently plays through the rear speakers then back to normal

can’t find any solution, nor is there anyone with similar issues online!

Mikeybarrkid

Novice Member
That’s exactly my problem. So glad it’s not just me. (Sorry)What is your full set up? What projector/TV and receiver?

Zeusyburger

ATV4K > Denon AVR x2500h > Sony Af9 oled

it’s been happen for a while... first noticed the issue with “our planet” on Netflix Apple TV app (but only on that app) every other source is fine!

I’ve tried everything, feel like I’m just going to have to live with it...

Some content is unwatchable this way though, it’s a shame after £thousands spent we’re having these issues

Mikeybarrkid

Novice Member
I’m ATV4K and denon x2600. If you watch Netflix on anything other than the Apple TV4K chances are it’s not playing in Atmos. Not many devices stream Netflix with atmos which is why I chose the Apple TV. I found it with Our Planet and the new breaking bad movie. Both say they are playing in Atmos. Let’s hope there is some kind of update at some point.

Zeusyburger

Yeah get the feeling an update would resolve this... the Xbox one x plays atmos track on The Netflix app, and noticed carnival row plays in atmos on amazon prime too, even though it only says 5.1 in the description...

the fact that atmos can be played as intended through ATV4K through iTunes and amazon prime, leads me to believe it’s a software/compatibility issue with the Netflix app?

I’ve only found one other similar complaint after weeks of searching the internet.... would appear to be a very small affect few, which dosnt give me confidence.

ive noticed the Apple TV darkens some Dolby vision content when compared against the same content on the TVs internal app

also could you please do me a huge favour?
Have a look at your purchased iTunes movie library, scroll to the bottom row, providing you have more than ten titles in your library... does the bottom row of thumbnails, display fully?? Mine cut off the bottom third...

never noticed that before

Attachments

Mikeybarrkid

Novice Member
Sorry I’m new to Apple TV and only have about five films so far. If I have the same problem when I get to 10 films I’ll post back here and let you know.

Zeusyburger

!!!! Think I’ve fixed it mate!!!!!

right bare with me... go to settings on ATV4K > video and audio > audio mode :

change this from auto to 16bit

Now on the internet this say I will only receive upto 5.1 channels

however.... I am definitely 100% getting atmos playback... through Netflix on Apple TV, no its bait faux atmos, this night channels are playing a completely different track to the front and rear....

no switching noted as of yet

i recon there’s some kind of bug that’s switching something somewhere... due the the initial auto option...

Let me know how you get on! Good luck

Mikeybarrkid

Novice Member
Dam. Does t fix it for me. Makes it a bit better but still jumps about a bit. Thanks for letting me know though. I bought a few films last night. Mine all show on the screen no problem.

Steve Webb

I would suggest this is definitely an ATV4K issue as I have absolutely no issues playing Atmos content in the Netflix app from my LG OLED to my Denon AVR.

Last edited:

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I am having this problem when watching with my AF9 and atmos on my ATV4K. Exactly as you describe, centre speaker jumping to rear speakers. Really annoying. I am using the TV as a centre speaker with a full surround system and front heights. I think it may be something with Netflix on the ATV4K and the AF9 thats not right. We need to raise this somewhere :-(

Mr109

I get this on ‘Our Planet’ only noticed it on this though. ATV and Marantz 7012.
Al

Zeusyburger

Mine still does this, regardless of anything I’ve tried!

I’ve even emailed denon, but there reply wasn’t relevant at all...

I believe it’s the Netflix app that’s the problem on ATV4K

sometimes it says audio track is 5.1 until I restart the Apple TV itself

thank you for you feedback

Zeusyburger

No mate not as yet... I mentioned it at the Apple store, but the only advice they gave was to uninstall the Netflix app and reinstall it, which I did...

made no difference

please let us know if you find a fix

Zeusyburger

I have the exact same problem. Did anyone manage to find a fix?
What’s your set up??

it’s gotta be software related, cause it’s isolated to atmos content on Netflix via Apple TV4k box

(Happens with “the Irishman” too)

atmos on other apps is great no problem

Tccaux

Standard Member
I'm having same problem. Set up with new Marantz SR8012 and ATV4K. Talked with Marantz and they had me do factory reset. All it did was move jumping from center to right surround to back surround. I've tried Atmos movie on iTunes and no problem. I'll double check Prime as well. There's enough similar problem to point to Netflix app...

Tccaux

Standard Member
Just got off the phone with Netflix. Pushed to talk with supervisor and spent an hour going over issue. They're reporting up the food chain. Best action is if everyone does the same. The more reports the faster they'll possibly address the issue.

Tccaux

Standard Member
Zeus, like you I can run Netflix through smart tv app and no problems with Atmos channel jumping. Sound through ARC HDMI. As you've dug through this, have you seen any issues except with Denon and Marantz receivers? Both D+M products... So, looks like it's the Netflix app on ATV4 running through D+M products...?

Zeusyburger

Just got off the phone with Netflix tech support, she was helpful but ultimately directed me to an email to report my issue... which I’m having trouble doing as there’s no report for to fill in in the email link

it was an American call center and she was talking me through changing my audio settings while watching a problematic atmos show

she seemed to have more options in the language setting than I did

I only had English, English AD, French etc

she had English 5.1, English atmos etc

I’ve not seen any posts where people are having the same problem with any other receivers...

I don’t know, if almost come to live with it! But would love it to get sorted

Zeusyburger

My ATV4K is connected directly to denon receiver, I have it set to passthrough as I don’t want any processing

then an HDMI lead to the tv from the denon

tried connecting the ATV4K directly, but I was looking to see if this improved the picture

so I didn’t notice the sound problem